RayLosli

102 ft / 34 meter TARD

Had a most outstanding jump day with Spence,Dexter, Katie & sandy on G.C.
Good jumps all day. Got some video of Spence doing a ...Sick-Low
Day blazing, Bridge Rail Jump. 34 meter ? 102 ft. TARD over wet sand.

After seeing that I now find it hard to believe that anybody is going to do
anything below, sub-100 ft./ sub-33 meters, "Over Hard Ground" with today's
Vented-BASE Canopy tecknowledgy. A big-big chance you will be carried
to your the car by your ground crew.
The sound that Spence's feet made when, slapping to the Wet/sand and
doing a, Not that hard of a" PLF.... Was "Very Loud".

+ 100 ft. might be the safety barrier for the, experienced & Not so sane or Un-trained idiot. ;)

What good jumps that morning! I enjoy jumping there very much. Just a really nice object with beautiful surroundings and good company.

That afternoon...

I've been witness to some amazing things. All I can say about that jump was... holy crap.:o

I was standing there at the bottom watching you guys talking. I could hear your voices, I couldn't make out what you were saying, but I could hear you talking. I thought to myself, "Damn, they're so close." That thing lasers at precisely 34 yards, not meters. That's 102 feet. 102 feet!

The more I looked at that bridge, the more I thought that maybe the jump wasn't such a good idea.

If I didn't know Spence and his abilities, I might have elected to go home and not be a part of that jump. Because I do know that he's highly experienced in these jumps I chose to stay and help out. If anybody could pull off what he was attempting, surely it's Spence.

What followed was the most impressive display of low-altitude parachute deployment I've ever seen. I can tell you what, If I've ever willed a parachute to inflate it was yesterday.

I'm also pretty sure Ray had something confidence inspiring to say just before Spence exited. hehe...

Spence, respect dude. I want to know where you find pants to fit over your giant balls;).

"After seeing that I now find it hard to believe that anybody is going to do
anything below, sub-100 ft./ sub-33 meters, "Over Hard Ground" with today's
Vented-BASE Canopy tecknowledgy. A big-big chance you will be carried
to your the car by your ground crew."

Years ago, there was an article in Paramag (french skydive magazine) of a Frenchman doing several bag launched jumps of a 29 meters bridge over a grassy field. (no soft sand).
Looked OK to me from the pictures taken from above. No flare, toggles set in half brakes, he just ran on landing. This was better than releasing the brakes (creating forward surging speed).

Good 2 know history...:P

Ronald Overdijk
www.liveskyproductions.nl

Wow....I'd like to get a hold of that MAGIC parachute :P

BTW Chad, the holdup at exit was Ray preaching verses from the BASE Ethics Book that someone kindly sent him recently.

Since I was top railing in the afternoon with cars going by, he did everything he could to stop me.

But the words "DO IT" scrawled in the sand below were too much to resist!

It took an elbow to the solar plexes before he finally let me go :ph34r:

Thanks guys for a great day.

Ronald :
It's hard to believe that story
We are talking about a un-opened parachute and lines being thrown
up in the air, as you jump off, Right ????????????

You say a Frenchman Years Ago.....
At 29 meters. D-Bagging, A PACKED Ram-Air PARACHUTE.
He had Full line stretch, Bottom Skin Inflation, ..Also...
He had Full pressurization and forward speed, to Run a landing out ???
When today's Vented, technology canopy could not do it ???

My fucking head is spinning around and my tongue is hanging out.
That is one Magic Parachute. .....Or that Frenchy is, Mary Poppins in disguise.

Have Video MPEG and will compress it a little and get this puppy out there soon.

I don't buy it either. You might survive that, but you'd certainly be injured pretty badly.

I know that with any sort of headwind you will come straight down because the canopy isn't flying yet. It has full bottom skin inflation but the wing is still trying to pressurize. I know that on the TARD Spence did, the parachute was never flying. It decelerated him enough to to a vertical PLF, that is, he came pretty much straight down.

He presented the already staged canopy in front of him and held the lines just long enough to get some air trapped in the canopy. He then released the lines and hit linestretch while the canopy was already inflating.

If he was to do the same jump with a D-bag, he would hit linestretch with the parachute tightly folded up and no air inside. It would take considerably more vertical drop and speed to pressurize the wing enough to have the forward speed for the running landing you describe.

I estimate that point to be around twenty feet below impact.

Try running out a partially pressurized canopy with the toggles stowed and with no flare. Actually, let me rephrase that. Don't try running out a partially pressurized canopy with the toggles stowed and with no flare.

I think you'll be quite injured.

Edit: Oops, accidentally replied to Ray.

I think that Ronald would be talking about a bagged jump where the canopy is stowed in a D-Bag which is held by someone at the top. The canopy is pulled to line stretch straight away and the canopy inflates fairly quickly.

There's a sequence of it being done from an 80ft ladder over water on Johnny Utah's site. By the look of it there's enough time for a riser flare.

http://www.johnnyutah.com/9lives.html

That was a PCA into waist deep water. That gives some degree of safety factor if something doesn't go right.

Doing the same jump over solid earth is quite another story.

I've talked with Johnny about that jump and I've seen the video. I don't think there was time for any type of flare. Johnny, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Damn typos.:S

Give me some time. I will call Paramag magazine and ask for a copy of the article.

Ronald Overdijk
www.liveskyproductions.nl

>You say a Frenchman Years Ago..... At 29 meters.
> ...
> When today's Vented, technology canopy could not do it ???
Ray, today's vented canopy can do it, and tyey can do it very well indeed.
There is this fantastic (and very humble) European BASE jumper that jumped in DB a cliff in Europe that is 26.80 m high. Yes, he landed on hard wet sand (it is a overhanging cliff by the sea) but the landing, even if he stumbled, was NOT dramatic, with suitable protections, it could have been done also on a hard surface. 3 seconds of flight, a good flare with risers and here he is.
This jumper is as good as modest. On the web is also possible to find the video, I cannot find it presently (I had it on my HD, but I had to delete it for space reasons).
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I remember seeing that video, sort of an arched rock formation on a beach... I'll look at home and see if I can find it.

Ganja

On the web is also possible to find the video, I cannot find it presently (I had it on my HD, but I had to delete it for space reasons).

I have the video on my hard drive. It is 1.2MB. You need a bigger hard drive. :)

I do not know where I got it from. I tried to upload it to skydivingmovies.com but can't with the browser I have here at work. If someone wants to post it, PM me and I can email it to you.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hey ...finaly got something put together on Spence's. Day blazing,
Rail Bailing, TARD.
Got it compressed down to ,"850 kb 22 seconds long", so its a easy
fast down load. Even if your Sucking Off the phone-Line it will only
take about 5 Min.
Spence say's " Hey , sub-100's, No Sweet."

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1866

I would still like to see some Frenchman do better.;)

Try http://www.skydivingmovies.com/fileupload. Doesn't require JAVA. Just let me know when it's done uploading and send me all the pertinant info to display. (or just email me the file/info)

Thanks, Dave. I uploaded the file here. Please forgive the double extension. :) It was originally called base.wmv but I renamed it to 26.8m.wmv.wmv. Not sure if it is on your site anywhere else with a different name...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hello Ray

I'm confused about this thread and was hoping you'd clarify for me.

The TARD jump of Spence's (which i watched) is by any standard a sickningly low BASE jump. Is this viewed in general as a freefall jump or does it fall into that grey area like the rollover (mcconkey) or the Utah drop (whatever it's called).

The reason i ask is that i would imagine a D-bag or even a bridle removed (inside container static line) would provide a flying canopy faster or am i totally wrong here. That's a genuine question, not one of those smart assed "correct me if i'm wrong though i know i'm not" type questions.

Would Spence (or has spence) DB'd, McConkey'd , static lined or PCA'd that height or would he consider that a definite no no jump.

IS the TARD method viewed by you guys as the fastest effective way of getting a canopy above your head?

Huge respect to Spence. Spence i love your work and owe you a drink or two for looking after me in TF after my FJC a few years ago. Fond memories of hotrocks.;)

ian #843

If he was to do the same jump with a D-bag, he would hit linestretch with the parachute tightly folded up and no air inside.

It depends on the design and rigging of the deployment bag. I once tried to build a really big, flat d-bag, and hold air channels open with separators. I didn't get very far, but I can see how such a setup would give you inflation as fast or faster than a TARD, and with better control of the opening.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i just uploaded a French TV rip i found on emule.

It's a tower strike in KL.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I once tried to build a really big, flat d-bag, and hold air channels open with separators.

That's interesting. Why did you stop work on that?

That's fine Dave,
It's about 8 minutes 30 seconds & as i said it's a French TV rip. :)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning