tymkoder

Rope Jump - Base Jump - Video

This is awesome stuff guys. Thanks for sharing the link to the movie!

Is this what BASE was 20 years ago? Figuring things out along the way? What rope manufacturer is going to offer a FRJC first? And will we see www.ropejumpfatalities.info in a few years? Is Dan Osman the Carl Boenish of this new sport?

Whatever happens, it's great to see inventive minds coming up with new and creative ways to have fun in the backcountry. Keep the movies coming. Hopefully one day I'll get to do a jump of my own...

DexterBase?

Didn't somebody do a rope jump off of angel falls [or some comparable E] and go in on the second try? He survived the first jump and made the world record, but tried it the next day [with the rope hanging from the day before], only to have the rope snap.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Thats an awesome video. I wonder how often they get rope burns? A rope between the legs could be reallt bad.

Very cool stuff.

Didn't somebody do a rope jump off of angel falls [or some comparable E] and go in on the second try? He survived the first jump and made the world record, but tried it the next day [with the rope hanging from the day before], only to have the rope snap.

pretty sure your are referring to Dan Osman

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0499/9904terminal.html

pretty sure your are referring to Dan Osman

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0499/9904terminal.html

check out masters of stone 5.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Badass, it is good to see the development taking place.

Two questions...

That is not what a GriGri is made for. Is the forces taken by the Gri Gri? It has to be, the Grigri is the first element in the line off the rope.

What is in their backpack and does this influence the jump, looks pretty bulky. Water for the hike out?

Once again, Badass.. how much is a plane ticket to moab?;)

the cool part is that they engineered and built that rig from scratch....nice one matt

Any BASE jumpers visiting Seattle, I will hook you up with a rope jump if you want to do one;)

Edit: We can do rope jumps all night and then do a BASE jump dawn load from the same object. Pretty cool spot.

I'd go for one if you can fit it in your schedule. Let's discuss tomorrow, if we're still in.

Could somebody identify tune between 1:13 and 1:58?

Anyone know the song after that? Starting from 2:04. I think it is a remix of Moby's Porcelain but not sure. And if it is, what remix is it?
Hell, some one please give the track list! :)

Any BASE jumpers visiting Seattle, I will hook you up with a rope jump if you want to do one;)

bwaa i told you before my rampage tour that i wanted to do so,but did i try it out.. wanker:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

That is not what a GriGri is made for. Is the forces taken by the Gri Gri? It has to be, the Grigri is the first element in the line off the rope.

This is a retarded question bertusgeert. If you looked more carefully, there is a shock absorber in front of the grigri. And the grigri IS made to take those loads.

Sorry for my ignorance

I've done some fairly massive rope jumps. If you ever have the chance to experience one you'll notice two things:

1.) Freefall has never felt more intense. For some reason, I get way more amped in freefall than on most BASE jumps.

2.) The catch at the end of the jump is way softer than you imagined it would be.

You have to consider that when you take a lead fall in the climbing gym, you are stopped abruptly because there is only about 30 feet of rope total over which the energy of your fall is distributed.

On a rope jump, you have much more energy to absorb because you've been falling for longer, but the entire rope jumping rig is designed to absorb and redistribute the energy of the jump. The setup in the video is one where not only do you have all the jump line absorbing the impact forces, but that jumpline is attached to a dynamic tyrolean which is basically a massive shock absorber.

I've done over 500 feet on a single 10.2mm climbing rope. This was anchored to a steel bridge girder with no tyrolean to assist in absorbing the energy. The softness of the catch was very suprising.

I chatted with Dano about whether there was a better option than the GriGri since it seemed like it was spreading the load over a very small portion of the jumpline. He was convinced that it would be okay.

I also have to take a moment to warn people from trying to re-create this type of jump on their own. I used to rope jump in the NorCal area with Dano, Kirk Arens, and a bunch of other guys. Pretty much every weekend and on some weeknights we'd close down the climbing gym, load the gear into our cars, and would drive off to one of several very nice spots and jump all night. We helped build the rigs we were jumping on. Dano watched what we were doing and approved, even jumping our rigs himself. Dano knew what he was doing. Kirk knew what he was doing.

I left for bootcamp on October 3rd, 1998. Towards the end of bootcamp, I received a letter (because I wasn't allowed to have phonecalls) with some bad news. On the day before Thanksgiving, Kirk died making a rope jump in Auburn California. Eight days later, Dano was also dead from a rope jumping incident. Two guys who knew what was up.

edit:typos

Man, that is spooky looking. I don't know if I could do that. I'd have to carry an extra loincloth, just in case.

Not wearing a rig and jumping's gotta be a bit uncomfortable at first.

Kinda like catching Dad wearing mom's clothes the first time.

Kinda like catching Dad wearing mom's clothes the first time.

True. So true.

The second time, however, isn't really that bad. Actually, it helps if you're wearing your sisters clothes at the time.
It turns into a real bonding experience for the both of you. A good chance to have a Mentos, and give each other the thumbs up.

Yo everybody...

Im Calvin, the song i used in this was a Rob D remix of moby porceliine...

and thanks for all the input, It took me about 9 Economics classes to make this film.

And thanks to the skull man for posting it...
i have no idea how to do that...

see you all over thanksgiving...

-SPACE-

I have actualy been rope jumping for 7 years, and only base for 2. Switching to the parachute was the weirdest thing ever.

After 2000 rope falls, doing a gainer without weight to the side is strange...

We started out climbing, and have been progressing ever since, this is a smaller, very reliable system.

THANK YOU DEX...

I agree with everything dex said...

Dex, we have met only breifly, but i hope we can jump on a system together soon, your experience will be very usefull...

If anybody has any questions about our system, please ask.

But SERIOUSLY, Do not try this stuff, It took us years and hundreds of systems to get to this point.

The gri gri works great...
simple, fast, and designed to take much harder hits than we are putting on it.

just started using a cinch... seems to work even better on our new thinner line.