maxmadmax

What do you think of Racer Containers?

Racers:

-Jump Shack does the best job of fitting rigs to small women I've ever seen.
-Their RSL is a bit odd; I stopped using mine after a while.
-Older racers had a lot of velcro, but it's been eliminated in their latest rigs (the 2K3.)
-Repacking Racer reserves definitely takes some getting used to. Some riggers prefer not to repack Racers.
-You need a 2 pin cypres, and they are not that common if you have a used cypres you want to use.
-Good reserve pin protection.

I've got a Racer built in 1989, so it's a bit old. So the following is what I've found on my older Racer.

Pros:
Very comfortable. Excellent reserve pin protection.

Cons:
Can't freefly it. Your just asking for problems. I have been told I can make it FF safe, but I'm not going to risk it. Pin protection isn't as good as other rigs. Lots of exposed bridle. Velcro riser covers work, but keep the velco in really good condition. Stowing the risers takes awhile due to all the velcro along the sides of the reserve tray.

Fantastic rig, most comfortable on the market IMO. As Bill pointed out, for the female frame it is the best choice for overall fit ,be it in the yoke or breast/chest strap areas. If you like the idea of a small, light , comfortable rig then it's ideal for male or female. While older Racers,like any older gear, had some issues it is no longer a concern. Todays Racers are Freefly friendly, have no velcro and are completely customizable with little to no extra charge in some cases. Older Racers can be upgraded on a case by case basis to make them Freefly friendly pretty cheap too. Best of all, wait times are in the 4-6 week time frame for custom built gear. But, like anything else in skydiving today, a lot depends on your preferences, taste and some cases budget. Check out all the manufacturers gear,try it on, demo it and make a decision for yourself because it really does boil down to your preferences. Just because some people like anchovies doesn't mean everyone does;) Personally, I think it's a great rig and has the best reserve pin protection on the market.

You can check out pics of the latest 2K3 Racer HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've owned a couple of them and they were the comfiest figs I ever owned. The pull out was why I bought the first one and the fit was why I bought the second one. The hassle of finding a rigger who wanted to pack the reserve and the two pin AAD problem finally made me give them up. I'm jumping the Infinity now and really happy with it. It almost hugs your bod like a racer.

Racers:

--You need a 2 pin cypres, and they are not that common if you have a used cypres you want to use.

Yes, but unless you have the old style CYPRES with the hard-wired cutter , it is no problem to swap a two-pin cutter into place; even if you do have the old style, it will be changed over when it goes in for 4 or 8 year service.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Lou, quick question on the pics you linked to. On the pic titled "Finished Product", is that the bridle between the BOC and the right flap or a covering for the bridle?

Otherwise, the 2K3 is a sharp rig. Much improved over what I jump.:)

like bilvon said

....neato rsl
....great design for a 2 pin cutter
....a riggers wet dream
and a few other points of mine
....very economical
....fantastic looking for an 80's flash back
....will make you the hit on the dropzone
....holds it's value for years and years

not edited to add any further sarcasm.

Lou, quick question on the pics you linked to. On the pic titled "Finished Product", is that the bridle between the BOC and the right flap or a covering for the bridle?

Otherwise, the 2K3 is a sharp rig. Much improved over what I jump.:)

The material you're seeing is where the bridle is tucked away into so that nothing is exposed. So ,yes it is a covering of sorts.Several rigs on the market today have the same feature.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I like my racer, but then again, it's my first and only rig.

I don't know if I would buy a new Racer as I haven't seen the new ones, as Jumpshack's website isn't the best. I need to go to a few boogies and check out different rigs....
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

The material you're seeing is where the bridle is tucked away into so that nothing is exposed. So ,yes it is a covering of sorts.Several rigs on the market today have the same feature.

Yea, I've seen it on a few other rigs, That's what I thought it was, just wanted to be sure.

PM Sent....

But for the forums, I have a Brand New 2k3 and I'm thrilled to death with it. I choose it over Mirage, Javelin, Wings, and Vector for a couple of reasons. Like others have commented, there are a lot of Great rigs out there that are safe, FFFriendly, and top-of-the-line, it all boils down to Personal Preference and IMO, Customer service...

Do a search, this has been discussed several times before her, often times with blood & feathers everywhere....:S
=========Shaun ==========

>? Please expand.

Jumpshack is I think the only company that is now telling riggers to pack reservers with rubber bands instead of the Safety Stow. Rubber bands can cause bag lock on mains...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I recently bought a Racer, made in '98. It's has velcro on it, which I thought would be a problem. I haven't gotten to jump it yet (still a student and has no RSL), but my brother took it free flying today and it worked great. I cleaned the velcro, taking all the fuzz out, for a better lock down and plan to keep it that way, replacing it when needed. I also plan to have a rigger install some small walrus teeth on it for a tighter pack. I think it fits like a glove, and I'm 6'1", 180 lbs.

my .02

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

Can you get the freebag with the old/conventional safety stow if requested?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

but my brother took it free flying today and it worked great.

One time in a head down does not mean it works great. It means it worked. I've just seen too many open during radical freeflying. Mods are available for pretty cheap from Jump Shack. I'd recommend that before just adding simple walrus teeth. Nightjumper has the skinny on that one.

I'm not much of a Racer. I'm definately not a fan of the "odd"rsl, in fact I'm apposed to it. I haven't seen the new containers, but the "Speed Bag" reserve free bag doesn't seems like a good Idea.

I can see Lou's point on them fitting small frames.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Jumpshack is I think the only company that is now telling riggers to pack reservers with rubber bands instead of the Safety Stow. Rubber bands can cause bag lock on mains...

If your refering to the speed bag, it is an option that the customer can choose. It's aimed at FFers and speed divers who may deploy their reserves at high speeds. The safety stow is still standard on all Reserve bags unless you ask for the other option.

Can you get the freebag with the old/conventional safety stow if requested?

Yes you can and there is no additional charge for it either. It's like Burger King, you can have it your way;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Rubber bands can cause bag lock on mains...

Shock cord on locking stows have caused baglocks on reserve freebags.

The speed bag main bag and freebag use rubber bands to prevent bag lock. Rubber bands will break under force where shock cord will not. Every stow is a locking stow to prevent bag strip and line dump in high-speed deployments. This system has had a zero failure rate in thousands of jumps. In addition, another manufacture has adopted its own version of a speed bag freebag and another is being tested.

well said, I am not swayed either way: both have their pro & con, I do think on a high spped deployment i'd rather have a speed bag.
Rigs used by fighter pilots have rubberbands and if you have ever seen a deployment followed by an ejection...welll almost off subject
I can just think of cypress fire on a sit.

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER