Squeak

2 words for your elderly brethren

SHEEP SKIN

Oh and a couple more words
Ibuprofen.
Voltaren :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

oh and THROTTLE LOCK (Cruise control)

MORE things to consider...hummm. B|

'He's' already been told a Cubs hat is really poor choice for a long distance helmet, and hwy pegs are a must.

Damn...this this could get expensive! :o

HE probably shoulda bought that full bagger 'Geezer-Glide' like Future-Diviot told him to...:D

Well if it was EASY everybody would be doin' it...next thing a know that ole fart will be trying to walk across Spain or something equally as dumb.....ummmm...errrrr...nevermind. :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In all seriousness mate,
GO FOR ITB|
but Sheep skins are a blessing, and a throttle lock will save "arm pump" and make the ride a lot more enjoyable.

BTW it does not have to be a tailored sheepskin seat cover, just a small piece of good quality hide throw it over the seat and your good. it makes a world of difference.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

In all seriousness mate,
GO FOR ITB|
but Sheep skins are a blessing, and a throttle lock will save "arm pump" and make the ride a lot more enjoyable.

BTW it does not have to be a tailored sheepskin seat cover, just a small piece of good quality hide throw it over the seat and your good. it makes a world of difference.

I mentioned that to the old fart...he said he wants a WHOLE SHEEP! :o:$

airtwardo

I know this grumpy old fart that's considering riding his Harley from Houston to Oshkosh next week...

Trip is about 1300 miles each way and he says he hasn't done any -long- road trips on a scoot in 25 years! :S

He's one of those candy-ass glory seekin' demo jumpers...says he rode a Super Glide from San Diego to Osh 30 years ago which was the 'first' time he jumped the show there...he's looking at doing a 3 decade later repeat for some dumbass reason. B|

Any input from the bike riders out here on preparations or expectations?

His better half is thinking he may have suffered a stroke and isn't thinking clearly...is she right?

~all comments either way on this are appreciated - I'll pass them along to him! B|

Even if you're 'somewhat' current, it's not something I'd recommend.
I just did 1377 miles, I'm very current, lotsa miles.
Carry lots of water, more than you'd expect. Plan on fairly frequent breaks. If it's a Harley for that far, in this heat, I'd suggest a sheepskin seat cover/cooling pad.
But overall, I wouldn't suggest it at all. Not for someone that hasn't road-tripped in 25 years.

airtwardo

***In all seriousness mate,
GO FOR ITB|

I mentioned that to the old fart...he said he wants a WHOLE SHEEP! :o:$

I thought Twardo was talking about himself, but apparently, "the friend" must be Clay.
I'm thinking a sidecar is in order if he wants the whole sheep.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DSE

***I know this grumpy old fart that's considering riding his Harley from Houston to Oshkosh next week...

Trip is about 1300 miles each way and he says he hasn't done any -long- road trips on a scoot in 25 years! :S

He's one of those candy-ass glory seekin' demo jumpers...says he rode a Super Glide from San Diego to Osh 30 years ago which was the 'first' time he jumped the show there...he's looking at doing a 3 decade later repeat for some dumbass reason. B|

His better half is thinking he may have suffered a stroke and isn't thinking clearly...is she right?

~all comments either way on this are appreciated - I'll pass them along to him! B|

Carry lots of water, more than you'd expect. Plan on fairly frequent breaks. If it's a Harley for that far, in this heat, I'd suggest a sheepskin seat cover/cooling pad.
But overall, I wouldn't suggest it at all. Not for someone that hasn't road-tripped in 25 years.

Do not listen to Spot, he's a pussy, Go hard "friend of Jim" ;):ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

******I know this grumpy old fart that's considering riding his Harley from Houston to Oshkosh next week...

Do not listen to Spot, he's a pussy, Go hard "friend of Jim" ;):ph34r::ph34r:

I spend more time in the saddle than most everyone, I say twardo picks a non-important trip to do the first big run with. Or sign up for the Hoka Hey.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I came to France on my Ninja 250R... It was about 13 hours non-stop highway (750 miles) in pouring rain in October... My bum and back were killing me, but I don't regret doing it. What I *do* regret is not taking the time to enjoy the trip. Stopping, discovering places along the way, taking smaller roads. France is a beautiful country and I missed a real opportunity there because I was impatient to get to my final destination.

People have said it already - enjoy the journey. Allow plenty of time, afford yourself treats along the way (comfy bed, massage, good food, visiting friends)... Road trips make for great memories, even though you almost always end up "suffering" along the way. Heck, the suffering is part of the fun!!

DO IT!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

You will dehydrate about 5 times faster on the bike.

Pre-hydrate (overhydrate) for three days before the trip to saturate the muscle tissue.

Overhydrate at each gas stop (assume 100 Miles).

Semi loose fitting clothing that you can toss water on to keep you cool.

Definitely consider breaking it up into a couple of days... Think Rain. The Quincy storms originated in Sturgis. >:(

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi

Tell old fart buddy no problem.

Ride bike to nearest airport, and fly to demo:ph34r:

Repeat in reverse.

A new legend is born,

Did he or didn't he, ride or fly?

Could he really make it in 24 hrs, do the demo, and party all night?

What else is this man of steel possible of.:P

One Jump Wonder

Krip

Hi

Tell old fart buddy no problem.

Ride bike to nearest airport, and fly to demo:ph34r:

Repeat in reverse.

A new legend is born,

Did he or didn't he, ride or fly?

Could he really make it in 24 hrs, do the demo, and party all night?

What else is this man of steel possible of.:P

He's not steel, he's rubber, damnit! :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I wasted fifteen minutes (darn neighbor with the overseas business and needs to do everything computer-related in the middle of the night) trying to find out if Gumby is rubber or plastic, only to find out that 'Twardo fancies himself in latex. :S

:D

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

airtwardo

I know this grumpy old fart that's considering riding his Harley from Houston to Oshkosh next week...

I didn't read the entire thread so this may have been suggested. If you absolutely have a deadline to get there, ship your bike and then take a relaxing no time constraints ride home. Deadlines can make you make poor decisions and push too hard. Not relaxing and potentially dangerous. Sleeping in the saddle at 70 mph = bad.

So. I'm goin down the Interstate in southern Georgia yesterday. I see a guy on a bike ahead of me. No windshield, no road pegs, no helmet, bald head and sun glasses. On his right saddle bag is something bright green. When i got even with him I saw the cannula and the green thing was the O2 bottle. He was rollin at his age. About 70+. Ride on.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Don't do it. The last time I took my Road King to Sturgis--and I had the wide seat, sheepskin and a stock back rest--I was miserable. It was 38 degrees when we left Custer, South Dakota and it was over 100 by the time we got to Iowa. Waited out a nasty thunderstorm under a bridge for several hours, then my bike quit on I-70 near Terre Haut. My regulator had gone bad and my battery was dusty dry. I filled it with my canteen, got a jump and got it home. By then my sciatica was hurting so bad I couldn't look at my bike for a month. We ain't 21, and comfort matters. Trailer it, and enjoy the Dells for a couple of days.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

airtwardo

'He' may need mittens! :o

It's the new style Cessna... yeah... that's it.

Perhaps he is just mentally frostbitten.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

BIGUN

You will dehydrate about 5 times faster on the bike.

Pre-hydrate (overhydrate) for three days before the trip to saturate the muscle tissue.

Overhydrate at each gas stop (assume 100 Miles).

Semi loose fitting clothing that you can toss water on to keep you cool.

Definitely consider breaking it up into a couple of days... Think Rain. The Quincy storms originated in Sturgis. >:(

1240 miles in 20.5 hrs.

Not that hard...ya just SIT there!