skymama

Me and my big mouth

I've gone and pissed off a sister-in-law and now she and her family aren't coming to Christmas at mom's house. Mom is going to kick my ass. When am I going to learn to keep my mouth shut? :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

I've gone and pissed off a sister-in-law and now she and her family aren't coming to Christmas at mom's house. Mom is going to kick my ass. When am I going to learn to keep my mouth shut? :ph34r:

More food and elbow room at the table for you. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Awwww.... I hate to hear about family strife. Is it repairable by Christmas? Do you want to repair it by then? I hope everything calms down and everyone gets together for Christmas and celebrates the reason for the season and togetherness. :)
OMG I'm such a sap...

Always be kinder than you feel.

That god damn 3 hour plus break for a certain someone to go to church is ridiculous and it impacts an very large family get together.
I have found it selfish. It has made me want to leave the event every year.

You did the right thing baby, SHE is the only one she considers when it comes to this event.
Think of the entire family, work as a family, together.

Go to the god damn midnight mass for christ's sake.

How's that??? :D:D:D

Sometimes we go ... different directions.. doesn't mean it has to be forever.. a change-up every now and then is good...
i dunno :S
Families.. " damned if you do?? damned if you don'T ": ;)B|... and Please.... don't even get me started on when you ADD.. " that whole OTHER side of the Family " family...:D:)Not sure about the Mass schedule but it's likely there are 2 or 3 different options...

anyway...
good luck stay cool. try to work it out :)
( edited to eliminate an assumption, on my part. )

My family is not religious. Our tradition was always to have a big family gathering on Christmas Eve that included games, frivolity, and everyone all dressed up for the big meal and present opening. This sister-in-law joined the family and decided her group is going to church right after dinner every year. So, just as everyone is all excited from hours of build-up to open presents, eleven people end up sitting around for 2-3 hours waiting for 4 people to come back.

This year, I finally asked if they could just go to a service on Christmas Eve or Day that wasn't right in the middle of our family celebration. I wasn't asking her not to go to church, I respect her views. I was just asking for a compromise. Now, they're just not coming. :S

Mom is ok with it actually but Dad isn't happy now that I've "started" something. :o

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

This year, I finally asked if they could just go to a service on Christmas Eve or Day that wasn't right in the middle of our family celebration. I wasn't asking her not to go to church, I respect her views. I was just asking for a compromise. Now, they're just not coming.

OK, I'm the biggest make-nice peacemaker in the world. You're right. But since obviously the specific church service is important to her, so is she. To your brother's (I assume) detriment.
[:/]
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My mom asked for a compromise, like every other year they change times of their service. Sis-in-law's reply was, "Christmas is Christmas, not about give and take...relationships are about give and take..".

This is the attitude we're working with. :|

skymama

My family is not religious. Our tradition was always to have a big family gathering on Christmas Eve that included games, frivolity, and everyone all dressed up for the big meal and present opening. This sister-in-law joined the family and decided her group is going to church right after dinner every year. So, just as everyone is all excited from hours of build-up to open presents, eleven people end up sitting around for 2-3 hours waiting for 4 people to come back.

This year, I finally asked if they could just go to a service on Christmas Eve or Day that wasn't right in the middle of our family celebration. I wasn't asking her not to go to church, I respect her views. I was just asking for a compromise. Now, they're just not coming. :S

Mom is ok with it actually but Dad isn't happy now that I've "started" something. :o

As someone who likes going to Mass at Christmas, I think you put it in a way that was nice and respectful. How could she NOT go along with that? When I got married, my husband's family is Lutheran. If we were in Ebensburg for Christmas I went to their church for Mass. I really wanted to be at my own parish at home in NJ, but becoming part of another family requires a lot of compromise. I had a hard time in the beginning but you learn to pick the battles and want your spouse to be happy too. :)

Let her KNOW that you'd all be happy to TAKE if she'd be willing to Give...
( are ALL 4 of her family members in full agreement with her ) ( i bet she'd be afraid to take a vote ) ;)

As for " Christmas " ! too far in the future . i'm still working on the halloween candy i bought a week after,, when it was 75 % Off!!!:)

My suggestions:
Blame it on your twin.
Suggest she converts to being a Baptist, we don't have church Christmas Day.
Depending on her size and your ability just take her out. If need be you might want to recruit a tag team partner. The problem with that is you just want to hurt her enough to keep her home but not send her to the hospital. :P

Crud, I need coffee!

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I just checked the website for her church. There IS an 11:00 pm service she could go to. It would actually be perfect for her because she's usually up until 2 am anyway. (We know this because that's when she sends e-mails).

It really comes down to it being her way or no way. This is not the only problem we've had with her. I just finally took a stand. My kids, Mark and other brother were so happy with me!

skymama

I just checked the website for her church. There IS an 11:00 pm service she could go to. It would actually be perfect for her because she's usually up until 2 am anyway. (We know this because that's when she sends e-mails).

It really comes down to it being her way or no way. This is not the only problem we've had with her. I just finally took a stand. My kids, Mark and other brother were so happy with me!

LOL... that was smart. I'd email her at 2am with the Mass schedule and copy everyone in the family. Maybe out it in a DZ.com style poll, minus the boobies option since we're talking about church. ;)

skymama

You killed xmas. :ph34r:;)

(Good on ya!)
Remster