ladyskydiver

Katana questions

I've heard they're planning sizes up to a 150, but they are not out yet.

It's going to be MUCH more radical than the Sabre2.

135 and 150 sizes are planned.

Not even close to the same catagory as a Sabre 2. Dives MUCH longer after a turn. "Hunts" for a heading on deployment. Steep trim angle, makes long spots more of a challenge.

Definately a canopy design for the pilot that wants to fly high performance landings.

The Stiletto is a better choice for someone who wants to step up without putting themselves in the corner. Often dismissed as being an "old" design, the Siletto is still a competitive player.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Definately a canopy design for the pilot that wants to fly high performance landings.

Says all...thanks! HP landings are not something I'm looking to get into now or maybe ever.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I would have to disagree. I have 1000+ jumps on the same size ST as th KA.
I don't have an issue with it searching more than a ST. I've had beautiful consistant on heading openings on this KA. I would agree that the ST is better at making it back from long spots...then again I am just learning to fly the KA.
The Katana is most definetly NOT a canopy for the intermediate canopy pilot. It comes out of the sky a hell of a lot faster than a ST.
X's and O's

I've not flown the Katana at all, but from a VERY reputable source: the canopies are nearly identical except that the Katana has longer lines and is missing the airlocks. I'd venture to say they perform quite similarly.

-R

Now that the Katana has been out for a while, any Samurai pilots got to compare the 2? Some people were saying that the flight carateristic were very similar....

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I suppose it depends on how much a length difference there is. Longer lines will give you a longer recovery arc, and shorter lines will make the canopy feel more responsive... which is what I hear are the are the performance differences between the two. I wasn't able to find the line trim charts for the Katana, so I can't compare with any certainty, the Samurai ones were easy to come by. It'd be nice to get a side-by-side comparison. After looking at some some docs on both canopies, at the same area they have different aspect ratios and wing-spans...makes me wonder now...

-R

-R

Katana has longer lines....I'd venture to say they perform quite similarly

I can't say for sure (Haven't flown either yet) but I'd venture a guess that changing the lines will make them fly quite differently.

Blues,
Ian

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Some people were saying that the flight carateristic were very similar....

I seem to remeber some people trying to say the airfoils were identical, not the flight carachteristics.

I haven't found them to be the same at all.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've not flown the Katana at all,... I'd venture to say they perform quite similarly.

I don't understand why people advise on things they've never experienced themselves...

my advice: read the reviews in the gear reviews section and listen to only those people who have put many jumps on both canopies. And if you want to know more, email brian germain and pd and ask them directly.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

They are in R&D - and our test jumpers are having loads of fun with the "big" sizes :)I don't have a release date yet - but I would expect to see those two sizes added to the line up later on this year.
The little ones are doing great though, and I'm sure the other two sizes will be quite popular too.

Blue ones,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir,
Performance Designs, Inc
Blue Skies Magazine

I really want to jump the Katana 135. Had my name in for a demo since they started advertising the thing. As far as being very similar to a samurai, I couldn't imagine it would be. PD says it fits between a Stilletto and velocity. I recently sold my samurai since I switched to a crossfire of similar size. I loved the flight characteristics of the Samurai but the crossfire is much more high performance. The speed generated from a dive on the crossfire is incredible when compared with a samurai. I have a pre-conceived idea that the katana will outperform the Crossfire. Anyone got any input on that?

I understand that the logo isn't available as it is very difficult and expensive to make. I just had a demo canopy which did have it on so I guess if you were prepared to pay enough then they would do it.

I've heard costs up around $800 though.

D

I have a pre-conceived idea that the katana will outperform the Crossfire. Anyone got any input on that?

Read my review. I have about 200 jumps on my Katana now and still lovin it. I'm not maxing it out by any means yet, with mostly 90's to 120's on landings and occasionally up to a 180.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Thanks, Lew. Very good information. I'll Just have to try it when they get the 135 out and make my own decision. Openings were a strong selling point for the crossfire along with power of the swoop. The Katana will have to swoop a lot harder than the crossfire for me to want to give up those sweet, sweet openings.