BigMikeH77

Best/Worst Concert You've Been To

I have a couple offerings~

Best & worst at the same concert!

WAY back when - my college roomie was a huge Tull fan.
He got us 3rd row tickets center/floor...And a bottle of mad dog 20-20.

The warm-up band really got the crowd stoked...some relatively new no namer that flat out 'rocked the house'.

Jethro Tull came on stage & flat out SUCKED...by the 3rd song people were booing, by the 5th song they were throwing stuff on the stage!

Ian Anderson got all irate & cussed out the audience then walked off stage, the rest of the band followed in short order.

Mayhem was about to start when the warm-up band returned to the spotlight and played a slower, poetic, fantastically scored song - which calmed the crowd...they went on to play another full two hours!

One of the best concerts I've ever been to both because of the music AND the way it all came down.

I wonder what ever happened to those young kids in that warm-up band...

They called themselves U2. B|

~ The best concert 'production' wise was without question - Elvis in '76...I was never a big fan prior to that concert, but my GF got us GREAT tickets for my birthday.

It was truly an awesome experience, and even though it was kinda campy & was the 'Fat Elvis' by then - the guy had talent like no other.

~ Greatest concert for ME period ~
One year in college I worked security at concerts...got to see Springsteen 3 times in two days from 'back stage' ~ following the last nights performance the 'Big Man' invited another guy & I into the dressing room for a Heineken and a doob with E street. Shook hands with The Boss - who seemed like a really cool 'average guy'....that was much shorter in person than on stage! :ph34r:

~Worst concert in the history of the planet~

Boston

It was SO bad, literally 1/2 the audience walked out well before it was over. :S

~The 'last' concert I went to was about ten years ago...

I got a call here in Texas from an old friend who was fairly popular a stand-up comic - he had fantastic tickets to a benefit concert in L.A. 'THAT EVENING' - did we want to go?

Capt. Mom & and were on a flight 45 minutes later, drove the rent a wreck 100 mph from LAX to the venue & made it with 20 minutes to spare.

Don't remember WHAT the benefit deal was - but Tom Hanks was the MC & like 15 separate performances took place in 4 hours. Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Sheryl Crow, John Fogerty, The Eagles, Sammy Hagar....on & on.

Called my buddy the next morning to thank him & offered to pay for the tickets...they were 1000.00 a seat for where we were :o...but fortunately he said he owed me one, no worries! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Best-"The Michael Stanley Band" Youngstown, Ohio.
-"The Boss and the E-Street Band", LA Coliseum
-"No Doubt" opening for "U2", LA Staples Center
-"John Cougar Mellencamp" opened for'Heart", Blossom Music Center, Ohio. Heart sucked monkey balls and the Ohio farm kids booed them off the stage and chanted for "COUGAR"!

Worst-"Don Dokken" a few years ago. No voice left.
-Justin Bieber...hey, I have an 8 year old daughter:P

NWFlyer

I was lucky enough to catch them during a brief moment of lucidity/sobriety, in November 1996 in Chapel Hill, NC. Great show ... when he's sober(ish) he's a great performer.

Same here. Saw them at the PLU Fieldhouse around that time frame. That was all before the troubles started, wasn't it?

both were in the same concert

Best - G3 concert in seattle, the opener was awesome - wish I could recall who it was - 2nd up Stevie Vi was really cool.

Worst - G3 concert in seattle - after the opener and Stevie Vi played, Satriani *the headliner* he sucked balls - his music had absolutely nothing but noise - total crap, it was horrible and we left before he finished - I'v heard better music coming from the crashing/grinding/welding and forklifts all mixed together at work.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

The best would be a tossup between Elvis Nov. 1972 in San Bernardino and Willie Nelson in LA in the early 80’s.

Worst would be Chuck Berry late 80’s. Could be listening to radio and not known the difference.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

BIGUN

Worst: Three Dog Night - circa 1993. They just did not have their shit together, played horribly and then cut the set short.

Have to agree with this as the worst. They were upset that the audience wasn't as large as they would have liked so they purposely screwed their songs up and left early.

Best by far for me was The Statler Brothers. Pure entertainment.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

I like the idea of honourable mentions.. Mine are;

311: I was lucky and had pit tickets, stood 5 feet from the stage. They were clearly on amphetamines but handled them well and put 162% of their energy into the show.

Buffett (x2): C'mon... It's a Buffett show. Enough said.

airtwardo

I wonder what ever happened to those young kids in that warm-up band...

They called themselves U2. B|

Yes, they looked promising for a little while, but turned out just to be a flash in the pan.[:/]
After 30-40 years, they sort of faded away.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Best: The Eagles at the Hollywood Bowl

Worst: Mumford and Sons at the Hollywood Bowl. They played fine, but all of their songs sound the same to me. (My ex dragged me to the concert).
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

JohnMitchell

"grue"]Best: Nine Inch Nails

Only have seen them once but I liked it. But a friend who's seen 'em a dozen+ times said they sucked that night. :S

***Worst: ZZ Top

Sorry to hear that. I saw them in the 70's on the way up and they rocked it pretty hard.

Yeah I've seen NIN a few times, going to see 'em again on 14 March with Queens of the Stone Age, should be a good show.

As for ZZ Top, this is when they did a new album in the late 90s. They insisted on playing only new stuff, nothing off the albums that made them famous [:/]

A possible runner-up to them for worst would have been Smashing Pumpkins. They had no energy, kept playing acoustic versions of things, and the seats in the venue were EXCRUCIATING. Might have even been worse than ZZ Top because of all of that, I'd have to think about it.
cavete terrae.

The worst by far was Miles Davis at the Waikiki Shell. The Yellowjackets opened for him and they did a great job. He did not come out for over an hour for whatever prima-donna-drug-fueled reasons he had, and when he FINALLY did, he looked and acted half dead for about 15 minutes.

Show over, go home folks. no refund or apology. :S

One of the most enjoyable was Switchfoot at Rams Head Live in Baltimore. So much energy! What a great venue, and they were amazing.

My favorite small venue concert was Gary Jules was at Rams Head On stage in Annapolis. B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

No "worsts"- I love live music.

Back when I was a kid, my dad took me and 2 friends to see Paul McCartney and Wings. Horrible seats above and almost behind the stage but I still loved it.
I loved seeing him again at Wrigley Field a couple of years ago also.

Other great shows? Ozomatli at House of Blues- love the smaller venue and those guys put on a great live show. Still, you know you are getting old when you make a point of getting there when the doors open just to snag a seat and the other people are getting their when the doors open so they can snag the spot right in front of the stage and don't mind standing for 3 hours before the show even starts!
Mana - large venue, amazing show! I've seen them 3 times in the past 6 years. Worth every penny.

Best big name shows has to be either Tom Petty or Primus for me.

I'm more into the small intimate DIY punk shows with I always enjoy, skankin with friends :ph34r:

Bad shows are when the cops show up and shut it down because of fighting.

On best I have to consider a few others. Really hard to do.

Buffet gets an honorable mention . Alpine Valley in heavy rain the size of hail. Teens sliding head first down the hill until skidding on the concrete. Teens tying to help others that were basically passing out get in the venue by holding them up on both sides and sneaking them in. Tying to get out after. Had corporate seats under cover after hostpitality food and drinks. Alpine Valley makes everything better. Wonderful venue for any concert.

One of the best was a four band night. Had low expectations because I thought it was to hard core for me.

Sevendust opened
Shinedown didn't play the simple man cover though
Buckcherry
Korn Never knew I even new a Korn song. I did. They opened and closed the night with cover of "another brick in the wall"

The whole night was fantastic. Energy. Volume.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.