badenhop

Robin Heid injured on BASE jump

Each time I stood at the exit, the exit managers were scouting each jumper prior to exit. The first couple times it was an up close visual front to back inspection. On later jumps it was clear that we were being looked after, just as you probably check out every one on an airplane when you're sitting in it.

Thanks for clearing that up Tim. By gear check I meant the formal kind where you check straps, 3 rings, making sure the bridle is wrapped around your legstrap ;)....

That was not done 100% of the time, but it was on the first day and as you note, there was ALWAYS someone at the exit point looking things over even if they didn't touch the rig.

And flyangel2, no worries, I just couldn't tell where you were going and I can honestly say that the Games were handled in an extremely professional manner by Troy, Jimmy & Marta.

Safety was the mantra and I think overall, it went very very well. B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Personally, I ask for a gear check before every jump. Not getting one is foolish, in my opinion. It's also my own fault if I don't.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

edit: side bar: The following reply is all speculative, and opinionated. In no way does it reflect anyone's beliefs except my own. I have personally spoke with noone involved with this, and am only hazarding opinions. That said

I think a lot of us had been witholding comment on the gear setup in order to avoid rubbing salt into the wound.

I'm sure Robin has suffered a pretty severe ego-toma from all of this already. He should have known better, and I'm sure he knows that in retrospect. Again, I hope he heals quickly.

I have a different opinion. [steps back, takes a breath, and thinks about how to phrase this nicely]

Robin does know his stuff, and IS a pioneer. This was simply an accident. Accidents happen. END OF STORY.
Who remembers the video (Fistfull of F1-11) of the guy, Marvelous Marvin the magician, who jumps a....EXTREME 74 off the bridge. People up top are commenting.....chop it...chop it dude. Not really considering a skydiving setup, and a chop may be fatal from (what's USPA's advice, under 1000 feet?)
A sorcerer can be chopped from 300 feet, but not a skydiving setup. I think that may have been the reason for the WAD deployment at bridge day on the extreme.
BUT, the EXTREME 74 swoop DID work, and everyone seemed to be impressed. Hell, I was impressed when I watched the video.
The thing is.....the swoop worked. Had the extreme twisted up and spun in, we would be making the same conjectures and comments about marvelous marvin.
Robin knew his stuff, made his choices, and now has a tough road ahead.
Before anyone comments on his gear set-up, think about what BASE was like in the early 80's. It was not.......BASE manufacturer sells my customized BASE gear(that has been TESTED already), trains me with a FJC, and hucks me off a legal bridge in daytime.
BASE was......an idea kicked around at the bonfire at the dropzone. BASE was certain people with a drive....a certain drive, looking for something more than just skydiving.

Robin knew his gear, and made his choice. And an accident happened. That is all it is. He was, and still is a pioneer in the sport. I thank him for that, and hope he can jump again some day.
Part of me thinks Robin is laying in bed now thinking about when he can jump again.

Think of this. There may be a point in a person's BASE career, where standard BASE in not enough anymore. Something needs to be pushed. Whether it be a lower exit altitude, one flip more than last time off a bridge, a double somersault from under 200 feet, a little bit longer wingsuit flight, or be it swooping a canopy on a BASE jump, the envelope continues to be pushed.

People may say....

He should have known better

Bull. He did KNOW better, and just made his own personal choice. What? People think he didn't understand what canopy he had on his back? Or how that canopy opened or flew?
Robin knew, and understood. And made the choice. Noone except him can understand the thought process in his mind at the time.

Enough ranting. Be well brother.

Thomas

edit to add side bar

Bull. He did KNOW better, and just made his own personal choice. What? People think he didn't understand what canopy he had on his back? Or how that canopy opened or flew?

Understand Thomas. And to a certain degree I agree with you. Pushing personal limits is what BASE is all about.

The difference here is that this was an organized public event. One in which the object was EXTREMELY challenging and one in which we already had a tragedy last year.

I'd argue that it wasn't the place, but it most definitely was not the time to be trying something along those lines. You're entitled to disagree, but that's just my personal feeling.

The "chop it" video is actually part of Lemmings Extremes... and most folks I think agree that that sort of thing would be inappropriate at a public event such as BD as well. I would at least.

Color me a fuddy duddy, but there is a time & place for everything. Taking a Tri 135 with a sail slider out at Royal Gorge during the Games wasn't it.

Peace to all and AGAIN wishes for a speedy recovery to Robin.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Pardon me for settling in here with you Son :-)

Well, Robin, you know what I say:
"Some day the whole world will walk like us". Just look around you there's someone new joining us everyday :-)

I'll be happy to gimp with you, again.

After the 2nd or 3rd fracture it just becomes a real pain in the ass; especially having to tell the dam story over and over again.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Surfer Boy would've gotten the irony for sure, and I'm experience this fragment of cosmic convergence through his eyes.

I do wonder, what would old dear RH be saying if it was somebody else who displayed a similar case of mind-bogglingly poor judgment and execution at a public BASE event? Would he be less prone to rip into them if they were badly injured (or dead)? Nope, of course not.

Oh, wait, he's been reborn as a nice guy nowadays. . . right. . . I'm just dating myself remembering all the horrible, cruel, manipulative, insensitive things he has done over many years. I should join in the group-hug and get with BASE 2004.

Anyway, yeah, heal up and all that crap. You've still got a date with destiny so we'd hate to see you get off so easy. Luv and kisses from your old pal, can't wait to see you soon. . .

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

Ask Jason if he would let you take a Tri 135 with a sail slider off the bridge next Saturday...
Memento Audere Semper

Get well Robin. Sorry to hear about that.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

The difference here is that this was an organized public event. One in which the object was EXTREMELY challenging and one in which we already had a tragedy last year.

I'd argue that it wasn't the place, but it most definitely was not the time to be trying something along those lines. You're entitled to disagree, but that's just my personal feeling.

I agree with you about a time and a place for everything. Public demonstrations are the time to play it a little safer, and put on that happy face. And maybe even jump BASE specific gear.

And yes, ESPECIALLY at this object only one year later.

Thomas

...I went with a 42" ZP PC that I had on hand. This created a 4 second opening because of the larger PC...and took more time to open instead of less.

Why would a larger pilot chute make for a slower opening?

...I got the left toggle popped cleanly but missed the right - grabbing it like an old t-handle toggle on an accuracy canopy.

I've never seen an accuracy canopy up close. What is a t-handle? Can you describe it or maybe a picture?

...and flew the rest of the dive with the right brake still set.

Flew with the right brake set!?! I presume he countered the turn the canopy should have had by using left brake to keep it flying straight. But what about landing? Did he try a right riser, left toggle flare?

Not trying to criticize, just curious.

Why would a larger pilot chute make for a slower opening?

Heavier? Especially if it's ZP with a lot of construction and a hackey handle. Don't know the details.

It was obviously just a stunt gone wrong. Discussions about using BASE-specific gear don't apply, says I. It's not like he used a Tri because he didn't know better. Maybe a different slider and PC could have helped. Whatever. He was trying to BASE a skydiving canopy to get a swoop and put on a show. It's a risky stunt that he's done before. It didn't work this time.

While last year's incident was, IMO, FAR worse than this, it's sort of the same principle. Had it gone right, there'd be more heroic heralding and a lot less bashing. Two years in a row, high risk demos have proven themselves unnecessary and tragic. Maybe the BASE jumping is enough for this event. The public at large, to whom this event really caters, doesn't know any better.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Had it gone right, there'd be more heroic heralding and a lot less bashing

Don't quite agree. If it had gone right then others would have tried it. "Oh it's ok to use a loaded tri for BASE, after all it's a 7 cell and someone already successfully used it..."

I think many of us, both in skydiviging and/r BASE, reach a point where safety is overlooked because things have gone well too many times. We see it everyday. We must keep reminding ourselves that what we do is dangerous and to take all the necessary precautions all the time not just the few jumps after somebody gets busted up or dies.
Memento Audere Semper

I think many of us, both in skydiviging and/r BASE, reach a point where safety is overlooked because things have gone well too many times. We see it everyday.

Complacency kills. Last time I was at the potato bridge, I experienced a sensation I've heard described to me before. You're taking pictures and after everyone exits, you feel like it's your turn and even motion to climb over. Then you realize that you don't have a rig on. You get so used to it working every time, that you don't quite grasp the consequences for such a mistake. :S
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

He landed in a steep boulder patch just above the landing area. There was no flare, the canopy just kind of collapsed there onto the rocks. Again, get well soon Robin.
Adam

Whatever. He was trying to BASE a skydiving canopy to get a swoop and put on a show. It's a risky stunt that he's done before. It didn't work this time.

There were no general admission to the landing area, and way too far down for the crowd to see all the details of what was going on in the landing area. So why try a risky stunt for the few that were going to see it?

Maybe the BASE jumping is enough for this event. The public at large, to whom this event really caters, doesn't know any better.

I stood on that bridge and watched and listened to the general public for almost two days. To them, just watching some one jump off the bridge was excitement enough for them.

This is a very high profile event, and trying some thing new should not be done.

Now I know I'll get flamed, and I have already admitted I don't BASE, but I know Robin, and he was selfish in his actions. What he did cause other BASE jumpers not to be able to jump that day because of the time frame it takes to get an injured jumper out of the landing area. Then the wind came up and no one could jump.

I apologize if my posting here has bothered anyone, since I don't BASE, but being at the event was a wonderful experience for me. Listening and watching some of the best BASE jumpers in the world is an experience I'll never forget.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

This is an unfortunate incident (just like what happened in the hangar in Rantoul two years ago). Had he made it, he would have been a hero. But since he didn't, he's a goat to many?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

When someone talks to Robin be sure to tell him that the folks at the WFFC are pulling for him. I just got done talking to Bernice, and reading this thread to her because ( as usual ) she is on the road, and doesn't have access to a computer. We want Robin to know that we are pulling for him, and send whatever karma and prayers we can send in his direction! beth
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

remembering all the horrible, cruel, manipulative, insensitive things he has done over many years.

Yep, I remember too>:(
It must be Karma Robin:ph34r: What goes around comes around buddyB|

Had he made it, he would have been a hero.

To who?

B|

exactly

I wish the best to anyone injured, get well soon and recover quickly, I feel for people injured, but for gods sake...........

I feel a complete arse getting injured the way I did.............. but from what I have read I have to admit I ask ............. "wtf?"

Had he made it, he would have been a hero.

I doubt that. I'd bet that had he made it he still would have gotten a slap on the wrist and a stern talking to from Jimmy or Marta.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I am really surprised that no one has brought up the fact that a 135sqft can hardly fly with an inflated 42" PC. I had a collaspe on a Raven 3 due to a 50" PC and slightly aggresive control. It is way too much drag. Me thinks ya got steered wrong on PC size by a well meaning jumper as well.
Take care,
Get well,
space

Have to agree with Zennie here, big time.

Let's face it, the new wave philosophy in BASE is to provide positive examples of why our sport should be legal in more places. It looks especially bad when someone, let alone a veteran of many years, tries a stunt of this nature. It only provides legal ammo for those who are opposed to legalizing BASE sites. Perhaps the most frustrating thing about Robin's accident, is that he is a veteran of BASE. If he chose to do this at a quiet site with himself and a few friends, I can't say that I would support this type of stunt, but I would not cast scrutiny upon it.

I am new to BASE, but I know from reading this forum that this stunt was selfish and poorly timed.

. . .get well soon Robin.

J.P.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about Robin's accident, is that he is a veteran of BASE.

I appreciate and respect the fact that he has a low BASE number and started 'back in the day', but how many jumps does he have in total?

To me a veteran is someone who has not only jumped for a long time, but also jumped regularly in that time.

Will