rwieder

Anyone watching CNN right now?

rwieder

Gigantic Tornado destroyed Moore, Oklahoma. Mass destruction. Max Winds: 200 MPH, Width at widest spot; 1 mile.

Yup and that path was near the path from the major tornado 10-ish years ago.

I love watching Storm Chasers, I love storm photography, but this isn't something that would be wished on anyone.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

rwieder

Gigantic Tornado destroyed Moore, Oklahoma. Mass destruction. Max Winds: 200 MPH, Width at widest spot; 1 mile.

Just so everyone knows, Charity (Cheach on here) is alive, along with her family, but it sounds like their houses weren't so lucky.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yeah, she's a friend of mine, our home's aren't far apart. My house is good too, no power though. Amazing what a half a mile will do. Our town is gonna have it rough for a while again.:(

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

JohnMitchell

Death toll is up to 51. Damn. . . [:/]

I've spent only 4-5 months there, but it's a good town with good people. My heart goes out to all.

Looking at the pics on T.V. it looks like tornado ally is going to have to revise their bldg code, or there were some failures at the concrete wall connections.

This storm has raised the bar of how bad it can get. The structural failures will be studied, analysed and a solution will be found. Until the bigger one.

R.
One Jump Wonder

I honestly think that tornadoes are mother nature's way of telling us that no, we can't plan and prepare for everything. The people in that part of the country have largely thought this through and made plans based on experience. Their decisions probably were, by and large, good ones. This was a bigger and more powerful storm.

The one in the 70's in Ohio sucked people out of their cellars.

I'm so glad for the dz.commers who are (basically) OK, and so sorry for all the people who aren't.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Krip

***Death toll is up to 51. Damn. . . [:/]

I've spent only 4-5 months there, but it's a good town with good people. My heart goes out to all.

Looking at the pics on T.V. it looks like tornado ally is going to have to revise their bldg code, or there were some failures at the concrete wall connections.

This storm has raised the bar of how bad it can get. The structural failures will be studied, analysed and a solution will be found. Until the bigger one.

R.

The one that hit Moore in 1999 had the highest winds ever recorded by a tornado on the ground - 318 mph. At that point, there isn't much you can do except build underground with a steel door like you might find in a bank deposit vault.

The death toll, for now, more or less closely resembles the Tuscaloosa tornado on April 27, 2011, but it's still early, and it may end up challenging the Joplin tornado's toll, but I hope not.

[:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Amazon

I am thinking the underground hardened tornado shelter will become a bit more commonin backyards as were built during my childhood during "Drop and Cover" days.... even "safe rooms" were no longer safe in this one [:/]

Now *this* is my kind of shelter:

Rising S recently built an $8 million shelter in Colorado that measured 15,000 square feet, with camouflaged elevators and handicap ramps to provide access to a disabled client. They placed a log cabin over the top of the bunker to serve as a safe house. Behind the logs will be a bulletproof half-inch steel plate protecting the structure, he said.

"Everything above ground is camouflaged by an old barn or water silo that sits above it," Roberson said. "He's got a basketball court, and airplane hangar large enough to park 2 Cessna planes that will open up to face a hill or mountain. He's got a large gym, 22 rooms, he has a large family."

B|

Ref: http://abcnews.go.com/US/bomb-shelter-boom-sees-underground-pools-basketball-courts/story?id=19184215#.UZuAXyt4Ykg
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm thinking semi-buried earth sheltered homes with a roof you can mow might be the way to go. There was a guy in Utah that built one close to the old DZ. Said it was warm in the winter, cool in the summer. It would be pretty storm resistant too.

Of course you can have windows and skylights, but you'd want a good set of shutters.

JohnMitchell

Death toll is up to 51. Damn. . . [:/]

I see the death toll is revised down to about 24. That's good news but still a lot of tragedy for a lot of families.

Krip has a point on the school construction. Were those concrete walls adequately built and reinforced? The will be a lot of investigations to come.

:(

This sucks,...

It's always building codes, shortcuts and skimping, it was this way when 10,000 track homes during Andrew were ripped off, many of the roofs had one / two "staples" in them,...

Money, and ya I don't know all the facts yet, Don't need too,..always the same,...

sucks B|

And another god dammn thing ,...Homeland security has sucked money from Civil Defense, sucked it dry in my opinion, this will come up again, and they will try to bury this little tidbit as well,...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

JohnMitchell

***Death toll is up to 51. Damn. . . [:/]

I see the death toll is revised down to about 24. That's good news but still a lot of tragedy for a lot of families.

Krip has a point on the school construction. Were those concrete walls adequately built and reinforced? The will be a lot of investigations to come.

I know that the Jones Valley Elementary School in Huntsville, AL that was destroyed by an EF5 twister in November 1989, with some kids inside in an after-school program (all were rescued), was rebuilt into a fortress-like style. You could really tell it was reinforced. It was on a hill side with the tornado approaching from the other side, and it came up and over and plowed through it. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban