LouYoung

Packers and Packing Mats

With all the packers etiquette going around I was wondering what the etiquette was for asking a packer to use a packing mat.

Some (most) professional packers that I've seen drag the harness/container towards them while putting the lines into the bands on the bag and as you know, that damages the rig over time.

If I provide a packing mat, will the packer use it? If so, will they be pissed off?

I've been using a packer lately because my canopy is brand new ZP and slippery as hell. I'd rather spend my time at the DZ jumping instead of fighting with the canopy. I practice at home and while it was raining this last weekend, I got it in the bag on the first try... twice! My need for a packer should be diminishing, but in the meantime, I'd rather not see the friction dirt/damage on the system.

Lou

Yes, dragging the rig does hurt it. No, most packers aren't going to take the time to put on a packing mat on for you.

Why not hook the packing mat up yourself and lay it under the rig as you lay it out for the packer? That way, it's already in place and doesn't slow them down...and your rig gets protected to boot!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

When I was a packer I never drug the rig across the floor, I'd walk the d-bag down the lines as I did them to the rig. It's much faster and it doesn't tear up rigs.

Find a packer that cares about taking care of the gear they're packing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'd walk the d-bag down the lines as I did them to the rig. It's much faster and it doesn't tear up rigs

agreed. not only is it faster and gentler on the rig, but it shows respect for other people's belongings...

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

When I was a packer I never drug the rig across the floor, I'd walk the d-bag down the lines as I did them to the rig. It's much faster and it doesn't tear up rigs.

Really, though! I see some of the packers at my dz do that, too, and hadn't really given it much thought as I don't use a packer, but that's cool of them! I don't drag my rig, I wouldn't want anyone else to, either if I needed a pack job.

Angela.

Some (most) professional packers that I've seen drag the harness/container towards them while putting the lines into the bands on the bag and as you know, that damages the rig over time.

None of the Profesional packers I've used have ever done this. If they did I wouldn't use them.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I used to drag the rig, but then got in the habit of shimmying myself up to the rig as I made stows. When you get used to it, its really just as easy as dragging.

I try to walk the bag down the lines as I do the lines because I think it looks cooler. :P

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I agree with everyone who just walks the bag to the rig as they stow the lines. That's what I do, because it's my own gear.

The first time I had a packer pack it up for me at a smaller dropzone nearby, I didn't watch her pack, but could tell from the scuff marks that she drug it across the floor. I don't remember one way or the other if the various packers at Eloy have ever done that, though.

Thanks for all the comments!

Lou

I have never had a jumper request me to use a packing mat, but I also walk the lines down to the container. If a jumper wanted me to use a mat, I would ask them to hook it up as I would probably be too busy. If this was a problem for them, I would have them find another packer. Of course, if I had the time, I wouldn't care. If I was outside, I'd have my own mat and hook everysingle one up because sunlight is bad... mmmkay.

If I was outside, I'd have my own mat and hook everysingle one up because sunlight is bad... mmmkay

if I pack outside, I have a tarp layed down on the grass and a sheet nearby to cover rigs up with. packing mat or no, it is just polite to respect the investments.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

What you drag a rig over makes a huge difference in wear patterns.
The Belgian Army studied wear and tear on canopies while packing and presented their findings at a PIA Symposium a few years back.

smooth concrete did the least damage
carpet was almost as good
grass was almost as good
sand was somewhere in the middle
poly tarps were almost the worst
rough concrete was the worst

... as for packing on gravel, wear a hard shell helmet for the avalanche that always follows opening shock.
Hee! Hee!

if you want I'll pack for you as long as I'm not on a call.

Hmm... I've seen you pack, Bill. Your pack jobs are the ones that everyone makes fun of! :P

Lou

PS - I'm bringing my own pack job to the DZ this weekend. Let me in on one of your dives and you can watch it open. It'll be exciting! :o

Difficult to believe that anyone could have a problem with using a mat. It takes all of, what, 20 seconds to put it under the rig. I realise convienience might be an issue (availability an wot not), but other than that it makes sense not to drag the rig on the tarp without protecting it.
Personally I pull the lines towards me when packing because I find then that the stows are very neat, zero pleated lines and nice loops make for a smooth opening and rare line twists (also reduced risk of baglock). But then again I'm a stickler for "hospital corners" on the folds as well. I guess that'll all go out the widow when I start pro packing.

I Use a Packer and I hook the mat up for him most the time unless I am in a hurry or rushed, The guy that packs for me has been doing so for a long time and he does not mind to hook it up if needed.
But I have been places that the packers want to charge more for stuff like that. But I pack for myself most of the time that I am away from the home D/Z.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

Hay! They always open! They don't always look pretty going in the bag;) Some people even claim to have the nicest openings ever! I never said I knew what I was doing:S
I definatly want to be on that jump sat.
Lets go playB|
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

As a packer, I don't believe in charging extra for bigger parachutes or for hooking up a mat, I do, however, feel that I can choose who I pack for and who I don't.
Charging extra for silly little things that take up more time is something a lot of people in skydiving are keen on doing, but I pose this... do people who take longer to learn something have to pay more? I don't believe people are paying for my time, they are paying for my ability to pack their parachute fast and amazingly well. They are paying, often, to get on the next load. I would never charge a student more to learn to pack if their parachute was bigger, 'nor do I think any Dropzone would charge a student more because it took five extra minutes to go over a dive. I think people often lose sight of what packing is, and I'm not talking just about the packers.