phil6086

Whoa first jump last night

Did first jump last night. 2 way with hand held 4 sec delay. Awesome. Off heading opening 90deg to left countered with rear riser to correct. Nice crew two way landing . Now talk about fear at the exit point . More than life and death words cant describe the wall I went through.Was going to go stowed but on the edge opted for going hand held It was commented and I quote " best first base exit that was seen by my mentor, not head low at all. Solid 4 sec delay. No ground crew could be gathered cause everybody was wufos to busy to help. I do know this I went into a zone when the count reached 1 that skydivings never gave me. And to wrap this thread up the bridge became my bitch

I'm not a BASE jumper (yet), but the numbers you give seem :o:S to me... 1st jump, 2 way, 4 sec. hand held.

My idea is that they all don't mixe very well together. Anyways it worked out fine, so that's cool... But I wonder if anyone will have the same reaction than mine.

BTW what altitude was the exit ??
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

handheld's a good option for your first jump, wise choice ;) ... and did you say crw?! now thats crazy :S

but uh, congrats!

handheld's a good option for your first jump, wise choice

handheld ? OK
4 sec's handheld ?? :S

J'ai passé les 5" à la main pour mon 1er saut de falaise...

Fabien
BASE#944

does that make it more "recommendable" ??
specially on a 2 way ??

am I the only one that thinks this whole situation sounds a bit fucked for a first jump?

edit to add: from his report and the conclusions drawn from it..........

Now BASE 813, you know what happened last time a new BASE jumper was criticized. You and I were in the dog house. You remember? Yeah you remember.

Hey fabien hows it going? Ok, no more code talk... ingles por favor ;) And how high was the bridge he speaks of?

this means he did a 5'' handheld for his 1st cliff jump.

moreover the original poster mentionned he was going stowed, and then changed to handheld on exit.

Ok night before jump we were at ymca for 3 hours of practice exits into 8' pool 1/2 stowed 1/2 hand held. critique every exit with mentor holding with count then pitching from hand held and stowed. head up and slightly forward exits. When jump happened muscle memory was perfect. mind you my last 230 jumps are all sit fly with some of the best in my humble opinion free flyers in the world. so going stowed although not the norm could have been done but out of fear I couldn't do it. Doing a 2 way took a big edge off and made it easier to go with my mentor doin the count. Mind you there was never any pressure to jump only it was getting late and this was a sunset jump. I didn't want to do it at night being my first so for me being introduced into this the greatest sport ever my hat is off to my instructors for teaching me so well. In air was no fear only fear was the exit and that was more intense than even my first tandem or even going without jumping for 4 months winter of 2003 so I thank all who came before and made this possible for me. You've given me a gift the only way I'll ever be able to pay you trailblazers for is to be safe not to extreme follow directions but most of all go through every fear knowing that gods kids are meant to fly thats why we jump .

Dude.

In all seriousness, if your mentor put you off for a 2 way on your first jump, and even considered a stowed jump, you ought to go find someone else to help you. Your life is being put at risk in ways you probably don't understand yet.

I'm really hoping that you have a ton of CRW jumps, so the idea of doing CRW on a BASE jump, at night, isn't as ridiculous as it sounds. But somehow I'm guessing...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Personally
I think PCA from a bridge is the safest way for a new jumper , I have taught how to Base jump a few guys from my country , and I have done PCA´s on their first jumps and that has worked great.

Mis 2 pesos .

Gabo

Hey fabien hows it going? Ok, no more code talk... ingles por favor ;) And how high was the bridge he speaks of?

Ooopss... Sorry, I won't do that again. Or... I've read on another thread that there's some whipping in progress by female base jumpers... Should I continue to be a bad boy? B|

Fabien
BASE#944

I am in agreeance here... I don't think this was the optimal jump configuration... Please ask around for the base mentors around here (not me) and I think they will agree...

Le Roy

woah... I said that?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I have taught how to Base jump a few guys from my country ***

I'm one of them B|:P
***Keep it fun, stay alive***
Safe swoops
Azul
Follow Orbita on Twitter @freeflyorbita

That's not so bad, actually. I wouldn't recommend it for a 1st BASE jump, but a long handheld delay for a first cliff jump is (although not my favorite) definitely one of the options.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"this means he did a 5'' handheld for his 1st cliff jump."

...but a long handheld delay for a first cliff jump is (although not my favorite) definitely one of the options.

The other options being?

A shorter delay but still handheld?

The other options being?

A shorter delay but still handheld?

It depends on the object available, and the jumpers terminal experience.

I think my first choice would be someone with good terminal skills, going stowed and taking a delay over 10 seconds with a strong track, from a good (1000m or more) high cliff.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Who'da thunk it, I think you and I were in a dinner party at Eva's near Eloy recently. :)

That's not so bad, actually. I wouldn't recommend it for a 1st BASE jump, but a long handheld delay for a first cliff jump is (although not my favorite) definitely one of the options.

Once again I have ABSOLUTELY NO experience in the domain, but wouldnt you have a risk of premature deployment with a long handheld delay ??

While I type, thinking I already handheld my PC for various reasons in freefall, but the issues would certainly not be the same with a mono canopy system, close to an obstacle...

...wouldnt you have a risk of premature deployment with a long handheld delay ??

Yes, if you are using a pin rig. That's a good reason to use a velcro rig for that kind of thing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"...wouldnt you have a risk of premature deployment with a long handheld delay?"

Yes, if you are using a pin rig. That's a good reason to use a velcro rig for that kind of thing.

Sorry to ask for more information again, but I don't quite see how a difference between pin or velcro causes different behaviour here. Perhaps the combination of the bridle being stowed differently (over the shoulder) and the pilot-chute inflating sooner (at a different location) is what you mean?

Thanks,

Jaap Suter

Flapping bridle is more apt to pluck the pin(s) loose than it is to shear off an entire velcro shrivel flap.....
I think.....:$
Make centz?
Later
Blair