Tornolf

BASE portrayed positively in the news

Very nice! Hope that doesn't get some of the objects burned though... Interesting that a lot of those jumps are in the day too.

Coco

No offense. But why in the hell would you grant a story to local news that shows all of your local and illegal objects?
:S:S

May we live long and die out

Actually, a couple of those bridges are shared by many, and they aren't in Ohio

May we live long and die out

At least I did'nt see your face on there. Saw one object that I know well even if I don't BASE. Saw what I assume is at least one other object we talked about also. :S

Hopefully your local objects don't heat up now. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Positively? Any story that has a lead-in of, "Tri-state BASE jumpers breaking the law and risking their own lives in your backyard..." is hardly good press. Talking about "getting your fix," listing all of your broken bones, showing your scars, and glorifying the death of your mentor is disgusting at best.

As for ethics, they seem to have been discarded just so a few jumpers can see themselves on TV. Some of the footage in this story is the property of jumpers who had no idea it was being used for this purpose, nor were some of the people who appear in the jumping footage asked if they were OK with appearing on the program.

I don't understand the purpose of this. I seriously doubt that the local network affiliate looked Jim and Ben up and asked for an interview. Seems like it was probably the other way around. Not only am I not impressed, I'm very disgusted.

I'm moving to Cininnati on Monday, and it looks like I'll be travelling to do my jumping. What a joke.

That was my initial reaction as well... After reading the thread title, I was expecting to see something that involved showing base jumpers as the cautious, careful, calculating type that most of us are.

Instead it was more along the lines of "Hey everyone in the tri-state area, watch out because these looneys are going to be jumping off of your shit, throwing their lives into the wind just for a thrill. What morons..."

Nice move, guys...

there is no way this segment could give BASE jumpers any positive credit.

this in my opinion is bullsheeit.

keep the tape in your camera, dont give it to the news.

Dont die!

Didn't see anything positive about the portrayal, nor do I see anything positive about bringing so much heat VOLUNTEERLY to your local objects. And aside from showing the already highly pillaged spans, they show at least 2 of the the easily identifialbe objects local to them, and name the counties - WHY ????
Sound like Ben and Jimmy plan to be moving (along with ALL THE OTHER Cinci BASE crew ) out of the area - otherwise I see no reasoning for the clip to be made ...

Really I don't give a shit because I don't live or jump there. It's just this is Pathetically Laughable plus I'm just a fucking ass-hole.
Just listen to the Open Statement of the talking-heads reading there news monitors. In the beginning of the news piece the first sentence sets in concrete to the public watching. The dangerous, reckless Bad-Boy BASE image .
Quote:
"News time breaking report. Tri-Citys BASE jumpers breaking the law and risking there own lives, right in your Back-Yard."
I hope non of those Tri-City's BASE jumpers Go-In from not having the strength to pull there Pilot-Chutes out Because. There Arms must surely be getting pretty tired from Patting themselves on the Back. .....:D
You would think that someone Bragging about having 500 BASE jumps would know better but this is prime example of, Masturbation of BASE EGO.
Ohhhh !, One more fucking thing. That clip of learning everything from your DEAD Mentor. (quote) "Local BASE jumping Legend". All I can say from looking at this is, LEE did not teach you SHIT. You were taught and Learned nothing.
Hey if you really need to be given some validation as to you Tri-City's guys having Arrived as BASE jumpers. What you need to do is just call some of us. or just Post a Thread on DZcom. ( lamely titled) "Hey everyone LOOK at Me." or "Tri-City's BASE jumpers are Rad & Bad" or "Hey I'm big-Jim the New Tri-City's BASE legend," or maybe just post some of that bland Garage Video and everyday run of the mill, BASE footage on your personal BASE web-site.

Maybe I saw a different clip, by I give Jimmy a standing ovation. Its about time time people started handling their own PR. We can't just sit back and wait for the media to do make up shit about us when we can make up bad stories on our own. Jimmy is showing great leadership for the sport by getting the good word about base out to the masses.

Way to go Jimmy! B|

I have to admit I was very surprised to see this. My initial thought was this goes against the base ethics I have for public relations and site management.

I watched this a few more times and I'm now rather torn. I want to ask "What the HEll?" but a side of me wants to say "Fuck yeah." Maybe hiding in the shadows isn't the way to get the sport accepted and to socially evolve. I have a deep seated part of me that is dedicated to protecting my sites and I feel like that is the side that is the most negative about this.
Maybe to broadcast a site was a sacrifice to an experiment. If the authorities know that jumping goes on at that tower, they might be less likely to nail you to the cross if you're caught. They might have a lot lighter attitude and a "you guys are nuts" attitude. Or the flip side is it might bring major heat and higher fences on that site.
The segment itself was not without the "death thirst" thing, with Skypunk being mentioned and a few other quotes. That is what the media does. Typical people have an absolute craving to see death in all forms. I'm of the opinion that if you're ever going to show base jumping on the news, you will have some black death carnage shit in there and that can't be avoided because it's what the public wants. Any reporter can google up 'base jumping death' and get that link and footage of Skypunk.
I remain open minded about this because I've had harsh opinions about things in the past and later I found I was wrong. Maybe we should watch how this plays out instead of shaking our heads and taking sides.

TREE you are wearing Rose Colored Glasses on this one buddy. Because you like all of us. Luv BASE.
I am not quite sure that using the, 5 & 6:00 Clock News is a well thought out vehicle to move the promotion of a positive BASE to the public.
OK first - The News is not the news. It is a syndicated time slot. That must be contractually filled and is guided by ratings and advertisement. It's goal is not to promote anyone's cause in a Good Light. It's Goal is to fill as many seats in front of the Television in there time slot. To watch a Three Ring Circus.
Sometimes being a BASE jumper is more than Hopping a fence and climbing to, quote: (Get Your Fix) And that my friend was the story presented to the public in that piece of journalistic trash.
I got MUCH more respect for BASE jumpers using corporate sponsorship such as Red Bull or Go-Fast, as a moving vehicle for positive promotion. They at least have some small pull as to the outcome of the finished story that is presented to the public.
If you can not be represented by a higher form of (so called) Journalism with some end-control of the BASE story and how it is released and presented to the public. Your to naive to be a BASE representative for all of us. Only a Fucking Idiot would Settle for the lowest common denominator in Journalism called the News. To be your Guiding-Tool & friend to help you manipulate the non-jumping public to look on your BASE jumping cause favorably.
I say Feed the Television News Nothing of BASE and let them starve. Let them scrounge through Dumpsters and Filth to fabricate there twisted form of public entertainment. Don't be a Lackey for Gutter television media.

First of all I wolud like to apologize for the footage of one person used (sub_terminal) this was not supposed to happen as the interview is not about this person. as for the other people they were cool with it.Secondly I was contacted by the news affiliate for an interview and I said what the hell. Thirdly, the show was aired major PRIME TIME about 1230am after 4 hours of womens figure skating,so captivating. As for ethics I have none, Also unbeknownst to the reporter I gave wrong info about what counties and so forth. The lee stuff is there because he was always in the news and the station has like 2 or 3 tapes of him geting arrested and standing on the 32nd floor window sills. He was raising hell in cincy and on tv long before me. I have yet to SELL anything to real tv blah blah blah. Compared to everything else cincy has seen about base this is defenitely good publicity for these parts anyway. Anybody that knows me knows that I,m not a publicity hog just someone who trys to jump a shitload. P.S guess who aquired the gate code for the 900ft freestander seen in the interview, thanks news guy!
Nothing I could do, I totally shit when I fart! -JK

Oh man[:/]
I finally got to watch the link, man that is dissapointing. I never expect to see people I've met that seemed like heads up, "ethical" sensible guys being jackass gloryhounds.WTF were they thinking?
Bummer. My condolences to the rest of the locals.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

To all of you saying jimmy was patting himself on the back and boosting his ego obviously don't know him very well or at all for that matter.

I still think your the man jimmy.B|
BK

I think You might be referring about what I stated in my posts. I am not saying he is a bad guy or no fun to jump with or an un-safe BASE jumper.Most likely he is a kick in the ass to jump with. Just like most everyone else who BASE jumps in the world.
Also the Breaking News Story, as it was introduced in the Vid. really does not effect me all that much because I am not the one who has to try to BASE jump while living there. Basically ( I Think ) you are feeding ammunition to ( Them ) to use against you. And -Them- only see BASE as 4-letters of the alphabet.
It is a pretty fair Bet to say that -Them- Don't like BASE jumping. Them- Don't understands BASE jumping. Them- Don't look at BASE jumping as a Sport. -Them- are also in the mind set that they know what is good for you and how you should conduct your life. I think -THEM- also Outnumber You.
So lets talk about your BASE area. The post refers to, Cincinnati. So the population of Cincinnati City is what ? I think it is listed as around (300-thousand +) Not counting the surrounding areas. I don't know the Number Population that News Broadcast was televised to or how many watched it. The number of local active BASE jumpers is what? - 20 ? lets say 50 ? Hell that # is Not even looked at like a Struggling Minority. I think it's pretty safe to say that when you are looked at by -Them- it's as Vandals (AKA - Petty Criminals) Because from the footage I saw it look and sounded like. Trespassing, Risk of personal health. also mentioned several times in the Vid.were the words. Against the Law. & Breaking the Law & Illegal.
So those of you actively BASE jumping in Cincinnati. You keep on laughing, playing around and have a good time.

Pha-Q all of "Them". The Cincy Crew jumped last night at 8PM. Other than running into a few reporters on the first catwalk the coast was clear. We like our sites smokin' hot on those cold February DAYS!