base428

Land Purchase Under NRGB - Latest News

I've been negotiating to purchase a new landing area under the NRGB for over two years. Some recent developments have prompted this post.

The land for sale encompasses approximately 3.5 acres from the current NPS-owned Bridge Day LZ to beneath the bridge. It also runs from the river to beyond the railroad tracks. Once cleared, this new landing area would be larger and safer for jumpers.

Anyway, after hashing out boundaries, prices, zoning, and a bunch of other stuff that has already cost me hundreds of dollars and too much time, I just found out that my bid has been rejected because the land owners are trying to sell to the NPS. The current landowners actually have 90+ acres with an asking price of $325k, but the small 3.5 acre parcel that was specifically selected for me was priced at $55k. In the past, the NPS offered $150k for the entire 90 acres, but the landowners rejected this. Through the sale of individual lots, they wanted to raise $110k or more, because by piecing it out they would make more. Since the landowners were unable to piece out the property to their liking, they have now gone to Congressman Nick Rahall and asked if he could help in gaining additional government funding for the NPS to purchase the 90 acres. The government would pay the appraised value of the property. Congressman Rahall has reportedly told the landowners that it is likely he'll be able to obtain the funding, but it won't happen until later this year at the earliest.

In addition to the purchase above, I've also been talking to the Dept. of Highways, my Congressmen, Senators, Governor, Fayette County Chamber of Commerce, and local newspapers regarding an expansion of Bridge Day to 3 days minimum. If you have the time, read THIS. Obviously, having our own LZ would make the above plan to much smoother. It might take an act of Congress for the NPS to permit an additional 2 days of jumping and the NPS is reportedly going to raise my special use permit fees this year ($660 last year for 8 hours time). Imagine the fees for three days!

So, in talking with the landowners, they are going to wait and see if Congressman Rahall can get them the funds to purchase their property and it'll become part of the NPS. However, I asked them how much money it would take for us to purchase the new LZ and halt their plan to sell to the NPS. They reported that $110k of sales would stop their dealings with Congressman, which may involve 15-30 acres. Therefore, if anyone out there is interested in investing money in having our own LZ, please contact me ASAP. We don't have a lot of time, and I hate to see all this work be wasted. I do not have the money to do this myself, but I don't want to see the NPS purchase the property. Plus, if our three day Bridge Day event is approved, your investment could be paid back in a matter of years. If everyday legal jumping were approved in conjunction with the proposed "catwalk tours" venture that someone else is working on, then the property purchase would be even more valuable to the BASE community.

There is a ton more information and details that I can convey to you if needed.

This isn't all about Bridge Day, and my main interest in this is to permit more jumping at the NRGB, period. I just want to jump legally and not have to fight the NPS anymore! By having our own LZ, we have solved a large part of the problem and made another step toward legal jumping. I have been talking to everyone I can on radio, newspapers, and TV about legal jumping in the area. Today, there was another article in the paper about legal jumping and it was very positive.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Anyone interested in this? I need to generate at least $110k to get these guys to sell, or cross my fingers and hope the Congressman doesn't come through.

The attached picture shows the prime LZ (3.5 acres). Any additional property is below the bridge and downstream.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Looking at it,It should't take much to round up money....There is at least 1000 Base numbers given out + the one's that don't have one, if we all pitch in $100.00 each there would be no problem raising the money.

Getting the pledges can be done, but figuring out how to "protect" everyone is another matter. I would probably have to form a shareholder based LLC and I'd try to keep the number of investors as low as possible to make it simpler.

The NPS essentially forced Jon Dragan to sell the current Bridge Day LZ back in the early/mid 1980's, so I'd hate for them to obtain MORE land down there. Before Jon passed away a few months ago, he told me how the NPS contacted city officials and they, in turn, put pressure on Jon to sell the current LZ. As much as I'd like to work with the NPS, I also realize that it'll be less stress to just have our own LZ.

It's do or die for us regarding this land. So let's raise the cash and buy it. Any suggestions on the proper way to form a company to protect investors?
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

what would the minimum investment need to be?

i kick in. check PM please

Hey WHY NOT CREATE A PAYPAL account just for this?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Please note that a closer landing area means longer delays without getting wet. ;)

what would the minimum investment need to be?

Minimum investment would ideally be $1000, but there are many factors that could change this. I am personally putting in $10-15k of my own money and my other investor will match this figure. But, keep in mind it'll take some additional funds to clear the property and prepare it for landings.

I live two hours from the NRGB, so I'll be doing a ton of work on it if we can obtain the property.

Please email me if you can assist ([email protected]). If you've spoken to me in the past about this, I'll send you an email tonight with full details.

I would give to this fund with no intented return,as i would think the other that were helping out!

Man, if only Ddog wasn't such a lead foot . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Have you talked to your bank to get a loan?

That's an option, but I'd have to sell my plasma to make ends meet. I've got a fat mortgage and another mouth to feed soon. I just hate to see this land go to waste.....even if another jumper is able to buy the whole thing, I would be happy.

Hey all. A loan is not much of an option as property like this can usually be financed for only 5 years. If we can get 100 people to put up $1000, we have it made. I will be one of the $1000.00 people, assuming we can get the other 99.

Way to keep up the good fight Jason.

I'm with you. Are they any lawyers on board who can be part of this so we can have some help with the paper work?
Memento Audere Semper

Looking at it,It should't take much to round up money....There is at least 1000 Base numbers given out + the one's that don't have one, if we all pitch in $100.00 each there would be no problem raising the money.

Hmmmmm

Not wanting to piss on your chips here but why would you expect thousands of jumpers worldwide, that's WORLDWIDE, to contribute to the purchase of this land which they will never ever see, never mind land on. I genuinely hope that Jason can form some sort of consortium of jumpers to achieve the goal.....i just think it's more likely to be a local issue as opposed to a global issue.

Good luck Jason....hope you can find the investors to make the deal work.

ian

What about local businesses putting up cash in return for X years Bridge day sponsorship, is that an option?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hey all. A loan is not much of an option as property like this can usually be financed for only 5 years. If we can get 100 people to put up $1000, we have it made. I will be one of the $1000.00 people, assuming we can get the other 99.

Way to keep up the good fight Jason.

funny thing - I just sent Jason an email saying I am game for $500. But hell, if it's $1000 that makes it, and we are sure that we have enough people involved - I can do $1000. I clocked myself doing a drive from my place to Fay in 4:20 flat last time - weird, huh ?

If you have ever been popped at NRGB, the second one will cost you $1200.00,. not including a lawyer. It is far less expensive to do it this way, and in the long run, we'll get lots more jumps.

Ahhh, beautiful summer afternoons spent hucking to our heart's content..... :)

Are there any issues with zoning or clearing the land? Is this not a protected area?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

i think jason would have looked into that... right? I think he mentioned clearing it already?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

i think jason would have looked into that... right? I think he mentioned clearing it already?

Yes, I even had a local lawyer look into it for me. Clearing trees and moving rocks is OK. Moving rocks into the river is not.

Information packets will be sent very soon to everyone who's expressed interest so far. It's now or never for us....

Also, check with your lawyer and make sure (as sure as you can) that either a local or the federal government can't make a case for emminent domain and force you to sell them the land after they see what is being done. I'm somewhat surprised that land under the bridge, is part of it actually under?, is not already owned by the public. I assume that zoning and other issues prevent any development other than clearing. Hear in Michigan cutting trees in a flood plain is allowed but stump removal and grading isn't necessarily allowed. Make sure what they mean when they have said that clearing is okay.

It sounds like you have but just some cautionary suggestions.

Also does it have frontage on a public road, will you have deeded access to the property, or is it land locked? This could be an issue if you have to cross NPS or other land to access with the equipment for clearing and access for use. The answer may be obvious but I haven't been to bridge day so don't know the full layout.

Just some thoughts that come from my experience in local government and zoning.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Also, check with your lawyer and make sure (as sure as you can) that either a local or the federal government can't make a case for emminent domain and force you to sell them the land after they see what is being done. I'm somewhat surprised that land under the bridge, is part of it actually under?, is not already owned by the public. I assume that zoning and other issues prevent any development other than clearing. Hear in Michigan cutting trees in a flood plain is allowed but stump removal and grading isn't necessarily allowed. Make sure what they mean when they have said that clearing is okay.

It sounds like you have but just some cautionary suggestions.

Also does it have frontage on a public road, will you have deeded access to the property, or is it land locked? This could be an issue if you have to cross NPS or other land to access with the equipment for clearing and access for use. The answer may be obvious but I haven't been to bridge day so don't know the full layout.

Just some thoughts that come from my experience in local government and zoning.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

I sent you an email offering to contribute what little cash I've got. I'll also (in the event this goes through) contribute my time and energy to help clear the land.

Mike

Jason,
please send me all the info you have on this issue. I would like to know the particulars.
thanks,
Jason

Jason, send me all the info you ave. I am very interested. [email protected]
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson