skydiverbry

Stress

In mid-December I gave my manager a resignation for Xmas. It *really* reduced my stress!!!:ph34r:

Hey!>:(
Wot 'appened to Quades post about me?[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Other exercise can help, as can meditation. If the stress is related to having too much to do in the hours provided, then you need to get help in doing it, or figure out how to do less.

I've used all three; the most stressful time in my life was magically made better when I just told people what I wanted to keep dealing with the problems I was dealing with. That let me focus on those problems, which helped me to realize that the others really weren't worth messing with.

Either you're necessary to what you're being asked to do (in which case you have some negotiating room), or you aren't (in which case you should consider not doing it).

Remember that you can only see the calm outside of hter people, and some of them wonder just how you can deal so calmly with what you have.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wot 'appened to Quades post about me?[:/]

It occurred to me there was a line there I didn't really want to cross, so I self-censored it.

If she wanted that solution, she could visit The Women's Forum.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Note to self: Do not suggest meeting up for a beer with davjohns anytime soon. ;)

Sex is a great stress reliever if the person you're having sex with doesn't up your stress levels. (Very rarely the case...)

I've always leaned towards music and books. A good book lets me get away from what's stressing me out for a bit. And the right music can change my mood.

Also, intense sports that require focus, like a great pick-up basketball game.

Although, interestingly I found sea kayak fishing also worked for me. But I was a newbie, so might've just been the learning curve.

I concur with exercise. Go for a strenuous hike in the woods, get away from your normal environment, enjoy the silence.

You live in PA, find a river or lake *with friends* and jump in, release some feel good dopamine. Ive done it a few times this year since moving back east, really changes your mood positively.

That's part of the problem. I still cannot be involved in strenuous activity because of my back and pelvis.

Kinda cold here to be jumping in any rivers anytime soon:S

But I know where you are coming from:)

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

It's ALL about perspective!!!

Ya gotta ask yourself ~ what's the worse that could happen...ya 'end up' hungry, naked, sittin' in a pile of your own shit?

Hell...THAT'S how ya started out in life!! B|

I found that daily exercise reduces 'general' day to day stress...I began dealing with things like bad traffic, kid drama, obnoxious assholes etc. much better when I had that personal time & energy outlet every day.

When something immediate comes up that's pushing me toward a less than usual wonderful demeanor, I have a short walk I take around the neighborhood.

Our house is backed by a forest with a stream & various wildlife runnin through...it's a minute away and very calming...I make a conscious effort to breathe in deep & exhale out slowly. 'Fresh' 02 in the brain seems to help with the perspective.

I do that along with a mental exercise I kinda programmed into the hard drive, I look around and remind my self that we're just bugs on a rock & none of it matters in the over-all scheme of things.

My 'crisis' means less than a popcorn fart to anyone 1000 years from now.

You can actually 'program' yourself to go to that happy place frame of mind by formulating a trigger within yourself that 'links the shortcut' so to speak.

For me ~ when it's 'people' that are pissing me off, creating the stress...in my mind I pull the pin on a hand grenade and throw it at 'em.

When it's an overwhelming situation...I mentally grab the cut-away handle and pull.

THAT mess gets left behind & I get to start over! B|

And yeah ~ I'm serious! :)

Stress IS a killer, I've seen way too many people's lives negatively affected by it, both mentally & physically. . .you MUST find a way of dealing with it.

If not, it just becomes a cycle that builds & gets worse with time...ya deserve to treat yourself BETTER than that! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My 'crisis' means less than a popcorn fart to anyone 1000 years from now

That, too.

You are the most important thing in your own life. Take care of yourself, and it's easier to take care of everything else.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The above are all helpful stress relievers, but it depends on what kind of person you are. For some, quiet works wonders, others will benefit more from physical activity. Whatever works for you.

I have a lot of stress at work, and feel it washing away the closer I get to home. I leave all stress behind. Having a place to unwind helps tremendously.

I'm stealin' some of Twardo's suggestions, particularly the hand grenade and cutaway ones. B|

Depending on my job at any given time, my work stress level would be anywhere from zero to topping the scale. And all of it caused by other people's problems. To separate it out of my home life, I would do the crossword puzzle on the train ride to/from work. On the way home, it would force me to stop thinking about work issues and by the tiime I got home, I was in home mode. Doing the puzzle on the way to work would keep me from focusing on work stuff until I stepped off the train. But, the simple problen solving of the puzzle put me into the right frame of mind to be solving the issues at work. Which once solved, lowered my stress level.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Have you tried drinking?

:P

Ok, seriously, for me exercise helps a lot. I'm a competitive powerlifter and there's nothing like a brutally hard deadlift or squat day to make the stress melt away. I'm also an avid photographer, solo photowalks are great to center myself. Sort of like active meditation, where I get to activate creativity.

Last year when the stress started getting really bad I wrote a novel. 95,000 words on the first draft. This year my goal is to do a complete re-write and try to get it published. I found that taking time to write really helped me manage stress a lot better.

With a 3-yr old and a 1-yr old, these activities tend to get spread out and they aren't something I get to enjoy everyday, so I think that helps by making it a special treat. That anticipation and excitement helps a lot.

Good luck!:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the vast majority of stress in our lives is self imposed, best way to sort that out.
Dont impose it in the 1st place.

I have very very little stress in my life, mostly because I choose to not have it.
Same with boredom, I dont get bored because it's a choice.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?