DrewEckhardt

Men don't need vanity sizing to protect our egos

I'm a guy and don't shop around. I need something, I buy it, and am done until it wears out.

Having gotten back in shape and shrunk from 205 to 140 pounds (I planned on buying a Porsche 993 Turbo for my mid-life crisis, but it didn't fit my budget like riding the bicycle I already owned did) I need new clothes that don't feel like tents and thought it would work like that - apply tape measure, look at size charts, select the same inoffensive colors I've worn for 20 years, and be done.

NO.

Although men's clothes are sized in inches manufacturers lie so it's not that simple.

Note the attached picture of two race-fit cycling jerseys sized for 35-37" chests, 29-31" waists, and 35-37" hips. The one on top is accurate. The one on the bottom is super-sized as is now typical.

Slacks are worse. A web search turned up this

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a8386/pants-size-chart-090710/

where Esquire found 36" pants varied from 37" around to a staggering 41".

On top of that Dockers now has skinny tapered, slim tapered, slim, standard tapered, straight, classic and relaxed fits where they don't even bother with understated measurements like hip and thigh size.

Manufacturers: please tell us how big your clothes really are. Let us use a tape measure (steel when we're feeling tough, cloth or plastic when we're in touch with our feminine sides) on ourselves and be done. Don't mislabel things so we don't feel so fat.

I wonder if this is something I can sue over. If Levi Strauss hadn't marked my 39.5" dockers 36" I'd have been ashamed and lost weight sooner adding years to my life. That is the American way.

I was measured for a jumpsuit recently and at first didn't believe the measurements. I even measured the measuring tape. For years I never questioned the number on the pants I buy.

If the number on my pants is intended to represent inches, depending on the brand, it is 4 to 5 inches off reality.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thank god here in the UK we haven't yet succumbed to that nonsense. I bought a pair of jeans a few days ago and the tape measure aound my waist matches the measurement around the jeans and the size label (34").

In general the grading on men`s clothing is 2" per size (divided evenly over the number of seams) at the waist, chest or hips, with 1/4" added to length per size.

The grading on women's clothing is slightly more confusing - all patterns are based on a size 8, 5' 5" tall, B Cup with proportional bust, hips and waist. They are then graded up or down from there.

Between sizes 4 and 12 clothes are either upgraded or downgraded by 1" per size based on the size 8 and lengthened /shortened by 1/4". Between size 12 - 16 1 1/2" is added per size while maintaining the 1/4" length adjustment. Above size 16 2" per size is added to the garment (length adjustment is still 1/4" per size)
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Cycling gear is all over the place.

LG is atypical in North America: they actually size about right (maybe on a large side). Everything else made in NA is larger than size. Euro kit is about right on size (maybe smaller, that's what I tell myself lol). Assos is actually about right.
Remster

For years I've bought my pants from Lands End, because I can specify both waist *and* inseam, and the that is the only way to get an inseam long enough to fit me. Due to bad experiences in the past with some companies that seem to through a label with the size ordered onto any random pair they happen to have in stock, I always measure them. The last time I ordered from LE, the waist size was an inch too large, but since it was only an inch, I let it go. Next time, I will be returning them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is why I don't shop online for clothes.

Depending on which manufacturer AND which country the clothes were made in can vary from a good fit to 2" too long to 2" too short and the same for waist size. :S

Shoes - evidently my feet expand and contract on a regular basis. I only buy those in the store because while I'm a solid 13D.... according to which Asian country manufactured them I can be anywhere from a 12EE or a 15D. >:(

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Depending on which manufacturer AND which country the clothes were made in can vary from a good fit to 2" too long to 2" too short and the same for waist size. :S

Shoes - evidently my feet expand and contract on a regular basis. I only buy those in the store because while I'm a solid 13D.... according to which Asian country manufactured them I can be anywhere from a 12EE or a 15D. >:(

Shoes are something I don't like to buy online either.
Even shoes from the *same* manufacturer don't even have consistent sizing!>:(

Example 1:
I needed to replace my worn out Nike Pegasus running shoes, so I went to the local sporting goods store. I tried on the same Nike Pegasus in the same size; WAY too tight. So I tried a half size larger; Still too tight. I had to go up a full size to get the same fit as the ones I bought two years earlier!

Example 2:
I have two pairs of Pearl Izumi cycling shoes, both size 47, (one summer model, one winter model).
The summer shoes have a crazy excess of space beyond the toes, probably 3/4".
The winter shoes touch the ends of my toes.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BIGUN

Yep. ALWAYS go to the fitting room and try them on. Out of a batch of pants from different manufacturers, all marked with the same waist size and length, some will fit me, and some won't.

ryoder

Shoes are something I don't like buy online either.

I do, but only from retailers (like Zappos) that have free shipping both ways. If I didn't buy online I'd really struggle to find shoes that fit; I ordered from catalogs back in the day or shopped at Nordstrom, which was about the only retailer that seems to acknowledge that not everyone's feet are a B/M width. I stick with brands I know but still probably have a :D

Clothing sizing is all kinds of fucked up, and I long ago decided that the number on the tag is (mostly) irrelevant; if the clothing fits and I like it, I'll wear it. It means I might have things of varying sizes, all of which fit, but oh well. It also means sometimes I'll buy things from the men's section (generally athletic shoes/athletic wear) because I like the fit better for my shape. Whatever.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Remster

Cycling gear is all over the place.

LG is atypical in North America: they actually size about right (maybe on a large side). Everything else made in NA is larger than size. Euro kit is about right on size (maybe smaller, that's what I tell myself lol). Assos is actually about right.

Vague rule of thumb on European kit is that it gets slightly smaller as country of origin gets further south. Scandinavian, German and Swiss is normal, French and Italian come up a bit small (and some aero Castelli is tiny).

Sugoi (Canadian) is also pretty well sized.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Totally agree. Just tell it like it is and I'm happy.....I don't need an ego boost from a clothing manufacturer.

The only things I buy online are socks and condoms.......very hard to find the 'Percheron Extreme' size here in my local drugstores.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Vague rule of thumb on European kit is that it gets slightly smaller as country of origin gets further south. Scandinavian, German and Swiss is normal, French and Italian come up a bit small (and some aero Castelli is tiny).
[/QUOTE]

As a guy with low fat and the genetic build for climbing I disagree.

Castelli's size chart allows a 12cm (4.7 inch) difference between chest and waist, but in practice they accommodate even more gelato. Their small aero jersey (36.2" chest, right in the middle of the Louis Garneau XS 35-37" range) fit me like a tent. Louis Garneau specifies 35-37" chest with a 29-31" waist with 6" between the two measurements but works with a smaller gut.

Attached: Castelli small aero (they don't make XS), LG XS pro-fit, and LG XS aero.

Description for people who don't want to see middle aged guys in lycra (I wouldn't): Castelli aero is looser than Louis Garneau standard fit. When you try to purchase a real aero jersey the sellers advise against it or tell you to buy a size or two bigger.

Eye-safe lg_m_xs_fits-small.jpg: LG XS aero vs racer-fit and pro-fit. As a ludicrous example of size inflation the Castelli aero jersey is bigger around the middle than the casual euro-cut on the bottom.

This season I'm training for my one-hour Mt. Diablo t-shirt.

Remster

very hard to find the 'Percheron Extreme' size here in my local drugstores.

You look for socks at the drugstore?????

Just the ones next to the condoms.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Boomerdog

I wonder if this is something I can sue over. If Levi Strauss hadn't marked my 39.5" dockers 36" I'd have been ashamed and lost weight sooner adding years to my life. That is the American way.

Go talk to lawrocket.

Do NOT talk to Andy . . . He's totally misqualified.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun