JohnnyMarko

Finally found a new house! (Sharing good news)

So, if you live in Denver, I'm sure you know how crazy the rental market is. After spending hours a day, losing multiple properties, and stressin out, I finally found a new place for my partner and I!!

Within 48 hours of seeing a posting, we toured the house and signed a lease!

Tons of space for my partner and I, great price, beautiful features, great location, and we can rent the 2nd bedroom to a friend! We move in June 1st, any skydivers wanna join us for a kegger to welcome us to the neighborhood? ;)

Have a good weekend everybody!

turtlespeed

***and we can rent the 2nd bedroom to a friend!

Whoo Hooo - Threesome!

You think you know a guy after seeing his posts for years.
Then he surprises you by expressing a preference you never suspected.:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******and we can rent the 2nd bedroom to a friend!

Whoo Hooo - Threesome!

I knew it!!! It was the toes!!!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

*********and we can rent the 2nd bedroom to a friend!

Whoo Hooo - Threesome!

I knew it!!! It was the toes!!!

Turtle said "threesome" not "toesome."
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

JohnnyMarko

I wish we were buying....we're only 24 and 25, hopefully buying within 3 years, renting just makes more sense now.

While you're young and mobile, buying doesn't always make sense. Although there CAN be some appreciation in value of real estate, esp. in a hot market, in the long term housing tends to follow the inflation curve, making it not a great investment, merely maybe a good investment.

We're currently selling a home we've had as a rental property for years. Will I make money on it? Yeah, some. Would I have done better in the stock market with fewer headaches? Yeah, probably. :S

But there is something to say about owning your own home. Pride of ownership, permanence, whatever. And money is pretty cheap right now, bringing down mortgage cost. I guess my advice is buy a little less house than you can afford; what you need, not a McMansion. ;)

Exactly...
whenever a BANK says, "you Can afford such & such of a mortgage amount " :| It's always better to borrow only 50 or 60 % of That amount,,, and either "Buy less" or make up the difference by scrimping and / or pulling funds, from other places..;)

As for the " interest deduction is GOOD " theory...:S That is usually pushed by Real Estate Agents, trying to make a sale ,,, or by bankers trying to lock you in on " MORE Money Borrowed ">:(
In years past when interest rates were 14... 15 % maybe it made sense... but today, Unless you have a TON of legitimate "deductible expenses " most people are better off just taking the "standard deduction", anyway...( which i believe is 14 grand )

A quick way to pay OFF a Mortgage..??? Don't borrow so Much....B|
Congrats J Marko !! much good luck in your new Home.
jmy

And, it's always better to get less house on a 15 year mortgage; than more house on a 30 year. Your equity position grows within three years on the first option, than the seven - nine years on the second option.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

jimmytavino

As for the " interest deduction is GOOD " theory...:S That is usually pushed by Real Estate Agents, trying to make a sale ,,, or by bankers trying to lock you in on " MORE Money Borrowed ">:(

Absolutely correct. It works like this. For every dollar you give me in interest, Uncle Sam MAY give you back 28 cents. If you give me nothing, Uncle Sam still lets you deduct about $12K anyway if you file jointly. It's a sucker's game. However, if you HAVE to borrow the money, at least it helps a little.

Unless you have a TON of legitimate "deductible expenses " most people are better off just taking the "standard deduction", anyway...( which i believe is 14 grand )

Even with all the charity expenses and property taxes, we haven't claimed any higher than the standard deduction since we paid off our home years back. Our accountant shakes her head but I'm fine with that. :D

BIGUN

And, it's always better to get less house on a 15 year mortgage; than more house on a 30 year. Your equity position grows within three years on the first option, than the seven - nine years on the second option.

Yep and pay down the principal early if you can.

For those who have an FHA loan and had to pay PMI (private mortgage insurance), when you have at least 20% equity in your home, either thru paying down the mortgage or increased property values, you can often get a refund on some of your PMI payment, usually paid at the beginning of the loan. There's a lot of paperwork to do and they are pretty coy about letting you know a refund is available, but it can be 3 to 4 figures in your pocket. Certainly not chump change. ;)