base509

WANKERS

Just another false classification and labeling of a BASE jumper.

Only false because I forgot a label...

• The Ray - Hardcore underground jumper who likes to keep things simple and use techniques proven over time. Also randomly sprinkles uppercase letters through his sentences...

Just fuckin' with ya. If we can't be full of shit on the boards, where can we be... ;)

Hello Ray,

Happy New Year.

I miss the old Portland crew.
    They all died with BASE #'s.

God bless you.

Avery
    BASE396
    ==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

..."I miss the old Portland crew.
    They all died with BASE."
    -

Hey, Avery how ya been & happy new-year to you also.
    To tell you the truth I really don't ever ask jumpers what there BASE #'s are. Dude I really have a hard time even remembering who or what face is connected to What BASE-#. -All my friends- I just call them by whatever Name they are going by. If a BASE jumper wants to go by a random number that is issued them. Rather than a name made out of Letters of the Alphabet. That's cool to......:P
    Hey I got an Idea ! What we need is some sort of Directory. You know. Kind of like the Phone Book. A name and a number together. That all BASE jumpers have delivered & thrown out of a car window to there Front Door of the house. once a year the way the phone books are distributed here in the States.

well... base number... they are just numbers, right? it is some fun for some of us, and some don't care.

does it say something about you ability? no. does it say something about your behaviour/mental status/ethics? no. does it have ANY significance: NO.

oh well, wait.

actually, it does. in a country far, far away from the US - they call it "Italia" and shout "Mucho Base" at the exit points - you NEED a base number(if you do not want to jump alone). try take a look at the italian section of the "base board". they do not use names. in this country, you need a number, otherwise they will not talk to you. even on the phone and sometimes at the exit point you are referred to by your number - BASE number, that is. so about 3 years after I finally got my B I applied for the number so I could go play with the boys around here.

Ragazzi, #996 sta scherzando, non mi capire male, p.f.!

Mucho BASE
    flummi
    * Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *

You are a Parasite and a Thief for daring to BASE jump without a BASE-#.

This goes straight into the nuggets :P

I will quote you as often as i can.

bsbd!

Yuri.

They all died with BASE #'s.

Clearly, the key to survival is not to get a BASE number. :D

Hey Ray, does DJ have a BASE number?
    -- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
    SnakeRiverBASE.com

I cant belive you get off bashing BASE#´s like that as i rember some screams from the "public" last time i did the same..

but hey im not american,im not Ray L(the known guy whith out a BASE#,but a dirrection to a great place for breakfast´s) :ph34r::D

buuu huuu:ph34r:

Ray i know you dont get what i write as i write like sh!t and you read like sh!t ,just to say that i agree whith you;):ph34r:

Thanks for letting me farth at your exitpoint leaving Chad and Kaitie behind:):ph34r:

Stay safe
    Stefan Faber

..."Hey Ray, does DJ have a BASE number? "
    ----------

WOW ! ????, you caught me at a LOSS here. I have ran with that guy and BASE jumped on 3 different Continents with him for 7 years.
    I do not KNOW. I Have NEVER asked ?
    (let me find out) I will call him and wake him out of bed right now and ask him.

Hey Flummi. Long toime No see.
    flummi:
    ..."actually, it does. in a country far, far away from the US - they call it "Italia" and shout "Mucho Base" at the exit points - you NEED a base number(if you do not want to jump alone). try take a look at the italian section of the "base board". they do not use names."

They do NOT use names ? never even call each other by there Name ?
    That is Hard Core....:S
    Do the Italians BASE jumpers just put there BASE-# on there Tomb Stones when they Crater-in the Dirt also ?

Yo Ray, since the Seattle crew doesn't want to jump with me anymore (hint, hint, screw the rain let's jump guys!) can I join the PDX crew?

Will you guys take me? I heard there's a few open slots, you know, with everyone being on vacation and all...

Will you guys take me? I heard there's a few open slots, you know, with everyone being on vacation and all...

And without your number, you'll fit right in!

Hi Ray,

... regarding the tombstones: italian base jumpers are SO HARDCORE, they simply don't die. So I could not tell you...

For the rest, you better have you number. you can also invent one yourself (like RayLosliBase#1 or so), you might get away with it. ;)
    flummi
    * Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *

To add to my own post; I wonder what kind of ages we can discern in BASE.

• 1 to 200 - The Invention. The guys that started it. Rolled the dice much more than today and became true next door neighbours with death.

• 200 to 850 - The Passion. The guys that saw an underground thing happening and realized this adventure could satisfy a craving no other thing could. Still respectful to their forefathers and the inventors, their ways of the Parachute were similar to the ways of the Samurai.

• 850 to today - The Explosion. The people that realized that BASE has become something you can practice safely in exchange for mere money. You can buy the BASE experience and have a significant chance of survival.

Warning, these are just random guesses and we can all argue the ranges should be different. Furthermore, each range has many jumpers that would equally belong in a different range. Even today there are plenty of inventors and samurais. Not to mention that certain subdisciplines in BASE have their own ranges and phases, take aerials and wingsuiting for example. Especially the latter could be considered in the invention stage still...

Damn, I'm so full of shit that sometimes I wonder if I should be banned permanently for that reason alone...

• I was just born too late;)
    ~J
    "One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
    "There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

BASE numbers are a novelty at best. They tell nothing of the jumper's experience. I don't have one, and have been qualified for one for over four years. If I got one now, I'd end up somewhere between 1000 and 1100, right? I have a good number of jumps from objects all over the world and some insane one in a billion experiences. The last thing I need is BASE 1089 (random number) or BASE 519 (also random number) putting my experiences beneath theirs simply because I have a higher number.

BASE numbers are a novelty at best. They tell nothing of the jumper's experience. I don't have one, and have been qualified for one for over four years. If I got one now, I'd end up somewhere between 1000 and 1100, right? I have a good number of jumps from objects all over the world and some insane one in a billion experiences. The last thing I need is BASE 1089 (random number) or BASE 519 (also random number) putting my experiences beneath theirs simply because I have a higher number.

You're right about the novelty of having a number. I woulda been well below 100 but got turned away from the Captain and then took the next 18 years off. I had given BASE up but after climbing some of these amazing sites decided that I had to jump off one coincidently getting my number. I don't feel bad for doing it I just regret not doing it back in the 80's... I enjoy the novelty.

Did almost the same thing with my USPA D#. Didn't log for years and had to have a D to be on a record big-way. Mad scramble to take the test and dust off old logs before the attempt.

Kinda like Stanley Hannon says... Tires, Tires, Tires. Don't make ya smell better. Don't make ya look better. But you gotta have 'em.

Hey Tom, you could be on to something there.
    DJ, finally (that prick) returned my phone call from this morning. Informing me that he never got any BASE-# either.
    You think you know somebody & jump with them for years. Then they Drop a Bomb-Shell like that on you. What a piece of Crap he is.....:(
    But Wait !
    Hey maybe ( DJ ) has had the right Idea all along. No Numbers but Just using Letters of the alphabet for - Elite BASE Identification.

(sorry) I kind of thought you were joking. Why the hell would you do that ?
    If you move down here. No Vacation excuses used for you. We will just Plain and simple tell everyone in Advance that.
    We gona end up Killin You. .....:P
    (dude this 3-weeks of solid Rain) we are having so far. Is killing me.

J C Avery (oops, apologies for the blasphemy). :$

Can't you write a few more words in your posts.

I want a war and peace version of your philosophy. ;)

Yep, me miss too. Will see DW's mum this month as well as SS's.

- - - -

Crikey Ray. You are on your anto-globalisation high horse again huh. Before you know it, the BASE member ship cards will come with tracking devices so that the authorities will know if you are ever approaching a questionable BASE site. That way they can wait at the front gate, hit you up with a few taxes (I mean fines), then ruin your arse in a dodgy prison cell with Bubba Butt.

- - - -

I now have an identity crisis. What do you call it/me when I have jumped off Buidlings, Antennas, Spans, and Earth? Don't be rude... ;)

Clearly, the key to survival is not to get a BASE number.

I think you may be incorrect Mr Tom. It seems that there is a direct statistical correlation between being an ABA official (esp Pres) or a close ally, and the afterlife. I have already warned Gary C. BTW - your sense of humour is a bit too Oz!!!!!! Someone might get a bit sensitive if you keep that up. Short straws anyone?

I heard there's a few open slots, you know, with everyone being on vacation and all...

This morbid sense of humour is catching. :D

i know you dont get what i write as i write like sh!t and you read like sh!t

Classic quote!!!!!! or Nugget!!!!! Onya Mr Faber. Sadly, I understand both of you. Is there something wrong with me???

DJ, finally (that prick) returned my phone call from this morning. Informing me that he never got any BASE-# either. You think you know somebody & jump with them for years. Then they Drop a Bomb-Shell like that on you. What a piece of Crap he is.....

Ray - can I suggest. . . . . . sending in an application on his behalf!!!!!:ph34r: We did that to an old CRW dog who took us up on our first bigger ways. We made sure that we got a lower number than him and rubbed that in. He was already a World 8 Way CRW Champion and felt he did not need a number to validate him, so we got it for him. You should have seen his face when we presented the certificate to him in front of a larger audience. Priceless!!!!
    Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Thats funny Jon, I did the same thing. Statistically A license holders were the least likely to go in, so I decided not to get a B, C or D. Then in 2001 or 02, the Ranch made me get on to the the pond swoop comp. I still use my A number though cause I can't remember my D.

610, the wanker formally known as Tree, aka Mark

(dude this 3-weeks of solid Rain) we are having so far. Is killing me.

psst drink some oil,your old and rusty.. oil will make you good..;)

Stay safe
    Stefan Faber

TVPB:
    ..."BTW - your sense of humor is a bit too Oz !!!!!! "
    ---------

pre-apologies-(Sorry Tom)
    Telling Tom his Humor resembles Oz like humor ? You mean what ?
    Dry and Bland with just a Hint of slap/Jab or Back-Hand Complement ?......;)
    (now back to looking over my shoulder) to see if anyone is Following.

> ...
    > Night BASE 123
    > ...
    Guess what....?!?!?!?!?
    I am Night BASE #124 :D
    Stay safe out there
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Hey guys and Japp. This is Rick H not Joy even though Mr. Aiello's son's website insists on calling me Joy even though I post from my Cliffleaper e mail. Sorry Tom, it's my fault since I probably screwed up the first time I registered.
    Anyway, CONGRATS to Japp Suter, you summed up the relevance of the numbers pretty well. Mr. Liosi on the other hand, sorry Ray, seems to imply that us "Givers of the Numbers" somehow are the perpetuators of this ridiculous myth that a BASE number or even an earlier BASE number means your a better jumper. We all know that's crazy and I promise, Carl Boenish, Phil Smith and a all of my early BASE jump frinds never even hinted at that meaning. From this post, it seems that good old Ray is the only one seeming to perpetuate the myth that the numbers have anything to do with superiority. Sorry Ray since I don't mean to imply some personal insecurity problem??? Sorry buddy, I'm just f--king w/ ya. I like the fact that some of your posts are great examples of throwing hand grenades into the crowd to enjoy the reaction.

BASE started to catch on with some experienced jumpers partly to get away from the politics hitting the DZ's in the 70's and we would never imply a quality pecking order. Date was the only logical way to issue the numbers in 1981 with only a handful worldwide. As famous as Carl Boenish already was, even when BASE began, he would ALWAYs listen in awe to anyone's first BASE jump story and he always gave the same crazy grin and monotone OOOOO! Anyone who had the guts to throw themselves off of all 4 objects in those days got the full measure of respect since it was the danger and fear that first set BASE apart from every other sport, even skydiving, not how many gainers you could do. We were a close knit communtiy spiritually even if 2 people didn't like each other personally. It's still a great fraternity, but it's not quite the same today wtih thousands of folks doing BASE jumps worldwide.
    BUT, Mr. Japp S is right. People that were either dumb or crazy enough to throw themselves off of a building back in the first year of the sport of BASE certainly were the kind of people who seemed to get a huge kick out of looking the reaper in the eye and saying, "I dare you! Skydiving had lost that rush or just wasn't enough. From that standpoint, it is relevant if you experienced all 4 different objects 24 years ago, you had to have a certain psycology that maybe isn't quite as necessary today with so many proven methods and gear. Only thing I want to add to Japp's message about how much crazier and closer to death we were in those days. We had shity gear for BASE, we had no history of what worked best for BASE, but what nearly all of the first 100 or at least the first 50 BASE jumpers had was an average of over 10 prior years and 1000 jumps skydiving. That was a lot of experience and air time in those days. Hell, Carl had approaching 2000 jumps before his first BASE jump. My twin bro Randy and I had 1200 to 1500 about the time of our first Building New Years night 1982. With the gear we had then, we were all lucky we had a lot of skydiving since it gave us a base to figure things out and to invent ways to improve our chances. I think that's why most of us survived, we could react to a screw up using instinct without taking time to think about it.
    Anyway, we really love keeping the numbers and I am still very proud to be the last elected Director of the old USBA after Carl died. Joy promises to keep doing most of the work to issue numbers so long as there is still enough jumpers who feel they want to have a direct connection to the original BASE numbers that began with our old buddy Phil S who got #1 in 1981.
    Also, it ain't just American. We get as many letterws from outside the US, as inside and plenty of non english speaking folks. It was always Carl's meaning that this was a worldwide honor to jump all 4 objects and like the back of the card says:

"The USBA was founded in 1981 and dedicated to the safety and positive public image of BASE jumpers and BASE jumping throughout the world."

So yes, I'm proud to be a BASE jumper and I like to be able to tell people that I started BASE during the first year BASE 1 was issueed. Even though I started BASE 24 years ago and still jump a few towers and cliffs, I'm by far not as skilled in aerials as most of todays active BASE jumpers. My brother and I were just crazy relative workers who craved more of a rush and happened to be born a couple decades before most of you. Keep it up and Joy and I love these posts since the very controversy shows the numbers still have a lot of worldwide significance. Here's to all my BASE brothers and sisters, number or not, we're all the same at that magic second on the edge aren't we?
    Joy says just keep those cards and letters coming in. I love the stories.
    Rick Harrison
    Since we're into numbers,
    BASE 38
    Night BASE 13
    Train BASE 5 (Also called HOBO BASE by Phil Smith)
    Night Half Dome 2
    TWOP jump #1. (ASK AIELLO what a TWOP jump is.)
    D-3736
    NSCR 634
    Finally, Freak Brother #97.