jimmyh

Pin Rigs Suck!

Its user dependant and almost foolproof.

I can't help but remember jumping with someone last year (I won't name his name) who was doing gainers with a velcro rig and I can't help but remember seeing the velcro peel off of his back and watched the canopy start to come out of the container while he was in the middle of his rotation before he even pitched his PC. Hmmm ... definitely not fool proof.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yeah, that's a problem. If they aren't on the Fatality List it certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen. Yet, if your friend lived isn't that the very definition of foolproof. I wrote "almost" foolproof" because of #72 on the List . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I can't help but remember jumping with someone last year (I won't name his name) who was doing gainers with a velcro rig and I can't help but remember seeing the velcro peel off of his back and watched the canopy start to come out of the container while he was in the middle of his rotation before he even pitched his PC. Hmmm ... definitely not fool proof.

was the velcro worn or new?
was the jumper flexing in a way that helped pull it apart?
was it closed in a rush?

I think velcro rigs can do a fine job. the user simply must know their equipment and watch for it's potential issues (velcro OR pin).
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I do equal numbers of jumps on both types of system...prefer pins for the sub 250 range just because i dont like too much hang time on low jumps...something that i always "feel" i get with a velcro rig.

i was a victim of my own laziness/stupidity with a velcro rig a few years ago when i did a running exit from a 360 foot E and my velcro burst as i was at the point of no return..seven months later i was back jumping...the velcro burst due to its age and my vigorous sprint...so now i get it changed every 50 jumps.

Gear checks on velcro are a good idea too but not infalable...on that jump i asked someone for a check...he said i was good but on examination of his video some time later the velcro was already seperating and he didnt spot this even though it was right in front of him.

if you think your velcro is good for a few more jumps then it probably should have been changed already.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

We say the best time to change your Velcro is right now . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

"Everybody is running around looking for batteries because some gizmo is on the fritz . . . "

LMAO

So true, like the eyes don't work anymore to gauge height or something...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Well, did ya'?
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Hey Nick,
It's gonna be fun for us to agree on something. It looks like we both have enough exprience to charish the the simplicity/purity of the BASE rig in contrast to the skydiving rig. This post got started not because I was out in the "field" without a pull up cord, but because I was in my apartment packing up, and I realized at the last moment that all my pull up cords were at the DZ. It took me fifteen minutes to pack my rig and fifteen minutes to find a way to close it. Which left me reminiscing about my old Vision container. Not that I would go back to purchasing velcro rigs, but I never had to worry about my velcro Vision. And believe me, I've been on my back on plently of terminal BASE jumps.

After closing, I used to pick up my vision by the shrivel flap and twirl it around in circles. That was my terminal "gear check." And for low delays I would just peel the velcro a bit around the edges.

But whatever. No doubt pin rigs look cooler once they're closed, and that is beyond a doubt the key decision when purchasing a rig: which looks coolest at the exit point, cuz they all work just fine.

late,
jimmy

p.s. Nick, next time you're in CA, I'd love to make a jump with you off the antenna formerly known as "cadillac."

I cant believe "Pin Rigs Suck!" is still on the top of the thread list.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

What's the benefits?

Packing is easier! I'm a lazy packer -- i always close the upper pin with my canopy folded just once, and than i just put the upper fold (small one) into a half closed rig.
Climbing is easier. I prefer to climb with the rig on shoulders, not with the stash-bag. It's a bit safer to climb with the pin rig than with velcro.)
Terminal, tracking, aerials, colisions, linked stuff.... bla-bla-bla....
Finally it's COOL LOOKING. My canopy is one-size bigger than my container. My rig is small, it's shape is perfect and it looks nice. I prefer to be good-looking in my own eyes. Just to feel myself ready and able to do anything i want to do in BASE.

I've seen only one cool-looking velcro rig myself -- that was SOFT COCK that belongs to Ray.
All other velcro's i've seen looked a bit "old-style".
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

Let's see, what do I have in my pockets or on my person right this minute?

1) Dollar bill...roll lengthwise and fold in half.
2) OB plug...rip out string.
3) Pony tail holder...remove from hair, cut once.
4) Necklace...remove pendant, use chain
5) Keys on long lanyard...remove keys.

Then it's just a matter of deciding which item I don't care about sacrificing.

Oh, and #2 came from my pocket not somewhere else.

Peace,
K

I love my pin rig! I just got one of the new Apex DP’s and it is a beauty. I am also a little OC so hell would probably freeze over before you caught me packing without a pull-up cord or packing tool. The DP also has a pocket on the left side near the 3-ring for pull up cords where I keep two.

As for the pros and cons of pin vs. Velcro, I went with a pin rig for a few main reasons. You don’t have to worry about a pin rig opening up on a climb, “safer” emphasis on the “er” for aerials which I do plan to do in the future, and they seam to be easier to close when packing (when you don’t forget your pull cord. lol). Talking to one of the veteran BASE jumpers who visits my DZ on occasion but no long BASE I believe, told me a while back when I ask which type of container to buy, he told me, “If you ask someone like me who has been jumping Velcro forever and I am definitely gonna tell you to get Velcro. It works and why changes something that you know works. He said but both containers are safe and will do the trick. You just have to decide which you like and what works best for you.”

Because that would be gross.

BASE became the reason to cut your fingernails short

I suppose that's why you think BASE is the reason to cut your fingernails short. :S

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

ou don’t have to worry about a pin rig opening up on a climb...

I hear this a lot. Can someone please explain it to me?

I've climbed with 3 different Visions, quite a bit. I've _never_ had one of them come open, or start to come open, or even slightly worry me about it coming open.

How are people seeing the velcro rigs come open during climbs? What's causing it?

Thanks for any help!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Well I would think not more so just opening up because of nothing but if you bump your rig or rub up against something, the Velcro could more easily come apart than your pin coming out (pin cover helps protect the pin better). That’s what I would say. But I always climb with my rig in a stash bad so that helps too.

Did you see the video for NC jumpers on Skydivingmovies.com. That one guy had his pack job open as he was getting to the top of the A. I am at work so I can reference back and watch it but I think it was Velcro and he caught the velcro caught on the back of the platform or something.

Did you see the video for NC jumpers on Skydivingmovies.com. That one guy had his pack job open as he was getting to the top of the A. I am at work so I can reference back and watch it but I think it was Velcro and he caught the velcro caught on the back of the platform or something.

the antenna dayblazing video shows a top pin popping on a 2 pin rig

on skydivingmovies it's Eastern_NC_Rampage_2005.avi

it looks like it might of been very loose and just got pushed up as the jumper was climbing and subsequently bumped through the square hole to the top of the platform. Of course I could be 100% incorrect.

Coo, Yea I wasn't able to look at the video so I guessed. But yea either container can open due to that type of thing but I would think with pins and a pin cover it would be easier to prevent than Velcro that could peal easily.

Because that would be gross.

or fucking hardcore....;)

How are people seeing the velcro rigs come open during climbs? What's causing it?

I know I've had an issue before when inside a caged ladder with a velcro rig. Thankfully, the side-effect of velcro is the distinct noise when the shrivel flap starts to peel. I was able to stop climbing and deal with it before it came open.

pope