BIGUN

People... WTF?!?!?

Honey, I have a GREAT IDEA!!!

Let’s take a 36 foot sailboat around the world and take our 1 & 3 year old daughters with US!!!

It’ll BE GREAT!!! THEY’LL REMEMBER THIS FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES!! WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!?!?!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/06/usa-pacific-baby-idUSL2N0MY02Y20140406
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

exactly !!!
i saw this report on the news this morning... :o:S[:/]

Nothing wrong with adventurous parents....But NOT when the children are soooo little that they are vulnerable to everything from OVER Exposure to the sun, to queasy bellies from the rocking and rolling of waves :(....
A Big part of parenting is knowing how to be Patient ( say, until the kids are At LEAST teens,,,, and can have a SAY in the decision )
And practicing how to sacrifice one's OWN desires, until the correct & proper Time.... sheesh....
How could ANY friends and or family members of this couple, condone the START of such a voyage???????
p.s. what do they "doo " ;)with the dirty diapers???????????
jus' sayin'......
jmy

On the other hand.. it makes for incredibly close family experiences. I sailed with my family from Florida to Bermuda, the Bahamas, Cuba and many of the northern Caribbean Islands before I was 8. The boat and summers were sacrosanct to our family summers when I was very little. You learn about the boat and your part in the rhythm of life on the sea.The learning experiences were incredible and the passages always meant studying ( listening to the history as told by Grandfather) about our next port of call and his experiences of having gone to sea on the tall ships in 1910.

Amazon

On the other hand.. it makes for incredibly close family experiences. I sailed with my family from Florida to Bermuda, the Bahamas, Cuba and many of the northern Caribbean Islands before I was 8. The boat and summers were sacrosanct to our family summers when I was very little. You learn about the boat and your part in the rhythm of life on the sea.The learning experiences were incredible and the passages always meant studying ( listening to the history as told by Grandfather) about our next port of call and his experiences of having gone to sea on the tall ships in 1910.

2B|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Krip

Hi AJ

Now i know where you get your love for the sea. Sounds like a great experience:)
FWIW the baby was conceived in route, maybe born in mexico.

It was a long trip.;)

A

I derive LIFE from the sea and when I am at the helm I get energy from one of the greatest forces on the planet.

I think the shorter trips Amazon described make more sense than around the world with little kids.

But then, our sport doesn't make much sense to a lot of people out there. There should always be room for adventure. I don't know enough about blue water sailing to know if a 36 ft boat is a reasonable choice.

JohnMitchell

I think the shorter trips Amazon described make more sense than around the world with little kids.

But then, our sport doesn't make much sense to a lot of people out there. There should always be room for adventure. I don't know enough about blue water sailing to know if a 36 ft boat is a reasonable choice.

That was the size of our boat... and it was old school full keel WOOD. All of the around the world cruises are a series of short trips along a coast or from Island to Island even when doing the eventual ocean passage. The rough stuff is in the Southern Ocean where the fetch is EPIC and travels around the world. That said.....The Blue Water is not that far offshore:)

Amazon

My God that just sounds AMAZING. :$:$:$
Always be kinder than you feel.

I'm glad I checked back here because Amazons Post was perfect...I sure don't question the energy and enthusiasm of the Mom and Dad... could be they've been planning this voyage for years...
Only wanted to point out that the kids were toooo young yet..imo

Patience..

The travels and memories and family bonds that Have been described here, by those who have enjoyed sea-going ways can be the better of many a good aviation tale.!!! I can see, how Such times, are wonderful...and not to be missed. Amazons pictures speaks volumes..B|

No doubt this Crew will re-compose, de-brief , re-plan and eventually accomplish the journey, sometime in the future... good luck to them
:)

LuckyMcSwervy

p.s. what do they "doo " with the dirty diapers???????????

Support the recycling effort.......feed the tilapia.:)

Don

BOOM! :ph34r:

I think you meant: BOOM BOOM!! ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

ZigZagMarquis

what do they "doo "... with the dirty diapers???????????

Ummm... same thing they do with their adult poo... duh!

Offshore.... disposables would be stupid...

Cotton diapers can be tied to a line with a sheet bend knot and dragged behind the boat for a few hours.. then brought back aboard and salt water rinsed out( you do not want the little one getting salt sores..... Duh...:)
I will add that on most sailboats.. fresh water is a premium.
I learned that any passing rain squall is a good reason to head for it.. and top off the water tanks. You can also hang clothing washed in salt water with soap and let the rain rise them. There are no clothes so fresh in smell as those washed in that way. Grandfather knew that extra large tanks are needed and we had at least six large ones. Without good cleanliness a long passage at sea can become a torturous assault on ones senses when you go below into tight quarters :)

LuckyMcSwervy

***On the other hand.. it makes for incredibly close family experiences. I sailed with my family from Florida to Bermuda, the Bahamas, Cuba and many of the northern Caribbean Islands before I was 8. The boat and summers were sacrosanct to our family summers when I was very little. You learn about the boat and your part in the rhythm of life on the sea.The learning experiences were incredible and the passages always meant studying ( listening to the history as told by Grandfather) about our next port of call and his experiences of having gone to sea on the tall ships in 1910.

My God that just sounds AMAZING. :$:$:$

Agreed :)

JohnMitchell

This. Who are we to judge?

Are these possibly the same ones that tried to flee the US due to religous reasons, got their boat batered by the weather and had to be resuced?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Amazon

You know what I mean.. There's a bit of a difference between hopping around the Virgin islands within USCG distance at 8 years old having learned some things about safety, the ability to swim better, grab something to use as a float, a well-schooled grandfather that can smell a bad situation. And that, of being far enough out in the Pacific with a 3 & 1 year old that it requires USN transports & Special Operations teams to assist. Far better folks than this guy have wound up dead. You wanna do it yourself; then by all means you're an adult. Would you take a 1 & 3 year old around the world on a 36 footer?

BTW... cool pics. You gonna take me out next time I'm up there?

But then, our sport doesn't make much sense to a lot of people out there.

Yup. WTF are you thinking, skydiving when you have children? You're responsible for them. They'll have to live without you, with the memories of your death, and the other parent will be stuck raising them alone. All so you can get a cheap thrill.

ZigZagMarquis

***Cant reuse a disposable...;)

For those of us that are old enough to remember having to deal with "baby buckets" and washing cloth diapers... THANK THE LORD for disposable diapers! ;)

Although dragging baby behind a boat, as you suggest, until his diaper is clean might work.

:P

:thumbs up: :D *runs and hides*
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Naw; I used cloth diapers for my son. Not traveling (my mother's stories were plenty for that). But with a washer and drier, once I got past the first couple months with their dozen or so diapers a day, it really wasn't that bad.

And way cheaper.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)