Johnnyb

Tasting the Rock...

So, once on a while some guy called Murphy comes knocking on my shoulder and wants to talk with me. I try to shake him off, but he doesn't seem to be giving up. Then, around each 100th jump i see something completly new and this time is was a lot of rock and way to close...

Me and some friend went for a semi-local E, nothing spesial except it must be 9 months since my last Slider down (ah, it's called Norway people...)
Did a clean 2 sec delay, and then boom and a clean 180 opening. A long story short (those of you who has been in simular situations know abot the 1000 thoughts running trough your brain, and it is not your life but a stack off solutions to the emerging problem)

Enough said; enjoy but not for the fainth of heart :S

http://onheading.com/media/base/tasting_the_rock.wmv

Jesus. Nice work. This is why (and I'm sure this will open a whole can or worms, especially since I don't even jump yet) I have no interest in subterminal short delay jumps (certain exceptions - spans, windy towers, etc). I want to get FAR from those objects.

And the question of the day: what was the total damage?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Wow bro! That really sucked! Glad your ok! Your totally right though, “never give up.”

I would like to bring up one thing about the jump. And by saying this I mean no disrespect and am not trying to bash on you in any way especially with the fact that I am a Newbie in BASE; but may I ask (to bring the debate back up) why did you go for toggles? Would this not have been one of the key times where risers would have been more benificial? Despite that, obviously you were very close to the wall and an object strike may still not have been avoided whether using risers or toggles. You also did say this was your first slider down in some time so did you have the muscle memory of going to toggles due to where you normal jump.

Once again, I’m not trying to be “Mr. Know it all”, just curious to see what you and other think.

Coco

Get your risers next time, not your toggles when in imminent danger of a wall strike, especially with so much available altitude. wall strikes are notorious for fatal or extremely severe injuries, or may result in bad damage to your canopy which can kill or injure yourself on the landing zone or nonzone. i think i have a run-on sentence or two, but the thought has been expressed nonetheless.

by the way, i'm glad you pulled it off and that you're still here and not on the list!
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Congrats, great work!
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Nothing broken, or am I blind? Anyway, nicely done. The riser thing has been noted already -- my personal preference is for hauling down on the both of them. Priority 1 - don't hit the object. Priority 2 - Turn the canopy away from it.

I prefer limestone, myself. It's got a tangy aftertaste... ;)

Wow. Nice work. I don't think anyone could have made it out of there any better than you pulled it off.

I'm curious if you are using the factory break settings? It's hard to tell because of how fast you got the toggles, but it seemed like there was quite a bit of forward speed at opening.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

We have talked about and around it, and we think what generates the speed towards the object is the angle of the open canopy in a 180 turnaround and the speed of my body witch is forward (oposite) This again generates an attack-angle of the canopy witch is front-cells downwards and they are going for the object. The brake-settings are factory default, but i got around 300 jumps on it and is usually stands still as a MF in the opening.
So, if you have forward speed (in this, not much) and a 180 opening the attack-angle of the canopy will be downwards and this again will generate speed towards where you just where...

About the ricer/toggles debate, don't think i would have avoided an object-strike on ricers but i am glad i had my toggels when trying to clear the cliff and finding a way down :P

Did you consider that releasing the brakes can generate forward speed as well....
Not if you pull them down in one straight move but:
1) you have to think about it and do it, and
2) if you pull them too deep you will might stall your canopy leading to uncontrolled steering, for a while.

Probably repeating, but it is considered better going for the risers. (it even gets worse if you have a twist!) I have seen a video from that too, KL tower, some years ago.

Just my 2 cents.

Ronald Overdijk

fark!!!, that looked close.

what bones were broken ?
was it a dislocated shoulder or broken shoulder ?
and was it a leg fracture and foot or what ?
very nice looking country.
nice big cliff to, how high was the cliff ?
looks like it would be a slider up cliff in australia lol.

good to see your ok,

also what if any body armour did you have on ?

not brands, just types as I don't know brands or anything.

Status after the impact was some fraction in the lower leg (taking most of the impact, you can actualy see me getting trown back from the rock) and a dislocated sholder (you can se me putting my finger inn where the shoulder should have been (in the vid)), and some doctors trying to put it back again.
Wearing mountain-boots, kneeprotection and camerahelmet. The cliff is 160m, and we sometimes do it slider up if there is no wind.
It's an awsome place, 15 min from the parking to the exit :$

Think that it was my MultiLift that made the 180, the velcro on the webbing holding the lines together are getting old and wearing off...

...Think that it was my MultiLift that made the 180, the velcro on the webbing holding the lines together are getting old and wearing off...

Can you elaborate this?
I'm not sure about what you mean...
I know that MULTI bridle equipped canopies can have major troubles regarding on heading performances when used in a side wind scenario, but I can't understand the relation between worn velcro on the lines protection and the 180°... :|:S

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

...I can't understand the relation between worn velcro on the lines protection and the 180°... :|:S

If the sheath velcro was very worn, it's remotely possible that one of the multi lines could slip out and wrap the canopy, spinning it on the way to line stretch.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If the sheath velcro was very worn, it's remotely possible that one of the multi lines could slip out and wrap the canopy, spinning it on the way to line stretch.

I suspect there are dozens of possible causes standing in line way ahead of that one. If one has even taken the time to fold the multi lines inside of the (essentially velcro-free) sheath, I have a very hard time believing that they'll be catching anything but air -- though they might, for instance, touch the tailpocket briefly.

Any reason to believe this is any more "possible" than, say, one of the riser covers on the rig hesitating long enough to induce the offheading?

Any reason to believe this is any more "possible" than, say, one of the riser covers on the rig hesitating long enough to induce the offheading?

The only reason I could think of would be that BR designed the sheath and stows of the multi specifically because of this concern (an unmanaged line slipping around the pack job while hiking or otherwise accessing the exit).

The multi was originally produced without either the sheath or the stows. They were added later on concerns (as far as I know never realized in practice) that the multi could slip around in the pack tray and entangle something).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

FUCK YEAH!... nice fucking work dude....
you can hear how amped you are in the vid once you clear the cliff.. listen to the breathing...

fucking stellar work... glad your alive..:)

and next time murphy knocks hard enough on your shoulder to dislocate it punch that fucker in the nose....;)