promise5

What is one thing that you will absolutely never understand the appeal of?

shropshire

*********I forgot these:

Body piercings (I'm ok with one hole in each earlobe)
Fur (I don't get wearing real animal fur)
Guido guys
Scrapbooking to the point of WTF
Strip clubs
Child beauty pageants
Boots with fringe
Clothes with huge designer logos
Harry Potter books/movies
Vampire books/movies
This zombie craze
The Suicide Girl looks

:|

With that list.... Living where you do must be traumatizing on a daily basis:ph34r:

It is. I think I need therapy. :D

Nope .. just start drinking proper beer not that flavoured water that you mentioned earlier.

Sorry. Can't do it. :P:P:P I'm a beer wimp.
Always be kinder than you feel.

promise5

***Smoking
Coffee
Getting well and truly drunk
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
American football
Basketball
Vegemite or any of the other -mites
Cars built in English-speaking countries
SUVs
Almost any food described as a "delicacy"
Religion

You almost killed me!!:PI was drinking my coffee when I read your list. Yup, I inhaled it instead. Dang! coffee?? How can you not love/like coffee??

It's just gross to me. I forgot to put tea on the list, as well.
cavete terrae.

ryoder

To be fair .. nutrition is far more important than exercise AND a lot of these Lycra clad folk are not putting a lot of effort in anyway.. and can mostly be viewed outside Cafes.

Agreed. Even when I was putting in crazy long rides (up to 14 hrs in the saddle in one day), I never seemed to lose any weight. It was only when I started working on restricting my diet that I dropped the weight.

But the weird thing is if I miss my regular every-second-day 2.5hr ride, I can easily start gaining weight.

Yeap .. weight gain/loss is still a complete mystery to me too.. and clearly to the 'industry' too - agents of which often contradict each other to try and sell their latest 'magic-oh-this-one-will-really-work-this-time' wares:S

Personally, I'm going down the simplified food (made from primary ingredients and not packets route) and running my arse off (literally).. my cycle stays in the shed 'till spring.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Boogers

-Carrying balances on credit cards

Perfectly understandable by anyone who's ever had a job that pays so poorly that they barely squeek by from month to month, and need a credit card as a buffer for sudden, necessary unexpected expenses. Ever been broke and then lost your only pair of glasses?

If you've been fortunate enough never to have lived on the edge like this financially, lucky you.

Understandable? Sure, I guess. Appealing? No.

This one and the one about living far from your place of work and having a long drive could both have the added clause, "...if at all avoidable" but I thought that went without saying.

ryoder

*********Overweight lycra clad cyclists!!

I'll give them some slack;
At least they are making an effort to solve the problem.
And technically, I was one once.:P

How are we defining overweight, exactly?

BMI > 25.

Please don't support the use of that bullshit metric.
cavete terrae.

shropshire

To be fair .. nutrition is far more important than exercise AND a lot of these Lycra clad folk are not putting a lot of effort in anyway.. and can mostly be viewed outside Cafes.

Agreed. Even when I was putting in crazy long rides (up to 14 hrs in the saddle in one day), I never seemed to lose any weight. It was only when I started working on restricting my diet that I dropped the weight.

But the weird thing is if I miss my regular every-second-day 2.5hr ride, I can easily start gaining weight.

Yeap .. weight gain/loss is still a complete mystery to me too.. and clearly to the 'industry' too - agents of which often contradict each other to try and sell their latest 'magic-oh-this-one-will-really-work-this-time' wares:S

Personally, I'm going down the simplified food (made from primary ingredients and not packets route) and running my arse off (literally).. my cycle stays in the shed 'till spring.

Fair point that food choices have a greater influence on weight than does exercise. But exercise brings with it a whole host of other benefits, and I just find the whole "don't exercise unless you already look great in your exercise clothes" mantra to be remarkably judgmental. Fuck that - what's it to you or anyone else how someone looks while they're exercising (or sitting in front of a cafe)? People should wear what's comfortable and safe for the exercise in question regardless of their weight.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

shropshire

Overweight lycra clad cyclists!!

Ok, cyclist rant time:

Why the fuck do people who are trying to lose weight and get fit wear low-drag clothing on lightweight bicycles with skinny tires and clip-in pedals? Buy a cheap heavy piece of shit that actually takes some effort to move around, you'll get a better workout.

Furthermore: When I, a recovering fatty on a $200 crap bike that is the wrong size with wide tires and no clip-ins, pass a guy on a multi-thousands road bike, he should feel ashamed.
cavete terrae.

shropshire

If you consume less calories than your body needs, you will lose weight. It's that simple. If you need (for example) 2,800 calories a day to maintain your current weight and you eat 1,800 calories of ANYTHING for a week, you'll lose two pounds or so.

During my weight loss I was explaining this to a friend who went on some ridiculous rant about fats and carbs being the devil, I bet him $50 I could lose 2 pounds in one week having a burger and fries for lunch and a frozen pizza for dinner for a week.

Took the girlfriend out to dinner and a movie with the winnings B|
cavete terrae.

NWFlyer

Fair point that food choices have a greater influence on weight than does exercise. But exercise brings with it a whole host of other benefits, and I just find the whole "don't exercise unless you already look great in your exercise clothes" mantra to be remarkably judgmental. Fuck that - what's it to you or anyone else how someone looks while they're exercising (or sitting in front of a cafe)? People should wear what's comfortable and safe for the exercise in question regardless of their weight.

Oh for sure .. exercise is certainly (or should be) part of the equation.

Some friends of mine (who do weight training and 1 competes still I think)... they are often heard to say that "Abs are made in the kitchen"

(.)Y(.)

grue

Ok, cyclist rant time:

Why the fuck do people who are trying to lose weight and get fit wear low-drag clothing on lightweight bicycles with skinny tires and clip-in pedals? Buy a cheap heavy piece of shit that actually takes some effort to move around, you'll get a better workout.

Furthermore: When I, a recovering fatty on a $200 crap bike that is the wrong size with wide tires and no clip-ins, pass a guy on a multi-thousands road bike, he should feel ashamed.

Just as the mindless lemmings in the skydiving world think they need to downsize as soon as they have made one successful landing under a given size canopy, recreational cyclists think they need undersized, overpressured tires, too-low-spoke-count wheels, and too-high gearing that is suited only to professional athletes weighing <=150#.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

shropshire

Reading this will really cure you of eating the crap the processed food industry produces: http://michaelmossbooks.com/books/salt-sugar-fat/

There are interesting parallels in how the industry manipulates salt/sugar/fat, and how the tobacco industry manipulates nicotine levels.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

grue

If you consume less calories than your body needs, you will lose weight. It's that simple. If you need (for example) 2,800 calories a day to maintain your current weight and you eat 1,800 calories of ANYTHING for a week, you'll lose two pounds or so.

During my weight loss I was explaining this to a friend who went on some ridiculous rant about fats and carbs being the devil, I bet him $50 I could lose 2 pounds in one week having a burger and fries for lunch and a frozen pizza for dinner for a week.

Except it not that simple.... not all calories are made equal... The calculation is based upon burning stuff in a Bomb Calorimeter... and our bodies don't do that.

It would be a bit like saying if you consumed 1000 cals of paper... your'll put on as much weight as if you eat 1000 cals of sugar ... yeah right:S...

It's a rough estimate at best... BUT if it get's you examining what you eat then good.

(.)Y(.)

shropshire

Except it not that simple.... not all calories are made equal... The calculation is based upon burning stuff in a Bomb Calorimeter... and our bodies don't do that.

It would be a bit like saying if you consumed 1000 cals of paper... your'll put on as much weight as if you eat 1000 cals of sugar ... yeah right:S...

It's a rough estimate at best... BUT if it get's you examining what you eat then good.

That's true, but when it comes to actual food consumption instead of pica, it'll hold true in the overwhelming majority of cases B|
cavete terrae.

too-low-spoke-count wheels

By far, my most bomb-proof wheels have been my Mavic Ksyrium SSC, which have a relatively low spoke count. My Mavic Ksyrium Elites are way up there too with the same count.

And you know I have a good load on those wheels :D

As far as gearing, some of us have been blessed with not having stupid mountains in every direction. :P
Remster

grue

That's true, but when it comes to actual food consumption instead of pica, it'll hold true in the overwhelming majority of cases B|

B|B|

(.)Y(.)

Remster

too-low-spoke-count wheels

By far, my most bomb-proof wheels have been my Mavic Ksyrium SSC, which have a relatively low spoke count. My Mavic Ksyrium Elites are way up there too with the same count.

And you know I have a good load on those wheels :D

I once rode up to Lyons and at a convenience store met a guy with low-spoke-count wheels and a CF frame. He had broken one spoke, and now the tire was rubbing against the stays. He was trying to reach someone on the phone who could pick him up and take him back to Ft Collins, 40 miles away.

I'll bet my self-built 36H wheels wouldn't have had that problem.;)

As far as gearing, some of us have been blessed with not having stupid mountains in every direction.

You're just jealous.:P

grue

I had to google that.
For a moment, I thought you were talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pika:D

shropshire

Jolly flat here too ... wind is our 'hills' in East Anglia:)

We get wind by the shitload here in the winter.>:(
Half the rides I miss in the winter is because the wind is so high I can't even hold a line in the crosswind.>:(