LuckyMcSwervy

Funny/Weird Things Your Parents Have Done For You?

The 4th "anniversary" of my beloved Dad's passing is coming up November 30th and he's been on my mind a lot more than he usually is (and that's a lot!). A lot of these thoughts have been things that have made me laugh.

I left the nest at about age 19, but my doctor sent my BCP prescription refill in the mail to my Dad's house. For some reason he opened the mail, took the prescription for 6 months worth of BCPs to the pharmacy to get them all filled, paid for them, then took them to my apartment and left them in my mailbox with a note "Love, Dad". I remember almost dying of embarrassment that my Dad knew I was on the pill. I called him later that night to thank him. He told me I can thank him by not getting pregnant by my boyfriend I moved in with. :D

I also used to call him from bars to come get my girlfriends and I when we had too much to drink and couldn't safely drive. The funny part was I used to call the police station collect from a pay phone at the bar, say the collect call was from Bruno (our dog). He knew that meant to come get me from a certain bar in Margate. He would come over in the police car and we'd all get in. Me in the front and my girlies in the back. He used to side eye me when I would get on the speaker and tell guys they were hot as we passed other bars down the street. He would also use the emergency lights when my drunkie friends begged him. We would laugh our asses off and people thought it was cool as hell that my Dad would do that for me. The next day I'd call him when I woke up and he'd pick me up at my apartment and we'd go to breakfast or lunch and then go pick up my car.

He was awesome. B|

What did your parents do for you that was weird or funny? :)
ETA a couple of pics of me and my Dad. :)
Dad1 -is from September 1973 - my first week of kindergarten
Dad2 - is from September 2008, IIRC - at the pistol range (his retirement job)
Always be kinder than you feel.

After college I did a year in a corporate suit & tie job, just like I figured I was supposed to...The folks were really proud.

I was goin' out of my mind & one day I walked.

I fell off the grid for 9 or 10 months...just wandered.

I was teaching skydiving at a Podunk DZ in nowhereville & bartending at night...one evening I walked into the bar to start my shift and there sat my dad.

He stood up gave me a wink & tossed me this little German Officers compass that he'd brought back from WWll...said, "We all get lost sometimes, this will help get ya back to where you where you came from, when you want to."

He walked out and drove the 10 hours back home...

I never went 2 days without talking to my folks again!

Pops was a pretty B| guy.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My dad insisted that I "pay my own way" in our house from the first time I got a job. He took 15% of my wages telling me that if I was working, I had to contribute...

Seemed so weird to me. I was 14. It was his *job* to support me... it wasn't fair...

But 3 years later when I moved out, he gave it all back to me with a smile and a nod about how easy it was to save a little for special days.

I keep screwing that lesson up, but that doesn't take anything away from how cool that day was.
Owned by Remi #?

Sounds like your dad was a great guy! Mine passed away close to twenty years ago and I still miss him, especially around the anniversary of his death.

I can't think of any great stories like yours, although he did tell me when I turned 18 that if I ended up in jail he wasn't bailing me out until morning. (I'm sure if it had actually happened he would've been there as soon as he could.)

oldwomanc6

Your dad sounds like he was an amazing man! B|

I'm a bit jealous. :$

Me too, Im Betting his dads name is Ward Clever.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

oldwomanc6

******Your dad sounds like he was an amazing man! B|

Me too, Im Betting his dads name is Ward Clever.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Karen Cleaver sounds odd. ;)
Kitchen Cleaver sounds about right though:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi labrys,

My dad insisted that I "pay my own way" in our house

Just after high school, pal of mine and a few others of us got to talking about paying rent, etc for living at home.

This guy's older brother, upon turning 18, was told he had to pay rent for his room in their house. So he asked if he could treat just like if he rented somewhere else. They said 'Sure.' So the next night he brought home a case of beer and a girl & spent the night with her. A day or so later, his dad said that he didn't have to pay rent anymore.

:P

JerryBaumchen

oldwomanc6

Me too!

Can't think of any cool stories in particular... I do know they never had a lot of money so the fact that they chose to invest in piano lessons for all three of us for all those year was/is a real gift. Didn't always feel like it at the time, though... :$
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Sounds like he was a cool guy. Sorry for your loss but glad you have happy memories.
I lost my dad to Alzheimer's 3 days before Xmas last year. It was the hardest 2 years of my life before he died.
My dad was an owner op like me. He loved trucking. Where I grew up your options in life were trucking, logging, farming or fighting forest fires
When I was 5 or 6 he started letting me go on smaller trips when he knew he would only be away overnight. Our overnight trips always turned into 2 or 3 day excursions. My mom would let him have it for keeping me out.
These trips became longer and longer. My mom got over it early on but I remember the school used to call my mom ( since they couldn't call me and my dad) and would give her grief that I wasn't in school.
This fight between the school and my mom and dad went on for years as the trips got longer and longer.
My dad would go to the school and defend his actions regularly.
My dad would ask the principle if he thought I was a nice kid and respectful. The answer was always yes ( half the time they might have been to scared to tell him any different) .
He would then tell the school how if I was a nice kid and respectful to adults then he was doing his job.
The more the school bothered him the more pissed off he got at them.
Then came the 9th grade. The school year had just started and 3 weeks into it I was really lost and totally frustrated.
He got home and saw me like that, looked at my new text books and decided right then and there that what they were teaching me ( or trying to teach me )was totally ridiculous.
He made one last trip to the school soon after that and he never made me go back.
In 1984 I was crushed between a car and truck while helping someone get their car started. I ended up in a hospital bed for about 3 months. In comes my dad one day and he had this big book in his hand. He hands me this book and tells me to learn it and then take the test in the back of the book to make my mom happy. The book was this big fat GED study book. The test in the back of the book wasn't the real test but rather only a practice test.
I was laid up for about 2 years. I ended up taking the real test during that time and passed it. My mom was thrilled, my dad was happy that my mom was happy.
To this day I could call my mom and I could ask her about my high school diploma and she could go to her desk drawer and pull it from a folder.
I don't know if she realizes now that it was ridiculous to bug my dad about it ( which I didn't know she was doing at the time). I know at the time she thought it was quite the accomplishment.
Apparently the school would fill her head with all these nightmare scenarios if I didn't get that diploma and she would quietly worry about that.
Someday I need to get all my old photographs put on the computer. I've got like 3 shoeboxes full.
Any suggestions on an easy way to do this so I don't have to do them all one at a time?

Shortly after my father retired, we were discussing a new .45 automatic I had bought and the holster I wanted for it. After some discussion, he met me at the gate to my workplace the next morning. I handed the gun over to him. The next morning, he met me again and handed me the gun with a custom holster he had made me. I was really enjoying his retirement at that point. :D

I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

oldwomanc6

Me too.

All I usually got were bruises and a trip down the stairs.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My biological father left when I was 3ish.
I briefly met him again when I was 14.
He did us a favor.
My stepfather was a hard-working blue collar guy that was distant, but put food on the table.

Both taught me what not to do when it comes to my daughter and for that I thank them.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The best thing that ever happened to my brother is that his biological dad didn't care enough to be part of his life. Let him be raised by my dad who I think significantly affected the path my brother's life took. I have a book on my shelf that my brother (a big baseball-playing jock) made for Christmas one year called "The Greatest Man I Have Ever Known."

A good father is rare and amazing to have. (Which is why I would never even consider that whole "get pregnant by a friend and raise it yourself" idea in that other thread. My father was too important to my life for me to deprive any children I might have of the same experience.)

Muffie

A good father is rare and amazing to have. My father was too important to my life for me to deprive any children I might have of the same experience.)

I hope they're not too rare.:D I'm glad you realize the importance of dads in raising a child. I wouldn't have missed out on my kids growing up for the world. :)
My mom taught me how to cook and do laundry. My dad taught me how to throw and catch a baseball and football, and how to get the tools out and fix things. Also how to sit on the couch and watch the Dallas Cowboys beat the Redskins. B| Pretty much everything I needed to succeed in life.

Sent me to military school.

I wasn't too happy the first time, fifty years ago, at San Marcos Baptist Academy.

Being an Allen Rat (Allen Military Academy in Bryan, TX) changed me in a good way.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

JerryBaumchen

Hi Lucky,

He sounds like a nice guy.

I also used to call him from bars to come get my girlfriends and I

I've gotten that phone call more than once.

;)

JerryBaumchen

PS) More than once I've had to tell both of them that they'll understand once they have kids of their own.

Thanks, Jerry. He was a very nice man and was funny as hell to boot. I bet your kids tell funny "Dad picked me up" stories one day, too. :)

airtwardo

After college I did a year in a corporate suit & tie job, just like I figured I was supposed to...The folks were really proud.

I was goin' out of my mind & one day I walked.

I fell off the grid for 9 or 10 months...just wandered.

I was teaching skydiving at a Podunk DZ in nowhereville & bartending at night...one evening I walked into the bar to start my shift and there sat my dad.

He stood up gave me a wink & tossed me this little German Officers compass that he'd brought back from WWll...said, "We all get lost sometimes, this will help get ya back to where you where you came from, when you want to."

He walked out and drove the 10 hours back home...

I never went 2 days without talking to my folks again!

Pops was a pretty B| guy.

That story makes me tear up. That's so heartwarming. They know us so well, don't they?? Love the picture!! Handsome boys!! B|