cesslon

Be carefull low pulling over water

I remember DJ & I doing a 2-way and we kind of got into a low-puller-ego thing once in Freefall.
Dwain was on the boat watching and in transit to pick us up both up on the water jumps. Don started to go towards me instead of DJ because I was the closest to the boat.
Dwain jumped up, he was seriously Furious and he started Screaming Angrily . " Noooooo Stop ! "
"Don't you Dare pick-up The Dirty High Puller First !"
So, I was picked up last ...........:D fun times
edit to add:
tvpb:
...." people who have mischievous grins "
Ohhhh that reminds me also. That SMIRK, that little fucker had. It was WAY more than Mischievous or evil and one of a kind..
I will never forget. I had a (impact) one night. So I came crawling and limping in to the hotel some hours latter. He was standing right there like he had been patiently waiting there the whole time after he got the word that I got smacked-up.
I saw him just standing & looking at me and he was just grinning. So I snapped, "What the fuck you looking at ?" He didn't say anything. He just stood there with that Grinch, Smirk on his face and never answered.

Use a slider up square in preference to a round.

Pffff, what a bunch of pussies...

Real men jump a square slider down and time their opening such that the hard opening of the no-slider is perfectly cancelled out by the smack into the water, resulting in a smooth and soft landing.

The window in which this works is very small though, so I recommend using a particular type of ZP for your pilotchutes to ensure success.

Reminds me of the first friend I lost due to jumping, I was about 8-9 years old and me and some friends was bridgejumping, have some problems with dark black moving water ever sense ...

On the other hand, I have seen Tom's scars ... scary!

a conversation with Tom

Me: Why is I'm carrying the beer, I have broken my back
Tom: Me too
Me: I broken it twice
Silence
Me: I been dead once
Me: Well how old are you?
Tom: 33
Me: Sh*t!
Tom: That's why you carry the beer ...
Me: Ok

Funny stuff ...

PerFlare
Team Bautasten

I grew up jumping off a 10m platform at my local lake, thought I was pretty aware of risk factors. Progressed to cliff diving during a summer in Greece up to about 15m, hurt the odd time if you got it wrong but nothing serious.

Then a few years ago after a scuba dive I took all my scuba gear off other than my wetsuit and hoodie, figured I could do whatever I liked off a pier about 3m high because of all the protection. Did a somersault into a dive but didn't quite make the dive, hit the water face first (only unprotected part of my body). Holy shit water is hard at that speed. Anyway sitting in the pub downing Guiness a few hours later the guys couldn't stop laughing at the big red puffy swollen face I was sporting. I also had a very sore neck for a few days.

I reckon I was very close to doing some serious damage if the pier was a meter higher. Hate to think what a somersault gone wrong off a 10m platform would be like.

All the same, it was almost worth it for the scene of exploding laughter from the pier on hearing the slap of my face off the Atlantic ;-)

be sure to close ya eyes,
I did a front flip off a 1m spring board, eyes half open water smashed in lol.
so now always clothes my eyes for impact

It's easyier than most people think...I dived as a kid and threw highschool...if you dont know how to recover ...you can seriously get hurt. I also wakeboard and people get knocked out and drown....i have seen stars and been sore from falls that you would not suspect would be so bad. There is a way to recover a bad high dive by going into a pike position...with your feet and hands entering the water first and you break the water to lessen the force. But make sure your head is tucked down between your arms or you will have a permanent smile for a week or so....:o

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

From a statistical analysis of Emergency Room visits, LD50 is 90 feet over water and 30 feet over concrete. This is an average for the population as a whole without consideration for how the person fell. LD50 means Life or Death at 50% odds.
Just for clarification, LD50 would be translated as:
Lethal Dose 50, meaning at this dosage (whatever that specific dose would be listed as) of ________(whatever the study material would be) 50% of those who (normally and most specifically lab rats) participated in the study died.

Although your tranlation means nearly the same thing.;)

I grew up jumping off a 10m platform at my local lake, thought I was pretty aware of risk factors. Progressed to cliff diving during a summer in Greece up to about 15m, hurt the odd time if you got it wrong but nothing serious.

Then a few years ago after a scuba dive I took all my scuba gear off other than my wetsuit and hoodie, figured I could do whatever I liked off a pier about 3m high because of all the protection. Did a somersault into a dive but didn't quite make the dive, hit the water face first (only unprotected part of my body). Holy shit water is hard at that speed. Anyway sitting in the pub downing Guiness a few hours later the guys couldn't stop laughing at the big red puffy swollen face I was sporting. I also had a very sore neck for a few days.

I reckon I was very close to doing some serious damage if the pier was a meter higher. Hate to think what a somersault gone wrong off a 10m platform would be like.

All the same, it was almost worth it for the scene of exploding laughter from the pier on hearing the slap of my face off the Atlantic ;-)

I used to do springboard diving when I was younger, and I quickly learned that an excellent idea when trying new things is to wear a pair of my soccer warmup pants and a hooded sweatshirt :D
cavete terrae.

tom would this be kinda what happend to your colon?

Yep. I know a couple of people who've had the same kind of experiences to a lesser degree. Several jumpers have hit hard and ended up with high speed enemas.

Geez, I wonder how close I was to serious injury.

Back in high school me and my friends used to jump feet first off of a 35 ft bridge. It was fairly painless if you hit right. Everybody wanted to do the larger 75 ft bridge but nobody had the balls. I promised my friend if he went first and yelled back up that he was ok, I'd follow. I hit perfectly feet first, but two things hurt bad for about 5 minutes - the soles of my feet (I never pointed my toes) and I also got the "enema" pain you refer to. Another friend followed me, and while I was still reeling in pain from the experience, he entered the water, and broke the surface 10 seconds later screaming "THE WATER RAPED ME!" :D

I was a geek (heh, "was") and had just taken my first physics class so I calculated that we were going roughly 33mph off the small bridge, and 45mph off the large bridge, on impact. The impact felt significantly harder at only 12mph greater (kinetic energy and all). I can imagine 80mph would be near deadly.

For clarification Tom, how did you get scars? From the surgery for your spine?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've seen it both ways. Life or Death was quoted to me by an ER physician (who actually graduated first in his medical school!) who came out on my first BASE jump at a BASE boogie.

My understanding from people who've hit the water successfully at high speed have (including the military doing drops from helicoptors):
bring feet and knees together, point toes (some do, some do not), bring arms in (to prevent breaking them, the torque is on the elbows), pull head back slightly to prevent water surge under eyelids and subsequent eye damage.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Wait Per, didn't you each decide to carry one? That was one of the funniest conversations I've ever heard.

I also liked your story about why car crashes are "very nice":ph34r: oh man...

I calculated that we were going roughly 33mph off the small bridge, and 45mph off the large bridge, on impact. The impact felt significantly harder at only 12mph greater (kinetic energy and all).

This surprising nonlinearity is similar to that of slider down openings: the hardness of the opening is not proportional to delay (where delay = time from jump to line stretch), but to the cube of it.

Kinetic energy is proportional to the square of speed, and the amount of time it takes to dissipate that energy is reversely proportional to speed (as the characteristic time it takes to displace water/air masses is equal to characteristic length -- of your body for water jumps or of the parachute for BASE -- divided by speed). The damage to your body is determined by the rate of dissipation of energy. So, for 4s delay (pull at 3s, plus ~1s for line stretch) the opening is approx. 8 times harder than for 2s delay (pull at 0.5s + 1.5s for line stretch).

When we deal with something we have never experienced before, our intuition tends to extrapolate prior experiences linearly, while it may be in fact highly nonlinear (another example of this - discussion of the safe height to clear platform on antenna not long ago). Elementary physics oftentimes can save an ouch or two. ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I am a couple of years younger then Tom

its hard to be older than Tom,Ray L. Nick DG etc etc:P:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It never ceases to amaze me...

Every time I have a BASE video playing in the background when I have friends over, someone comments that "I'd do that" when they see people jumping the bridge in Twin Falls over water. Their justification is always that you couldn't possibly die.

To make their beliefs even more idiotic, most of them have witnessed first hand what water can do when seeing me get injured bailing off wakeboards, kneeboards, skis, and waverunners at high speed :S

For clarification Tom, how did you get scars? From the surgery for your spine?

The scars were mostly from the surgery for my intestines.

The spine surgery wasn't done in a "must go now to save his life" kind of way, so the scars are pretty small.

However, when I hit the water, my colon pretty much exploded, filling my abdominal cavity with both fecal matter (my own) and relatively unsanitary river water (forced in at high speed). The danger of infection from these was extremely high. I was on antibiotics for quite a long time, and was suffering from high fever due to that infection for more than 2 weeks. I was also bleeding to death from the tears.

This meant that the intestinal surgery, both to stop the bleeding and to clean the contaminants out of my abdominal cavity, was done in a "must go now to save his life" kind of way. The surgeons (who were excellent, and who deserve full credit for saving my life) were more concerned with stopping the bleeding and cleaning up than they were with making pretty incisions. As a result, they left me with some fairly noticeable scars, which I think is a pretty fair trade for saving my life.

If you're ever in need of emergency trauma surgery in Idaho, I recommend Drs. Robert Korn and Elizabeth Livingston. If you need Spine Surgery, I recommend Dr. Paul Monalbano, who is pretty much responsible for my continued ability to walk.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

some people also think the cant drown if they wear a life west...
they can if they dont wear it probaly

some people think its ok to dry their pets in a micro oven,the pets usaly dont like that...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Chad!

Hope you are having fun over there. Looking forward to hook up again in the future! Give my best to Katie.

Have the best of times and stay alive!

PerFlare

its hard to be older than Tom,Ray L. Nick DG etc etc:P:ph34r:

I will correct your English if you don't mind: its hard to be fatter than Tom.

bsbd!

Yuri.

I will correct your English if you don't mind: its hard to be fatter than Tom.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Hmmm...I think he's pretty damn hot :ph34r:

Sonofabitch I lay-off giving you shit for a couple weeks punk. Look what happens. You think I am your whipping boy for comment.

Hmmm...I think he's pretty damn hot :ph34r:

I've been told "chicks dig scars."
coincidence?

(oh, good work on that whole delivery thing!)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse