Tyrion

Urban BASE videos on YouTube maybe not such a good idea...

From http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_044092646.html

Daredevils Jump From Comcast Tower

(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA Philadelphia Police are searching for two daredevils who jumped off of the Comcast Tower Sunday morning.

Home video posted on YouTube.com shows the two as they parachute from the skyscraper, which is currently under construction.

Officials are hoping surveillance video from a nearby bank and the video online will help lead to the capture of the adrenaline seekers.

If caught, police said the two can face charges of criminal trespassing, reckless endangerment and risking a catastrophe.

Once completed, the Comcast Tower will be the tallest building between New York City and Chicago at just under 1,000 feet tall.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Video has since been pulled from YouTube by it's poster.

I remember a time when something like that might earn a guy the old tar and feather treatment. If your going to burn a sight, you might as well do it so that the whole nation knows about it. Fucking dick heads.

Did anyone else have a chance to watch the video before they pulled it down?

The video featured close up face shots of 2 "ground crew" (it looked like their primary purpose was to give high 5's, shout yahoo, direct the attention of on-lookers up to the jumpers, and give commentary for the video), nice video of the (dozens) of cars driving by, and, of course, the memorable lines "these are the baddest dudes you'll ever meet" and "you're gonna know these guys by name."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Did anyone else have a chance to watch the video before they pulled it down?

Yes.

I thought the ground crew did a shitty job with the video camera too.

They could take a lesson from Felix on how to do it the 'proper' way......

Officials are hoping surveillance video from a nearby bank and the video online will help lead to the capture of the adrenaline seekers.

Clueless. :|
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

whatever man, those guys are fucked. have you ever seen CSI? they can figure out anything on them computers. we should make a show, a cross between COPS and Stunt Junkies.

-SPACE-

whatever man, those guys are fucked. have you ever seen CSI? they can figure out anything on them computers. we should make a show, a cross between COPS and Stunt Junkies.

Not exactly where I was going with that. But, I am often misunderstood.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

If caught, police said the two can face charges of criminal trespassing, reckless endangerment and risking a catastrophe

Come on now.... risking a catastrophe? Made me look it up..... What I found was....

§ 3302. Causing or risking catasrophe.
(a) Causing catastrophe.--A person who causes a catastrophe by explosion, fire, flood, avalanche, collapse of building, release of poison gas, radioactive material or other harmful or destructive force or substance, or by any other means of causing potentially widespread injury or damage, including selling, dealing in or otherwise providing licenses or permits to transport hazardous materials in violation of 75 Pa.C.S. Ch. 83 (relating to hazardous materials transportation), commits a felony of the first degree if he does so intentionally or knowingly, or a felony of the second degree if he does so recklessly.

(b) Risking catastrophe.--A person is guilty of a felony of the third degree if he recklessly creates a risk of catastrophe in the employment of fire, explosives or other dangerous means listing in subsection (a) of this section.

Now regardless of how people feel about the video and the jump, doesn't it seem like a witch hunt now-a-days with the police, politicians and law enforcement officials?

Sheesh.....

Who would be stupid enough to actually jump off a building? That's crazy....
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Totally agree; video that widely accessible (way too widely accesible video depicting less than strictly legal activities) is almost always a bad idea and bad exposure, and it's unfortunate that jumpers will keep doing it without ever realizing the consequences until it's too late.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

the landings were shit as well. if this is the new school then i fucking quit.

You have a point. From the seemingly wild canopy control, I was really surprised that neither of them hit anything.

Mind you, we didn't see the landing areas, or the set up, really. So, I think it's tough to pass judgment without context. Maybe they were great landings, considering they had to do things like dodge cars or something. (I sincerely doubt that though, they looked out of control)
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

do athorythies also belive in war,horrow and even love videos they see:S

evryone knows that BASE is fake,thats why there aint much video out there:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

§ 3302. Causing or risking catasrophe.
(a) Causing catastrophe.--A person who causes a catastrophe by explosion, fire, flood, avalanche, collapse of building, release of poison gas, radioactive material or other harmful or destructive force or substance, or by any other means of causing potentially widespread injury or damage, including selling, dealing in or otherwise providing licenses or permits to transport hazardous materials in violation of 75 Pa.C.S. Ch. 83 (relating to hazardous materials transportation), commits a felony of the first degree if he does so intentionally or knowingly, or a felony of the second degree if he does so recklessly.

(b) Risking catastrophe.--A person is guilty of a felony of the third degree if he recklessly creates a risk of catastrophe in the employment of fire, explosives or other dangerous means listing in subsection (a) of this section.

Do you mean this kind of catastrophe? (1,5 Kg of dynamite)
Wellcome to Finland !!
;);)

now some guys finaly understand what nickD trys to say....;)

have anybody ever seen a video of a bankrobbery or any other crime on youtube?

basejumping IS NOT A CRIME...hell yeah
but the officals call it one....
so its stupid to broadcast a"crime"...didnt it?

wake up....:S

Come on now.... risking a catastrophe? Made me look it up..... What I found was....

well, they will insist on charging them with SOMETHING. if it doesn't fit, some politician will propose a new law...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

have anybody ever seen a video of a bankrobbery or any other crime on youtube?

Actually yea, i've seen news clips on how authorities are cracking down on the new 'extreme sport' of kids running head-first through people's picket fences (yea believe it or not its happening alot... its the new craze apparently) because they are all splashing the videos on youtube.

Additionally there are all kinds of high school hazings and other dumb shit that gets videotaped and put on myspace or youtube, and cops are also checking those out and hunting down the people involved.

In fact, even colleges now are going on facebook and looking for photos of kids drinking and then kicking them permanently out of school.

BASE jumpers arent the only douchebags who think it will never come back to them.. maybe for a while it didnt but online videos are now increasingly being used by bored authorities who are sick of eating donuts in their car and waiting for a crime to happen in plain site...

I mean why not? if you are a cop and you have nothing else to do, are falling behind on your monthly quota of speeding tickets and are sick of helping old ladies cross the street, why not go on youtube... within 15 minutes you can find a crime in your neighborhood to pursue! way to go gomer pyle, earn that paycheck! :S
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

I have freinds at princeton doing what is called urban exploring and buildering, hard core shit if youask me (and that is saying something) they put the pics on Facebook and all of them got special visits from popo man.

I mean why not? if you are a cop and you have nothing else to do, are falling behind on your monthly quota of speeding tickets and are sick of helping old ladies cross the street, why not go on youtube... within 15 minutes you can find a crime in your neighborhood to pursue! way to go gomer pyle, earn that paycheck! :S

making an arrest for an essentially victimless crime speaks to the character of the arresting officer, not to mention his boredom index on any given day.

added

"but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

In fact, even colleges now are going on facebook and looking for photos of kids drinking and then kicking them permanently out of school.

I have friends here who have been kicked out of housing because the RHC found partying pictures they posted on facebook.

Nathan
Nathan

I'm pretty sure doing something illegal then posting photographic or video proof on the internet pretty much makes you a retard.

btw I'm retarded

edit: Also, anybody who gets busted by said evidence on the internet and then complains about it is a fucking tool.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

and being a 'fucking tool' is far worse than being a regular tool because it puts you in the same class as vibrators and anal beads.
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Urban BASE videos on YouTube maybe not such a good idea...

NO SHIT!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.