cesslon

Be carefull low pulling over water

Hi all,

As everyone would know if ya hit water to hard you break,

anyway was at a pool the other day and the 10metre platform was shut to the general public, as some guy hit the water wrong off it and died lol

so if anyone plans on pulling low and thinking the speed they will hit the water at will be just like jumping off a 10metre platform then be carefull of your body position when you impact with the water.

the d00d who died suffered from some internal injuries, he went to hospital and died, not sure how long he was there for before death, all I know is he was over weight and landed on his stomach of back(confirmed)

I also heard (rumour) that he wasn't mentally all there and all the kids yelled "do a front flip" and he ended up doing a belly flop

I was quite suprised to learn ya can die from 10 metre's into water. I was standing inline waiting to jump next to a nurse who worked at the hospital in emergency care

Hi Tom

I once read a little on your accident,
Your chute hardly inflated at all didn't it ?

your jump from what I read sounded more like you jumped from the ful 486 feet
did your canopy slow you down much ?

also do ya wanna give a little explanation of your accident on here for the people who don't know it like my self

He died jumping off 10 meters? How's that possible? I'v been jumping higher than that off rocks right in the sea and nothing happened (had really sore balls though).
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

the ful 486 metre's

I wish...

hi dexter,
I made a typo/braino, meant to type feet

He died jumping off 10 meters? How's that possible? I'v been jumping higher than that off rocks right in the sea and nothing happened (had really sore balls though).

do you land feet first?
or do you do belly flops ?

landing on your back at 1 metre is enough for me to feel the pain lol

You want to see the scars?

A low pull over water put me in the hospital for 2 months.

I wanna see... what happened?
I'm actually interested... glad you're ok. I take it it was awhile ago?

Jen
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

You want to see the scars?

A low pull over water put me in the hospital for 2 months.

I wanna see... what happened?
I'm actually interested... glad you're ok. I take it it was awhile ago?

Jen

Jen I don't know much about it
but I have a feeling it was around 2000 and he had 13 operations to fix him self up

Wow.
Like you said.. you always think water is so safe. I obviously know it can hurt ya.... I think that this is an interesting thread to help people understand that it's not as safe as it makes you 'feel'
Jen

do you land feet first?
or do you do belly flops ?

landing on your back at 1 metre is enough for me to feel the pain lol

Ok good point!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

It doesn't take much height, just the wrong entry into the water.I had a realtive die from about the same height. He was trying to do flips and landed on his side. It broke his neck and he drowned. Imagine the fetal position that a lot of us sleep in(especiallybase704):P Assume that positon when you enter the water and your head and neck might not be able to take it. Body postion is more relevant than height.

Mike

May we live long and die out

From a statistical analysis of Emergency Room visits, LD50 is 90 feet over water and 30 feet over concrete. This is an average for the population as a whole without consideration for how the person fell. LD50 means Life or Death at 50% odds.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

what happened?

the trouble all started when Dutch Gold was teaching Tom how to BASE jump. You see Dutchie has this new pilot chute paching method.....

;)

From a statistical analysis of Emergency Room visits, LD50 is 90 feet over water and 30 feet over concrete. This is an average for the population as a whole without consideration for how the person fell. LD50 means Life or Death at 50% odds.

w0w, I would have thought 90% would die from 30 feet onto concrete,
I don't think I'd want to survive that fall

w0w, I would have thought 90% would die from 30 feet onto concrete, I don't think I'd want to survive that fall

"Life" includes quadriplegia, double femur fractures, critical brain injury, persistent vegetative state...

You get the idea.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

w0w, I would have thought 90% would die from 30 feet onto concrete, I don't think I'd want to survive that fall

"Life" includes quadriplegia, double femur fractures, critical brain injury, persistent vegetative state...

You get the idea.

yup hence the reason I said "I don't think I'd want to survive that fall"

You can see the full story of my accident, including nifty animated graphics of my colon exploding, here. I'm not sure when the next time it will air is, but they seem to re-run the whole series pretty reguarly.

Short description: I lost altitude awareness and pulled too low over water. I reached line stretch and was stood up, but had less than half of my (round) canopy inflated, meaning that the total deceleration effect was very limited. I ended up with a bunch of internal injuries, and a fairly serious set of spinal fractures. It took a lot of surgery to get me back together, and I'll never be completely back to where I was before the accident, in a physical sense.

If you're ever in Twin Falls, you can come by and I'll show you the video.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

out of all the jumps I've done into water only one really hurt me.

I jumped off only about 7 metre's and hit the water and for some reason this time water shot up my ass hole
and its hurt like freaking $hit, I thought I was gunna die, I was in agony,
then after about 5 minutes, I was 100% back to normal and never felt like I had even hurt my ass at all lol

tom would this be kinda what happend to your colon?

tom would this be kinda what happend to your colon?

Yep. I know a couple of people who've had the same kind of experiences to a lesser degree. Several jumpers have hit hard and ended up with high speed enemas.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think Tom made the mistake of trying to outdo that little blond Aussie. He has learnt a lot since then. ;)

I did a low pull comp with him years ago (into water) and was very proud to walk away with my silver medal!!!!

We did a series of jumps where we went lower and lower until we reached our limit.

Each time, DW would do the exit count, and then leave a fraction of a second later so he could watch my p/c toss. Then he would pitch his p/c after me to claim the "victory". On the final jump, I smacked in with my slider arriving on impact and my body half way through the swing through. I was bruised up but I happy with my win. But when I stuck my head out of the water I heard a sordid moan from the distance. DW was lying in pain in the water with a mild case of concussion. The cheeky bugger had beaten me again. Hence my silver medal. ;)

Learnings:
- don't do low pull comps with people who have mischievous grins and a habit of exiting just after you. Keep away from evil people and people with death wishes. Anyone who want to teach you surfing at a place called Dead Man's Reef is probably not a good opponent either. They probably have ulterior motives - their entertainment at your expense may be one of them!!! ;)
- swing through is not the greatest time to impact the water. Time your opening.
- I recommend not doing it in the first place. But if you must:
- use a bigger p/c to get maximum drag asap. Who cares if you get centre cell stripping or weird pressurisations.
- make sure your deployment system is dry. Wet p/c get sticky and don't work as realiably and consistantly as dry ones. Consistancy is the key equipment factor. You need to have a system that is reliable and repeatable, otherwise you are playing Russian Roulette with mother earth.
- there is lots of turbulence around waterfalls. The greater the volume and denser the water, the greater the displacement of air particles, etc.
- broken water is better than still/flat water. Surface tension adds to the "hardness" of the water.
- etc.

Gotta go.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Jen.. wuTs up? how r u guys doing down there in tehas?

Ren-Hey, we're doing great down here... enjoying the warm weather. Up to the usual business of course. How are you?

Several jumpers have hit hard and ended up with high speed enemas.

Ugh... yeah, I had a similar experience from a water-skiing fall. Ouch!!! :oB|

Oh and Tom, I'll have to see the vid from you someday, somewhere... I don't have cable tv :P
Glad ya made it through it though, of course :)

Learnings:
- don't do low pull comps with people who have mischievous grins and a habit of exiting just after you. Keep away from evil people and people with death wishes. Anyone who want to teach you surfing at a place called Dead Man's Reef is probably not a good opponent either. They probably have ulterior motives - their entertainment at your expense may be one of them!!! ;)
- swing through is not the greatest time to impact the water. Time your opening.
- I recommend not doing it in the first place. But if you must:
- use a bigger p/c to get maximum drag asap. Who cares if you get centre cell stripping or weird pressurisations.
- make sure your deployment system is dry. Wet p/c get sticky and don't work as realiably and consistantly as dry ones. Consistancy is the key equipment factor. You need to have a system that is reliable and repeatable, otherwise you are playing Russian Roulette with mother earth.
- there is lots of turbulence around waterfalls. The greater the volume and denser the water, the greater the displacement of air particles, etc.
- broken water is better than still/flat water. Surface tension adds to the "hardness" of the water.

Let me add:

Use a slider up square in preference to a round. A slider up square begins decelerating you as soon as it reaches line stretch, and slows you while the slider descends. A round requires full pressurization prior to slowing you. If you impact immediately after a slider up square is at line stretch, odds are you will walk away a hero. Impact immediately after a round reaches line stretch, and you'll be carried away.

The time it takes for the slider to descend is your "safety margin." If you hit with the slider 3/4 of the way down, everyone will still think you are really cool.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

some guy hit the water wrong off it and died lol

:|
I really don't know what I'm talking about.