maxmadmax

What do you think of Racer Containers?

Every stow is a locking stow to prevent bag strip and line dump in high-speed deployments. This system has had a zero failure rate in thousands of jumps.

More stows present more chances for hang ups or bag locks. What other manufactors are using similar designs? And has the speed bag gone through thousands of deployments or just thousands of jumps? My reserve has about 700 jumps on it but still no deployments ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>? Please expand.

Jumpshack is I think the only company that is now telling riggers to pack reservers with rubber bands instead of the Safety Stow. Rubber bands can cause bag lock on mains...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If rubber bands can cause bag lick, how come I have only seen that malfunction once in over 4300 jumps. The last bag lock I experienced was on a first generation tandem, a model that fell out of fashion almost a decade ago.
Tandems are in an entirely different league when it comes to number and strength of rubber bands. Personally I would prefer an Racer (speed bag) or Eclipse (lots of rubber bands) over a Strong tandem d-bag, just because it is quicker to replace rubber bands in the middle of a busy day vs. fumbling for a new bungee cord.
The bottom line is, if you want reliable deployments at faster than normal skydiving speeds, you need more than two locking stows.

More stows present more chances for hang ups or bag locks.

No, it actually prevents them. Just look at any pilot emergency rig and see what the history is on how many locks there have been on the diapers. The fact remains, thousands of deployments and zero failures.

What other manufacturesare using similar designs?

Let them tell about their products, but they have been advertising.

And has the speed bag gone through thousands of deployments or just thousands of jumps? My reserve has about 700 jumps on it but still no deployments

Well since it is used for a main bag also as was in my post I certainly hope so.:P The main bag speedbag is the same deployment system as the reserve.

The suggestion made in this thread for you to try to 'demo' some harness-containers of various mfgr. is a good one! See for yourself, which one will do what you are looking for in a rig.
To me, for what it's worth, I feel the Racer is quite a good harness-container. Very comfortable. Good workmanship. A good example of 'form follows function'. Reserve deployments are fast. The Type - 13 webbing used in making the harness for the Racer is more compatible to the quick-fit adapters on the leg-straps. Very good workmanship and materials. I don't mind re-packing the reserves on them at all. In fact, I charge no more for a Racer, than any other harness-container. Good luck to you!

Chuck

I have had 2 (1992 and 1998) and would buy another - I would need to see that the M2K is as comfortable. Make sure you have a Rigger first who has no problems packing the reserve. From what I have seen, service from JumpShack is excellent - especially so just recently...

rm

Oh, and as for all the whining about the "dangers" of rubber bands, my experience has been that they work just fine for about two years. After two years the cheap rubber bands start to react chemically with brass grommets and rot out.

Now can anyone remember the official FAA repack cycle on reserves?
Hint!
Leading question ...

what do you guys think about this design? I think Jump shack switched to the "no brass" bag after this one...am I correct?

This had a little flap that was supposed to go over the line stows, but it never wanted to stay in place. Plus, the 2 locking stows went through the brass grommets.
my pics & stuff!

what do you guys think about this design?

It is no longer in production.

I think Jump shack switched to the "no brass" bag after this one...am I correct?

Yes

Both of my racers have that bag (with the grommets)...is it recommended or even possible to change them out to (or trade them in for) the speed bag?
Miami

The safety stow is still standard on all Reserve bags unless you ask for the other option.

Can you get the freebag with the old/conventional safety stow if requested?
Yes you can and there is no additional charge for it either. It's like Burger King, you can have it your way;)

Must be a new practice, I know a few people that had to go to riggers to have thier freebags (Re-modified) after they sent their Racers in for repack and got their bag changed to a rubber band stow. And when they asked for the old design they were told no. Maybe this policy has changed, and if it has for sure, then you can tell us about it. I do know that Jumpshack doesn't care for the safety stow at all, so I dont see them selling something they dont believe in. Curious, sell something that you feel unsafe, or stick to your guns and back up your design?

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Shock cord on locking stows have caused baglocks on reserve freebags.

The speed bag main bag and freebag use rubber bands to prevent bag lock. Rubber bands will break under force where shock cord will not. Every stow is a locking stow to prevent bag strip and line dump in high-speed deployments. This system has had a zero failure rate in thousands of jumps. In addition, another manufacture has adopted its own version of a speed bag freebag and another is being tested.

The shock cord has caused baglocks on reserve freebags? When? I cant find an incedent anywhere.

Help me out, with so many manufacturers using the shock cord, has there ever been a case of a bag lock due to the shock cord? Add up all the reserve rides that will equal many thousands, I think that will prove shock cord is a fairly good design.
Saying that your design is proven becuase you have thousands of jumps on it works, but it also hurts saying the old design isnt as good, or can cause problems, (ie line dump, baglock) because there has been many thousands of jumps on the shock cord, freestow design. There has been hard openings with the freestow design, but until there has been as many jumps on your design as the freestow design, the jury is still out.

Added: I like the new racer, I think they are working hard to make a good container, the freestow/stowed bag, is something you will have to make up your own mind on, there is many arguments for both sides.

Ray

Must be a new practice,

No it is not.

I know a few people that had to go to riggers to have thier freebags (Re-modified) after they sent their Racers in for repack and got their bag changed to a rubber band stow.

That is because when we ask them if they want any factory updates they said yes.

And when they asked for the old design they were told no.

Who said no? Because like LouDiamond said, we have both. We strongly suggest the speedbag but no required update has been made. And in fact, most customers want the freebag. And once the riggers attend one of our rigging seminars here at the factory or at any of the boogies that we attend, there is usually no further issues. I would recommend that when you become a rigger that you attend the training.

Maybe this policy has changed, and if it has for sure, then you can tell us about it.

There has been no policy change. We still support both types but strongly recommend the speedbag.

I do know that Jumpshack doesn't care for the safety stow at all, so I dont see them selling something they dont believe in. Curious, sell something that you feel unsafe, or stick to your guns and back up your design?

Ray, there is a difference between safe and safer or unsafe and safe. The above is only your perception and not the representation of the company. Please do not mislead people.

Mike Forsythe
Jump Shack

Any followups on this? Are Jumpshack still providing the shock cord free bag _and_ the speed bag?

I haven't had any rigging training, and I don't know any of the pros and cons of each type of bag...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

The shock cord has caused baglocks on reserve freebags? When? I cant find an incedent anywhere.

There have been two incidents that I know of and maybe more. This was discussed at the last PIA conference.

Help me out, with so many manufacturers using the shock cord, has there ever been a case of a bag lock due to the shock cord?

Yes

Add up all the reserve rides that will equal many thousands, I think that will prove shock cord is a fairly good design.

I agree that it is a fairly good design that is time proven, but it is not 100% full proff. So are you saying that we should not try to improve it?

Saying that your design is proven because you have thousands of jumps on it works, but it also hurts saying the old design isnt as good, or can cause problems, (ie line dump, baglock) because there has been many thousands of jumps on the shock cord, freestow design. There has been hard openings with the freestow design, but until there has been as many jumps on your design as the freestow design, the jury is still out.

It may "hurt" but innovation and progress will happen. That is like saying the skyhook "hurts" because it may be better than a regular RSL. People usually do not like change because the have accepted what they have and are comfortable with it, but that should never interfere with innovation and progress. Heck, I can remember when people fought over having a shoulder harness on their car seats because their "lap belts have always worked fine"

I know a few people that had to go to riggers to have thier freebags (Re-modified) after they sent their Racers in for repack and got their bag changed to a rubber band stow.

That is because when we ask them if they want any factory updates they said yes.

I dont want to mislead people, and I think people should make up their ownmind, you should go to Deland and talk to Ron Solo
, he had his bag modified and he asked them not to, when he asked for the old design he was told not possible, he then had to find a masterrigger to remodify his bag back to the old design. Like I said maybe you have changed this practice since then, and if it has then I gave the oportunity to let us know.

Safe unsafe, my perception? I agree with you, but in your previous posts you mention how dangerous the shock cord design is very strongly, so Im wondering why you would sell something you feel so unsafe?.

Ray

I dont want to mislead people, and I think people should make up their ownmind, you should go to Deland and talk to Ron Solo, he had his bag modified and he asked them not to, when he asked for the old design he was told not possible, he then had to find a masterrigger to remodify his bag back to the old design. Like I said maybe you have changed this practice since then, and if it has then I gave the oportunity to let us know.

So now we have gone from a few to a single incident that may or may not have happened out of thousands of rigs that have been built. As previously stated our practice has not changed. We still strongly suggest that the speed bag be used.

Safe unsafe, my perception? I agree with you, but in your previous posts you mention how dangerous the shock cord design is very strongly, so Im wondering why you would sell something you feel so unsafe?.

I never stated that it was “dangerous” so please quit improperly quoting me. In fact what I posted was “I agree that it is a fairly good design that is time proven, but it is not 100% full proof.” As for the rest of your comments they have been clearly addressed in previous post.

>So post me an opinion on Racer containers.

Nothing to add to the what's been said but I
still like them. I got my first one in 1976 and
the one I have now about 10 years ago.

The only upgrade I would do is cover the bit
of exposed bridle.

Skr