JohnMitchell

What's your canopy risk score?

I know everyone here's posting their numbers, but I'm curious why a justification/explanation on how this thing is calculated does not exist.

I mean she can have her opinion but I'd like to see why she thinks that way (so people know how to improve). Furthermore, another canopy coach can also weigh in.

JohnMitchell

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Canopy_Control/When_Should_You_Upsize_Your_Canopy_1009.html

Nice article by Melissa, Bary and Jason. The risk calculator is compliments of the USPA. Somehow I scored a 32, though. Thought I'd do a little better than that.

Watch out, I'm dangerous.;):D

I scored a 32... but its a moot point since I am grounded by health issues since LP in 2008 and pretty sure I am done jumping for good.

Rick

I got 25 of course after 15 years I am still jumping a 170 with no intention of downsizing and so far I have been able to avoid the middle aged spread :D

10 years in July and I'm on a 190 :D

If I come up with some cash to spare I'll get a 170 though.
cavete terrae.

ianyapxw

I know everyone here's posting their numbers, but I'm curious why a justification/explanation on how this thing is calculated does not exist.

Yeah, it is more a starting point for discussion about safety than to be argued down to each point.

Scored 43, High Risk for what it is worth. Although I have made plenty of jumps and jumps my canopy, having a small crossbraced canopy does load up on the points. Taking lessons, doing more competitions, or high hop and pops would shave some points off (although in the short term doing a competition would surely increase the risk).

Scored a 42. Did not expect to be classified as high risk in anything, but looks like currency and number of jumps really nailed me.

That being said, I've jumped quite a few makes and sizes of canopies, and the ones that I got a few jumps in a row on I could set down just about where I wanted to. Yay rental gear!

I've also landed one with a stand up in a tight spot with tall grass when the winds really kicked up during the plane ride.

*shrug* I'll continue to be careful I guess.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

ianyapxw

I mean she can have her opinion but I'd like to see why she thinks that way (so people know how to improve). Furthermore, another canopy coach can also weigh in.

Its not her opinion, its USPA's opinion.

To achieve maximum score you'd have to do following, points in parenthesis:

Number of jumps: 26-50 (5)
Years in the sport: Less than six months (5)
Number of jumps last year: Fewer than 25 (8)
Number of jumps last month: 0 (5)
Number of jumps at your current DZ: 0-10 (6)
Wing loading: 1.71-plus:1 (8)
Canopy square footage: 119 or smaller (8)
Canopy design: cross-braced (8)
Number of jumps on your current canopy: 0-10 (5)
Structured lessons or competitions on your canopy: 0 (5)
Hop-and-pops above 5,000 feet dedicated to canopy practice (no RW, etc.) on your current canopy: 1-5 (5)
No practice on the maneuvers listed: 10

Total : 78

Your rights end where my feelings begin.

The scoring is Ok when a canopy is one's regular canopy, but has no way of taking into account whether the canopy you are currently jumping is much different than your regular one -- you add a lot of points for not having done all sorts of canopy exercises and courses, if it is your first jump on a canopy, even if it is similar or easier to fly than your old one.

So just after a massive downsize you rack up a pile of points, but a swooper would get the same if he upsized and jumped a student canopy he had never jumped before. (Leaving aside the penalties for small hot canopies in general.)

I looked at a jump I did years ago before people got all wussy about downsizing, and scored a 70 for that jump. Borrowed a Jonathan 92 for my 205th jump, 1.8 loading, at a new DZ, only 15 jumps in the last year and 1 in the last month. Although it doesn't figure into the score, I usually jumped an accuracy canopy and had a limited bunch of downsizing jumps.

This was in 1994, when "downsizing" meant "do 2 jumps on the canopy, and if you aren't totally scared by the landing and can stand it up, you're good to go another size down".

:)

Arvoitus

To achieve maximum score you'd have to do following, points in parenthesis:

Number of jumps: 26-50 (5)
Years in the sport: Less than six months (5)
Number of jumps last year: Fewer than 25 (8)
Number of jumps last month: 0 (5)
Number of jumps at your current DZ: 0-10 (6)
Wing loading: 1.71-plus:1 (8)
Canopy square footage: 119 or smaller (8)
Canopy design: cross-braced (8)
Number of jumps on your current canopy: 0-10 (5)
Structured lessons or competitions on your canopy: 0 (5)
Hop-and-pops above 5,000 feet dedicated to canopy practice (no RW, etc.) on your current canopy: 1-5 (5)
No practice on the maneuvers listed: 10

Total : 78

Seems like there should be some way to get 100! :D

So my 32 is below the median. Sounds okay to me, esp. since 5 points were for no Hop & Pops. I still think the scale could be refined, such as finer gradations in wing loading and number of jumps. ;)

Should be double points for over 2.0 loading. :P