airdvr

Engineers :(

Trying to change that..... My Intro to Engineering class last semester was filled with knuckle heads. All they wanted to do was screw around and tell jokes. They were always talking, throwing stuff at each other, etc. They were a very "fun loving" group. Not your standard "engineering" fare.

On second thought, they'll probly never make it as engineers. They're more likely to become something mondane like.... AFF Instructors. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

How do you know I am not fun to be around :S

Sure we might be wired a bit differently and tend to be more methodical but we are not all boring pocket protector wearing sorts

The engineers at my university were the most fun

airdvr

They sure are fun to be around....NOT. Life is more than a series of check marks on a list.

Well, apparently they also got their panties in a wad when network engineers were being called engineers without an engineering degree.:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi Robert,

network engineers were being called engineers without an engineering degree.

In the state of Oregon it is illegal to present yourself as an 'engineer' unless you possess an Engineering License; what is commonly known as a PE.

In Oregon it is not OK to present yourself as an 'engineer' with just an engineering degree.

JerryBaumchen, PE

A day in my life. Try playing on a softball team made up entirely of engineers. A few of us are athletic, but the majority couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I moved from Advanced Design to Flight Test last year, and am happy to report that there are more "normal" engineers here. Being in a hands-on, real world position limits the amount of technical design jargon you can spout off just to seem intelligent.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

JerryBaumchen

Hi Robert,

network engineers were being called engineers without an engineering degree.

In the state of Oregon it is illegal to present yourself as an 'engineer' unless you possess an Engineering License; what is commonly known as a PE.

In Oregon it is not OK to present yourself as an 'engineer' with just an engineering degree.

JerryBaumchen, PE

So? Nine of the top ten paying college majors are in engineering. The other is in computer science.

Outside of civil engineering, most engineers do not need or bother to get a PE license.

You do not need a PE license to be a professor of engineering, either.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

linebckr83

A day in my life. Try playing on a softball team made up entirely of engineers. A few of us are athletic, but the majority couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Being on a softball team automatically disqualifies your opinion of what is "normal".:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi John,

So?

I was only stating the facts for the State of Oregon in response to Robert's post.

Actually, I disagree with the State of Oregon. I believe that if you graduate from an accredited engineering school you should be able to call yourself an engineer.

You do not need a license to call yourself a physicist. :S

JerryBaumchen

PS) Most engineering design firms that I know of have very few licensed engineers employed; but they are the ones who put their stamp on the designs.

Let me set up yesterday's drama. My step SIL (engineer) has his car stored in a friend's warehouse (2011 lancer Evo). It has been there for 13 months. My friend has rented that part of the building and needs to move the car to a different area. Battery is dead. He was going to charge the battery and move the car. That set off a series of text messages referring to the exact type of charger to be used and asking my wife if she would buy a 5 gallon gas can, fill it up, and dump it in the car. I ended the drama by instructing my friend to leave the car where it was. I hope an appliance falls on it.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I'm an Mech. E., not PE...yet.

I'm plenty of fun...sort of.

Actually it depends.

I remember some of the cats I graduated with were getting nice little cushy jobs at their dad's company/firm right after graduation but I wouldn't trust them to do simple math, let alone design or test a component.

Other engineers are brilliant in the classroom but have no sense of real world applications. They can't seem to get out of the "ideal system" box.

The biggest thing that has bothered me about some of the engineers that I have worked with is the total lack of respect some of them have towards workers that don't have degrees. That's where we clash. I don't care if you have a degree or not, if your job requires you to weld the hell out of something, you fulfill all of the contract requirements, and have got the experience, my hat goes off to you. An engineering degree doesn't magically make you a god among men.

airdvr

They sure are fun to be around....NOT. Life is more than a series of check marks on a list.

My wife is a civil engineer with a graduate in geo tech and a PE. She's cool, did 500 jumps, does triathlons and a marathon. You just need to find the right engineer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi 540,

The biggest thing that has bothered me about some of the engineers that I have worked with is the total lack of respect some of them have towards workers that don't have degrees.

My philosophy was/is that you can learn something from anyone.

I completely agree with your post. And I worked with some very fine welders.

An engineering degree doesn't magically make you a god among men.

What, what; you mean I've been wrong all of these years? :o

:P

JerryBaumchen

ZigZagMarquis

***Shah? Is that you?

Yeah, what ever happened to Shah?

He was a hoot to have around here!

I assume he got banned for slappin' skymama (virturally) on the ass or what not??

He got banned, not for slapping, but for general knuckleheadedness!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

******Shah? Is that you?

I assume he got banned for slappin' skymama (virturally) on the ass or what not??

I'm not so sure he was a knucklehead as much as a douchebag, but his posts were funny as shit... sometimes.

:D

ZigZagMarquis

*********Shah? Is that you?

I'm not so sure he was a knucklehead as much as a douchebag, but his posts were funny as shit... sometimes.

:D

That's true, but "knucklehead" has always been my euphemism for "a-hole." :D

That way, I still present myself as a lady. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

ryoder

Shah? Is that you?

Hi ryoder

You know the Shah died back in the day when jimmy carter was president.;)

Remember the my enemy's enemy is my friend philosophy.We made a deal with the devil and paid the price.

But if your talking about #2 (baby bathroom talk) personally I think he was a second rate a hole.

Why did it take so long to flush #2 down the toilet where he belonged?

I'm guessing dz.com needed the bean count, thats why it took a executive committee meeting to flush him down the toilet.

The only part I found interesting about #2 was when he would start whining to the mods because everyone was picking on poor little #2 and the mods wouldn't step in.

The little shit could dish it out, but when it was his turn to be in the barrel he went crying like a little girl to the mods. :D

FWIW engineers are a dime a dozen, domestic engrs:ph34r: train engr1:)
Back in the mid 70s we had a BSCE from the big school and wanted to go to grad school in the evenings at KU. We called the university andasked the operator for the engineering dept. :)
The engr that answered the phone worked in the boiler room. He was a maintenance engr.:D

R

[
One Jump Wonder

>My wife is a civil engineer with a graduate in geo tech and a PE. She's cool, did 500
>jumps, does triathlons and a marathon. You just need to find the right engineer.

A lot of people just don't get engineers. I remember a conversation we had a while back at the DZ about how USPA sets standards for training. That got us talking about TSO standards, which were originally military standards used to standardize things on military weapons and vehicles. Which in turn led us to talk about how the standard for US rail gauge got set.

At that point about half the people left in search of more beer and skydiving videos. Which is fine.