RMK

American dining

American chain restaurants are generally soulless places and not exactly easily confused with Michelin-starred establishments.

However, this takes the "classless" number far beyond what a group of button-wearing happy birthday singing waitstaff can do:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/tgi-fridays-mistletoe-drones-want-you-to-pucker-up/

I would bitchslap the manager if someone flew a drone over my table while I was dining.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

>American chain restaurants are generally soulless places and not exactly easily
>confused with Michelin-starred establishments. However, this takes the "classless"
>number far beyond what a group of button-wearing happy birthday singing
>waitstaff can do:

Agreed, although this is being done in the UK, not the US.

My bad; you got me. I didn't read the part where it said TGI Fridays UK.

When the UK copies something that is already bad in American, we never fail to make it much worse. Like British people dressing in American western wear and line dancing - it's just wrong.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

When the UK copies something that is already bad in American, we never fail to make it much worse. Like British people dressing in American western wear and line dancing - it's just wrong.

You'd probably see the drone getting shot out of the sky if this happened in a US restaurant.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***My bad; you got me. I didn't read the part where it said TGI Fridays UK.

You'd probably see the drone getting shot out of the sky if this happened in a US restaurant.

Meh;
It's indoors;
A tennis racquet is all you need.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

RMK

article

Mistletoe drones spread their holiday cheer in San Francisco last year, but this is the first time they'll be hovering inside UK restaurants playing Cupid.

Yeah, it started in the US. You were correct the first time. :S
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Trafficdiver

Am I the only one who will enjoy watching the carnage this will create?

Do you mean the carnage caused by guys thinking that the mistletoe overhead gives them the "right" to kiss a girl?

Or the carnage caused by the wives of the above guys?

Or the carnage caused by the thing getting swatted out of the air and across the room?

Or the carnage caused by all the shit being thrown at it?

C'mon, it's the USA. Given the crap that's top rated on TV, this will take off like gangbusters.

Personally, I'd see what would happen if a napkin was tossed over it.

Would it foul one rotor and throw it wildly out of control?
Or maybe foul all the rotors and make it drop like a rock?
Or maybe just screw up the airflow into the rotors and it would simply settle?

Or maybe I'd just throw the table candle at it. My aim is usually pretty good.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

JohnMitchell
Damn. You know, I've been around enough spinning propellers to have a lot of respect for them. I like to keep my distance from those drones too. :S

Blade guards have existed virtually since the advent of mechanical rotating fans. Blade guard technology is pretty old, as is the common understanding of the need for its use where warranted and practicable. In plain English, the restaurant's failure to appreciate and guard against the danger of using un-guarded propeller blades indoors near customers is unforgivable. And if the manufacturer and/or vendor of the drone intended the drone for indoor use, the blame's on them, too.

See the blade guards on this indoor-use quadricopter? It can be done.

Everyone should keep shit like this in mind the next time some uninformed douchebag barfs out simplistic slogans like "tort reform".

I expect a couple of quick lawsuits will put this kind of promotion to rest, even a guard isn't going to protect 100% against injury.

I guess I am getting old because I want to scream "you're going to take an eye out with that!".

I have a quad QX350 and am doing well to keep it under control outside where it has a GPS signal, not sure I would want to risk it inside with no GPS and a room full of drunk patrons!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com