ryoder

Harrison Ford injured in plane crash

http://www.tmz.com/2015/03/05/harrison-ford-plane-crash-landing-golf-course-santa-monica/

ETA Chopper view of crash site and loading HF into ambulance:http://www.lbc.co.uk/harrison-ford-injured-after-plane-crash-105965
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

72-year-old Ford is a longtime aviator -- piloting planes and helicopters -- and has crashed multiple times in the past.

Is it time for the bowling talk ?

With that much experience.....I wonder if he even needed a stunt-double when he rolled that '55 Chevy........

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

72-year-old Ford is a longtime aviator -- piloting planes and helicopters -- and has crashed multiple times in the past.

With that much experience.....I wonder if he even needed a stunt-double when he rolled that '55 Chevy........

Don

The bowling talk would prevent engine trouble?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

When it happened I saw he crashed landed on Penmar Golf Course. I've played it. It's west of Santa Monica Airport. Prevailing winds are usually from the west, which told me he probably had an engine failure on takeoff. Subsequent reports are engine failure. Yeah. He wouldn't be trying to land downwind for the hell of it.

Looks like he was injured. On the good side he may have lost the earring. Added benefit, I no longer have the record for largest divot made at Penmar

My wife is hotter than your wife.

On Slashdot, a poster reported that a personal acquaintance saw the wreckage and told him the prop had no damage at all, indicating it wasn't even turning when he "landed".

Ouch... Ford's got some serious injuries to recover from. [:/]

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/harrison-ford-broke-pelvis-and-ankle-in-plane-crash-report/ar-AA9sMT2

Blame this motherfucker for the crash.... :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Added benefit, I no longer have the record for largest divot made at Penmar

:D

I wonder if he yelled "Fore....d!" as he came in.

Don

Dayum!:o
Looks like the golf course is the *only* option other than the airport, and the trees certainly make it a challenge!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa+Monica+Municipal+Airport/@34.0112047,-118.4537613,4265m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x2d27120593ddd9b4

ryoder

Dayum!:o
Looks like the golf course is the *only* option other than the airport, and the trees certainly make it a challenge!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa+Monica+Municipal+Airport/@34.0112047,-118.4537613,4265m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x2d27120593ddd9b4

It certainly is the only option available. And it isn't even a good one. Penmar is an executive golf course. Nine holes and unless continuing has changed in fifteen years there isn't even a par 5 on it. Longest fairway probably has no more than 300 yards of straight fairway.

It's one of those cases of an airport around which homes were built right up to the edges, and now they want it closed. Although there are a lot of business jet operations there.

The Smithsonian Air & Space magazine did an article on it recently (1), which laid out a lot of the issues, but it was seen by the local airport association (2) as being a biased article with some out of data information.

(1)http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/can-airport-be-saved-180952758/?all
(2) http://www.santamonicaairport.info/in-the-news-the-beacon/

I'll have to read those articles, but that airport is on, what, 200-300 acres of some of the most prime real estate in the world. Santa Monica hates that airport. Well, the local Santa Monica City Officials do because that site is worth billions of dollars of redevelopment that could bring in lots of revenue through property and sales taxes. Not to mention redevelopment of everything on both ends of that runway.

He has one helliva a life. This news story has some great pics and info. He has a nice collection of planes, bikes. cars and a chopper.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2982614/The-moment-hero-pilot-Harrison-Ford-treated-golf-course.html
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

PLFKING

Given that he was flying an aircraft as old as he is I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Some of the best pilots in the world get killed on a semi regular basis flying vintage aircraft. Shit breaks.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

All the news reports just say. vintage world war 2 aircraft. Anyone know what type of plane he was flying?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

All the news reports just say. vintage world war 2 aircraft. Anyone know what type of plane he was flying?

Ryan PT-22 Recruit

Always pisses me off when I see some self righteous asshat complaining about the noise from an airport that was there when the asshats arrived.

I remember for a couple of seasons at Parkman we had a TwinBo that was a real plate rattler. B|

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

They reported non-life threatening. I can tell you that a broken pelvis could very well be life threatening. He is 72 years old, the surgery is a risk and blood clots could be a real issue. I had surgery on my pelvis just short of two years ago. Because I was non weight bearing for 3 months a having right leg immobilized I had blood clots along with a pulmonary embolism causing a heart attack struggled a bit. I wish him the best. He did the best he could to put it down safely.

The bowling talk would prevent engine trouble?

Doubtful. I'm not a pilot, nor have I ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so I can't call it.

But given that he's had at least three other crashes or emergency landings, and that all of them had some degree of pilot error involved......maybe.

At least he could build his own alley.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

ryoder

***All the news reports just say. vintage world war 2 aircraft. Anyone know what type of plane he was flying?

Ryan PT-22 Recruit

It was a nexus-6.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

akarunway

This news story has some great pics and info. He has a nice collection of planes, bikes. cars and a chopper.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2982614/The-moment-hero-pilot-Harrison-Ford-treated-golf-course.html

I love the way crash-landing pilots, so long as they don't actually hit them, are always credited with heroically steering their stricken planes away from residential areas. As though the only reason you would prefer not to slam into the side of a house is that there might be people in there.

I also love the helpful red circle - just in case you're having trouble finding the aircraft in this picture.

And it gets better, because in that same article The Daily Fail also tells us which of Ford's other aircraft are pictured. Apparently this is a "de Havilland Canadian DHC-2 Beaver" and this is an "Aviat Husky".

So now we know. It's actually good news, because it means I can add "Aviat Husky" to my logbook.

MikeJD

***This news story has some great pics and info. He has a nice collection of planes, bikes. cars and a chopper.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2982614/The-moment-hero-pilot-Harrison-Ford-treated-golf-course.html

I love the way crash-landing pilots, so long as they don't actually hit them, are always credited with heroically steering their stricken planes away from residential areas. As though the only reason you would prefer not to slam into the side of a house is that there might be people in there.

I also love the helpful red circle - just in case you're having trouble finding the aircraft in this picture.

And it gets better, because in that same article The Daily Fail has also told us which of Ford's other aircraft are pictured. Allegedly:
"de Havilland Canadian DHC-2 Beaver"
"Aviat Husky"

So now you know.You are correct. And I did some research on his life after. I sure as fuck don't agree w/ his political connenctions and and his so called concerns for the people and the envirornment. They all seem quite self serving. In the story after one flight (I'm guessing) he get in his expensive car and looks like he's parked in a red zone and whips a U turn like he's god and fuck the traffic. He sucked the Hollywood elites dicks to get to where he is and the lamestream media always portrays him as some sort of hero. Google his life story. Remember. The jews own Hollywierd and the banks and the fed and the media and on and on. And he's half Irish and half german jew.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

You are correct. And I did some research on his life after. I sure as fuck don't agree w/ his political connenctions and and his so called concerns for the people and the envirornment. They all seem quite self serving. In the story after one flight (I'm guessing) he get in his expensive car and looks like he's parked in a red zone and whips a U turn like he's god and fuck the traffic. He sucked the Hollywood elites dicks to get to where he is and the lamestream media always portrays him as some sort of hero. Google his life story. Remember. The jews own Hollywierd and the banks and the fed and the media and on and on. And he's half Irish and half german jew.

Erm... I know virtually nothing, and care less, about what Harrison Ford is like as a person. Our celebrity-obsessed culture baffles me.

I was just poking fun at what passes for news 'reporting', especially in situations like this.