Nataly

Cat woke us up at 4 am...

... Because he was playing with a scorpion! :o:| Didn't even know we had those over here. Apparently they are harmless but damned if *I* would play with one!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

... Because he was playing with a scorpion! :o:| Didn't even know we had those over here. Apparently they are harmless but damned if *I* would play with one!!

They taste like almonds when roasted correctly.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

:D:D

Funny: we heard the cat "dig around" that spot recently and couldn't figure out what the deal was... Thought he had puked again or peed or pooped (which so far he has never done outside of the toilet and/or his litter)...

Poor thing... We just squished his favourite little buddy/toy!! :(
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nope. Not as "fat." Looking for pics...

ETA - Saw more pics (including of the other 2 possible species in the area)... Looks like you're right after all!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Whilst the côte d'azur is *technically* part of "provence," normally when referring to Provence it is the south-west of France they are referring to. Our area is very different in terms of creepy crawlies... I can attest to it personally since I spent the first several months in the Lubéron when I first decided to migrate south... The South-West region and the French Riviera are very, VERY different!! Over here, it's the people who are freaky - not so much the critters!!! :D:D

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Take a picture BEFORE smooshing it next time! But yeah, your cat will defend you from such things, and mice and cockroaches and birds. I've never met a cat that didn't like the hairbands you can get 50 of for like $4. Mine also likes those little silver puff balls they sell as cat toys, and the fur mice. I stick my fur mice into a container of catnip for a while before giving them to the cat.

If you want to see a cat go completely insane, get some valerian root powder and put a little on the floor somewhere. Don't go overboard with the valerian. It'll make your cat go insane, and it smells very strongly of old moldy gym sock.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I once met a guy who had gone camping in the US Southwest (AZ or NM), for a few weeks. He arrived at his campsite, set up his tent, unrolled the sleeping bag in it, then drove into the nearest town.

He returned that night, crawled into the sleeping bag...and got stung by about a dozen scorpions.:S

He said the swelling was so bad he couldn't wear pants for days.[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

FlyingRhenquest

Take a picture BEFORE smooshing it next time!

Tell me about it... My boyfriend squished it before I could stop him!! >:(>:(
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nataly

***Take a picture BEFORE smooshing it next time!

Tell me about it... My boyfriend squished it before I could stop him!! >:(>:(

Time to get a New Boyfriend - at least New to You;)

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Erroll

There is a general rule as to venomous-ness: The lighter the color, the less deadly they are.

Down here the general rule is: the bigger the claws, the less venomous they are.

Yeah well, the rule here is "if you can see it, it can kill you. If you can't see it, it's about to"
cavete terrae.

HighJB

*** normally when referring to Provence it is the south-west of France they are referring to.

Not exactly, Provence is South East of France. ;)

Ok, yes you are right, but generally speaking they do not include the most easterly bit (ie the Cote d'Azur)... Generally, it's "not as far east" as that!!! But correct: not actually the south-west of France. When I think of Provence it is more the Var, Vaucluse, Bouches-du-Rhone... The Cote d'Azur is kind of its very own la-la-land (even though technically part of Provence).

ETA: Just looked it up on Wikipedia and it kinda makes sense... Historical Provence did not include as much oh the Hautes Alpes and the Compté de Nice... Probably why today it is called PACA (Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur). Learn something new every day!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

bob.dino

***All scorpions hurt like hell, if they sting. This comes from personal experience.

Scorpions are very different on different continents. To the best of my knowledge, there are no dangerous scorpions in France.

Rarely Mortal - (I suppose that means Fatal)

The vipers, scorpions and centipedes are rarely mortal but can cause inflammations and other unpleasant symptoms. A viper bite should always be taken seriously, though. Scorpions in north Africa can be highly toxic and deadly, but while the species found in France do contain a nerve toxin, it is not mortal for a healthy person. In general, the further south, and the further into the garrigue (scrubland), the higher the possibility of finding scorpions. For example, in the Luberon in Provence, I regularly have to get rid of scorpions in my bedroom because we have the garrigue right outside, whereas in a farmhouse in Saint Andiol near Avignon, I never saw any during six years because the land around us was more cultivated. The largest scorpions I've seen were around 5 cm (2") long.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun