iluvtofly

Every wonder how just "not normal" we are?

Like many of you, I have a "normal" 9-5 office job during the week. I put on the professional persona and carry on. However, listening to the conversations of the people around me (I don't really talk to them a whole lot due to a lack of common interests) I really wonder how they can live such boring/sheltered lives.

Unfortunately I know ALLLL about Honey Boo Boo cause it's one of their favorite shows. I could also probably tell you what is currently happening on a lot of shows that I have never seen. Yes, I watch TV and talk about 1 or 2 shows that I love with others who I know like them as much as me (Walking Dead is my absolute favorite) but it's not the majority of my conversations. (Also, apparently South Park is the most "unfunny" thing known to man and references to it shouldn't even be allowed on channels other than Comedy Central.)

Every morning I also get my daily dose of Jesus (no offense meant to any one religious out there) thanks to them reading their daily devotionals together and discussing them. If religion is your thing, that's fine. But I personally don't want to be hearing about it on a daily basis. Do that at home.

I think the real kicker was the 20 minute conversation this morning about "bad words". The one lady was going on and on about how she felt horrible for saying "crap" around her 16 year old niece cause it was such a bad word. I wonder if she realizes exactly what kind of words that girl has probably heard in school?

All of this on a daily basis makes me wonder what they think of me, and what they would think of me if they truly knew who I was and how I act when not in the office. I'm fairly boring during the week cause I have to be at work. But I could never imagine living that life 24/7.

They consider it an exciting weekend if they spend it gardening or walking the dog (which from the sounds of it only happens maybe once a month). To come in on Mondays and hear, "My weekend was so great. I got the whole house dusted, the garden weeded, and even had time to vacuum" makes me think about telling them all about my weekends spent at the dropzone. hahahaha

So, after this extensive rant with really no point (sorry, they're just driving me insane and I needed to vent a bit) I guess the big question is, are we really that abnormal to lead the awesome, amazing, adventurous lives that we do? Or are the people I work with unusually boring and sheltered? Pretty sure some of them have never left the state of GA either. lol

"My weekend was so great. I got the whole house dusted, the garden weeded, and even had time to vacuum" makes me think about telling them all about my weekends spent at the dropzone. hahahaha

I actually love it when I have a completely clean house too. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"My weekend was so great. I got the whole house dusted, the garden weeded, and even had time to vacuum" makes me think about telling them all about my weekends spent at the dropzone. hahahaha

I actually love it when I have a completely clean house too. :ph34r:

I agree having a clean how is comforting and nice. But would you consider it an "exciting weekend" if that's all you did?

I agree having a clean how is comforting and nice. But would you consider it an "exciting weekend" if that's all you did?

So many different activities make me happy other than skydiving, it just depends on what mood I'm in. There are some weekends where all I want to do is stay home and putter, but maybe that's just because I really love the home that Mark and I have created. Maybe when you're a homeowner, you'll understand. Taking care of your home is just a different sense of happiness and accomplishment. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So many different activities make me happy other than skydiving, it just depends on what mood I'm in. There are some weekends where all I want to do is stay home and putter, but maybe that's just because I really love the home that Mark and I have created. Maybe when you're a homeowner, you'll understand. Taking care of your home is just a different sense of happiness and accomplishment. :)

Maybe. I just couldn't picture that being what I did every single weekend. I do enjoy the occasional weekend at home just sitting around an relaxing. But usually by Sunday afternoon I'm bored out of my mind and ready to pull my hair out. :D:D

Every morning I also get my daily dose of Jesus (no offense meant to any one religious out there) thanks to them reading their daily devotionals together and discussing them. If religion is your thing, that's fine. But I personally don't want to be hearing about it on a daily basis. Do that at home.

Good thing you don't work HERE
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was at the dental hygienist yesterday. She asked "So do you have a fun weekend coming up?"
"Yeah.":)"What are you doing?"
"Uh, going skydiving some."
"Oh my gosh. That is sooo cool."
"Well, my wife and I go every weekend so not really, I mean, ya know . . .":S:D

At work I don't really talk about it much except to a few that know us well. Many of my coworkers are active and athletic, though, not a total bunch of couch potatoes. But what Vskydiver and I do at the DZ is off the scale for the whuffo world, so I just let it slide. :D

I have to admit I am pretty proud of some of the people I get to jump with that also jump into the Seahawks games and do movie stunts. I hear about that stuff at work and it's cool to be able to say "Yeah, I know that guy. We jump together sometimes." B|

That really is one of the cool things in our sport.

I'm with you. I think of all the stupid/funny/crazy things I see and do at the dropzone every weekend, and it makes it hard to relate to the "normal" people back at work.

To each their own I guess, but I do feel that some people have no idea what they are missing out on.

At work I don't really talk about it much except to a few that know us well. Many of my coworkers are active and athletic, though, not a total bunch of couch potatoes. But what Vskydiver and I do at the DZ is off the scale for the whuffo world, so I just let it slide. :D

Everyone at work knows (well, those who didn't now know because I was featured on our departmental all-hands call - they like to talk about the fun stuff people do outside of the office). But like you, I also work with a lot of people who do interesting things in their life. The only TV show I've ever talked about at the office is Mad Men, with my boss, and I usually have to remind her not to talk about the new episode with me on Monday mornings since I can't watch till Monday night when the show's available on streaming. Definitely not a Honey Boo Boo crowd. :D

I have to admit I am pretty proud of some of the people I get to jump with that also jump into the Seahawks games and do movie stunts. I hear about that stuff at work and it's cool to be able to say "Yeah, I know that guy. We jump together sometimes." B|

That really is one of the cool things in our sport.

Totally. Lately my dad's been into sending me links to articles about some of the cool, positive coverage that skydiving has been getting. Of course I'm not going to say "Hey Dad, I already know about this" because I'm happy he's interested and I'm happy he's sending the good stuff, not links to every fatality article out there. Plus it's very cool to say "Oh yeah, a bunch of my friends were on that head down world record" or "Yeah, I know some folks who are helping out with the Red Bull Stratos project." :D

I feel like most of the people I know outside of skydiving do cool and interesting stuff themselves; it's not the same stuff I do, but they're not boring people.

I did, however, recently go into a Michaels craft store to buy some photo frames (for my "I Love Me" skydiving wall, of course:D), and since they hide them in the back I had to walk through all the other craft stuff first. I have to admit that I look at that and wonder that it's that interesting to so many people that a store like Michaels can exist. But exist it does, and hey, to each their own, right? :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I heard race car drivers and people like us are the most sane group ever studied. So yea, the whuffos are fucked up beyond belief if WE are the sane ones.:D

I always say "If a skydiver thinks something (or someone) is crazy, it probably is crazy".

I don't know how you could work there. You must be a little crazy to handle that. I bet it helps. :DLove you.:)

It's all relative.

I was at a gathering of skydivers in a place providing fine beverages, and one guy (who I didn't know, old timer who hasn't been jumping in a long while I guess) showed up wearing a T-Shirt of the local BDSM group. :D. Who's the normal one? lol

Remster

I'm originally from a small town in Illinois, still have some friends up there I keep up with on FB.

A couple months ago I did a local (there) radio interview about jumping Oshkosh which led to some discussion about some other things I've done & been doing as well.

Afterwards I thanked the DJ guy for giving me a call and I hoped we didn't run on too long. He said no it's great hearing from someone out in the world & not living a 'normal' life!

Huh? :$

I made a comment during the interview about "gotta make every day count, when the game's over it's better to say glad I did instead of wish I would have."

I guess they snipped that line and played it several times in the following weeks. :D

So last weekend was my (older by 3 years) sisters 40th high school reunion, I talked to her Monday and she said she had two 'claims to fame' so to speak.

One was that she was one of the classes top brainiacs...

The other ~ she's MY sister! :D:D:D

Sis said three times as many people wanted to know what I was up to, as did what she was doing these days. :o

I told sissy she REALLY needs to get OUT more! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nothing like coming back to work after a Lost Prairie boogie or a BASE jumping trip.

"How was your weekend Grimmie"?

"Fine"B|

Don't waste time trying to explain it:P

Hahahahaha. Yeah I know how that goes. Before I even left for LP I talked it up so much (just cause I was so excited) that several people in the office (including the VP) said they wanted to see pics when I got back. Yeeeeahhh...there was a "heavily edited" folder on the desktop and those were the ONLY pics they got to see. ;):D

So last weekend was my (older by 3 years) sisters 40th high school reunion, I talked to her Monday and she said she had two 'claims to fame' so to speak.

The sushi dinner I mentioned in my other thread was with a friend from high school (we also went to the same college, but didn't really run in the same circles as much then, though we were always friendly when we did see each other). We didn't reminisce much about high school (too busy catching up on our lives today!), but the one thing we both observed was how many people we grew up with were still living in the suburb that we grew up in, and how many had married people from our class. Now, I'm not going to criticize a happy marriage (and many have gone the distance) but both of us appreciated the fact that we'd met our current partners farther along in our lives, and that we'd done a lot of cool living in between. He's an avid mountain climber, as passionate and involved in that as I am in skydiving. Are either of us "normal"? Depends on how you define it. :D:D But I know I'm pretty happy and he sure seemed to be that way too. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Let's see they talk about Jesus, honey bo, bo, and bad words everyday where you work. Do they do any work?

Long ago and far away. I got a job sweeping floors in a place. Worked my way up to number 2 guy in the company. Thousand people worked there. I quit, because I wanted to go on vacation, and the BOD said I needed to be there. As I left the meeting someone ask, what kind of a vacation was so important, that I would give up all this stuff. National parachute championships, I told them. Stunned silence. No one there, ever knew I jumped.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

You must be a little crazy......

Thinking you are crazy proves that you are sane.
Thinking you are sane proves that you are crazy.

Now that's one viscous cycle of insanity right there...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Let's see they talk about Jesus, honey bo, bo, and bad words everyday where you work. Do they do any work?

Exactly...the best advice my dad ever gave me was to "just keep you mouth shut and do your job."

You must be a little crazy......

Thinking you are crazy proves that you are sane.
Thinking you are sane proves that you are crazy.

Now that's one viscous cycle of insanity right there...

Pops would know.

He's one of those guys where you sit down and talk to him for an hour and you find out just how incredibly boring your own life has been.

I bet...hopefully I can get down to Georgia one day and steal his golden fiddle.

I bet...hopefully I can get down to Georgia one day and steal his golden fiddle.

Good luck with that :P

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message