bshl

Why smaller reserves?

Gotta love Sunrise rigging...Henri will make you any combo you want basicly.

I currently jump a 120/120 main/reserve but my new rig that I'm waiting for from Sunrise will have a smaller main but a larger reserve. Their ability to do that was a major factor in my purchasing decision.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I currently jump a 120/120 main/reserve but my new rig that I'm waiting for from Sunrise will have a smaller main but a larger reserve. Their ability to do that was a major factor in my purchasing decision.

one of the reasons why I will not buy any other container...among other things they do right...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Consider;
PD sizes diferently than most other manufactures...
that is ..their numbers are smaller than actual size (in comparison)
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19457;
Examples; Note that PD 190/(size sq. ft) = 205 & PDr 176/(size sq ft) = 189.
Find; (search) - PD canopy numbers (cruzlite)
D

Doubt it. Most incidents (fatalities) happen under mains.

Well, yea. I was aiming more at the non-fatal incidents that tend to occur on overloaded reserves, which is a not a huge number to begin with. Thanks for the clarification! ;)
Miami

Main: Diablo 150
Reserve: PD 193r

When I bought the rig (Vector II) in 1993 (yes, 1993), I had a PD 210 main, so I guess the "smaller reserve than main" held true at the time. I do, however, think it is probably wise to have a LARGER reserve than the main since given the probably extreme conditions under which you use it, I like the idea of more fabric than "normal" than less. BTW: 2 reserve rides on it.

Blues,

Bob P.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I am currently jumping a Stiletto 135 with an Amigo 172 reserve.
Why the difference?
For years I had a Sabre 170 in that rig.
The primary reason I bought the Amigo is that I was allowed to do a jump on an Amgio 206 and really liked the way it flew and flared, much like a Sabre.
For my next rig I would like an Amigo 152, except that - at 190 pounds naked - I am hopelessly over the placarded weight (160-ish pounds).

I have (well, had, since it's lost right now) a Lotus 136 and a PD 126 reserve.

People have asked me why I jump a smaller reserve than my main...but it's only 10 feet and hell, it still flies bigger than my main.

I'm barely loading either, so it's not as if I'm coming in fast.

I had a 143 until I had around 150 jumps.

I'm thinking we've beat this pony before.

Folks... It ain't about which is bigger-main or reserve. Its about F111 material, the reserves placarded weight, your exit weight and the elevation at which you jump.

I once met a freeflyer some years ago who gained my instant respect. He was about 5'6" and ~160 pounds jumping at 600 ft elevation. Had a small main canopy and a massive 249 Dash M. I asked him why he was jumping the same size reserve as me?

His reply was, "I've had to go for silver twice and there is no better feeling than knowing I've got too much reserve. When I look up and see that huge reserve canopy, its a beautiful sight."

I'm going the opposite direction. When I bought my first rig at 40 jumps, I got a 150 main and 120 reserve. I've since downsized to a 135 main, but the 120 still seems small to me. I'm not worried about landing it on the DZ. By this point, I'm pretty sure I'd have no trouble handling it under ideal conditions. It's an off landing in a tight area that I worry about. So my new rig will have a 143 reserve. I just don't see any reason to push my limits when it comes to a reserve.

Dave

Most people starting out in the sport dont think about their reserve. People are happy to borrow rigs asking "what size is the main" but never question "what size is the reserve"

Its a dangerous thing.

Imagine

You pull slightly lower than usual as you are on a multi way and you want clear space, you get a line over, you try and clear it a couple of times and then decide to reserve it. You chop, you take some time to get stable, you deploy your reserve...........

you are now under canopy sub1000.

You are flying a canopy you have never been under, its now 20sqft smaller than yours and is F1-11. You are off DZ and have power lines and hazards all around. There is a small area to land in but if you misjudge you are either hitting into power lines or hitting into a brick wall.

You dont have the same amount of time under canopy and shit is happening real fast......... you cant panic you have to be confident that you can put yourself down in that small area.

How many people can safely say that they are confident of landing their reserve anywhere???

or are you of the thinking - "well I lived through the mal so anything is a bonus now!"

Fuck that..................

skydivers have always quoted "but you only have one parachute"

my reply is that "we all rely on one parachute in the end..............."

make sure yours is the one that does not hurt you

just my 0.0000000002 worth!!

If you have the opportunity to demo a PD176r. Go for it! PM me and I'll give you some drills to practice when you fly it.

Mind posting here so we can all benefit, Bonnie? I like the idea of demoing a reserve and, as dumb as I am, there's no way I'll remember who you are to PM you when it happens.

Thanks!

Blue skies and happy landings!

Mind posting here so we can all benefit, Bonnie? I like the idea of demoing a reserve and, as dumb as I am, there's no way I'll remember who you are to PM you when it happens.

Here are some of the things we cover in our "Flying the Reserve" seminar:
(Disclaimer. Each participant is a USPA licensed skydiver. If someone on student status wishes to participate, some of the drills are modified to allow more altitude. Also note: We are using Performance Design Reserve Demos set up on main risers. Hooked up as mains on each jumpers individual gear.

#1 - Glide. Find the "sweet spot" and just observe how much/little glide the reserve has compared to your main.

#2 - Familiarity. We are blessed with an huge landable area in Byron. Pick a spot that you don't land in every time. Now the landmarks you usually use to set up have changed. We are doing this in a controlled environment, so we know that the chosen area is free from hazards.

#3 - Decision Time. Do these drills as a hop-n-pop. Work on a couple of other drills first. Don't start setting up your landing pattern until below 1000 feet.

#4 - Techniques. Try a "sink" approach. Upon opening find out how much brake input is necessary to sink your canopy with stalling it. Then try sinking it into your "imagined" tight landing area.

While you are up high. Imagine you are flying right at a fence. Hit the brakes (about shoulder or chest level... this drill will help you figure out where.) then slowly let up on one side to veere away from your imaginary fence. As you veere away, pull the raise hand back down and continue to flare. Imagining that this is where you meet the ground. ;)

Up high play with rear and front risers and observe the glide ration.

#5 - Special circumstances. If you break an arm or hand in freefall, or dislocate a shoulder. It is recommended that you go straight for your reserve. Do you unstow your brakes or not? Do you unstow one and not the other? Do you unstow both, put both toggles in one hand, steer and flare with one hand? They are all valid options, but which one is right for you? Performing this drill in a controlled environment will give you a game plan that you are sure you will be able to perform.

Try steering the reserve without unstowing any brakes. For the drill you would unstow your brakes by 2500 feet and fly in normally. In the "real deal" you would steer to an open area and perform your best PLF, turning your hips slightly to the side on approach, feet an knees clamped tightly together.

Then try unstowing just one brake. This would be a very dangerous choice. You would not be able to flare, but with that toggle in your hand it would be tempting. I wouldn't recommend this as a conscious choice. But if your arm was dislocated and you instinctively reached up to grab your toggles and only one arm went up.... well you might find yourself in this position. So. Have a plan. Practice it up high. For the drill unstow the other brake and do a normal approach. For the "real deal" prepare to PLF, holding the unstowed toggle down to keep the canopy flying straight, perform your best PLF and remember YOU CAN'T FLARE WITH ONE TOGGLE! Hold her steady.

This drill is the most important. If you decide to unstow both brakes with one hand, put both toggles in one hand in the center of your body. Pull to the left to go right. Pull to the right to go left. Practice this! Now the real test. Do you have the strength to flare with one hand? Try it. Can you flare smoothly and evenly? Practice it. If you cannot do it now. Consider making your game plan leaving the brakes stowed.

Anyways. Those are some of the drills we do. We also sit around and talk a bunch of "no shit" stories. Everyone takes turns recounting their real life cutaways and reserve rides. We talk about the sensations as well as the technical aspects. Most people come away from the event feeling much more confident. Also secure in knowing they have a good game plan for unlikely, but possible senarios.

Please feel free to PM me if you have ANY questions or if I didn't make something clear.

Seek the advise and help of a professional at your home drop zone before performing these drills, so you know for sure your interpretation is correct and you are doing them in a safe and controlled environment.

Over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I recently did this because I liked the look and the feel of the smaller container. I'm a pretty big guy, and now I jump a Stileto 150 and a PD143 reserve in an Javelin OJ container. The 143 is loaded at about 1.7.

Now before anyone goes off on me and says "you better be prepared to land that downwind, in 20mph winds, when you're low, etc...." I'll answer with: "ok, I am". I've landed that reserve downwind in 25MPH winds after a low exit. I'm perfectly comfortable with my abilities to land it safely, I'd done it 5 time before I bought it.

I do not think downsizing my reserve significantly infringed on my safety. That said, if anyone wants to downsize their reserve, they should be willing to do the same as I have.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm thinking we've beat this pony before.

Folks... It ain't about which is bigger-main or reserve. Its about F111 material, the reserves placarded weight, your exit weight and the elevation at which you jump.

I once met a freeflyer some years ago who gained my instant respect. He was about 5'6" and ~160 pounds jumping at 600 ft elevation. Had a small main canopy and a massive 249 Dash M. I asked him why he was jumping the same size reserve as me?

His reply was, "I've had to go for silver twice and there is no better feeling than knowing I've got too much reserve. When I look up and see that huge reserve canopy, its a beautiful sight."

Keith,
What he said, that just about covers it.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals