badenhop

Robin Heid injured on BASE jump

I appreciate and respect the fact that he has a low BASE number and started 'back in the day', but how many jumps does he have in total?

To me a veteran is someone who has not only jumped for a long time, but also jumped regularly in that time.

Will

I have always been someone not to judge someones experience by jump numbers.

I agree that jumping regularly and keeping skills in order is required, but asking "jumps in total" to me is not a guage of experience.

I know of one guy with only 150 jumps who has been in the sport for around 8 years, (althought I question his sheep relationships!) but I put him as more experienced than someone with 200 jumps in 2 years with most of them from the legal span........... or as you suggest someone with 100 jumps back in the day and not more since apart from a few jumps here and there..............

Its very hard to guage experience in BASE - there are so many aspects that you can be skillful in one and not in others......

I get your point Will, I know some UK "veterans" who were probably in their day "forefathers" but now when one of them looks at my tailgate and says "what the fuck" they aint someone who has progressed.........

My point, jump numbers alone is no guage of experience......... knowledge and experience in jumping various objects is more of a guage, and this comes with time..........

Hey man, i dont know what I am trying to say.......... I cant even walk, so who am i to say anything............

To me a veteran is someone who has not only jumped for a long time, but also jumped regularly in that time.

For Merriam-Webster this is what a”Veteran means;
Main Entry: vet·er·an
Pronunciation: 've-t&-r&n, 've-tr&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin veteranus, from veteranus, adjective, old, of long experience, from veter-, vetus old --
1 a : an old soldier of long service b : a former member of the armed forces
2 : a person of long experience in some occupation or skill (as politics or the arts)
take care,
space

knowledge and experience in jumping various objects is more of a guage, and this comes with time..........

Sure, but this only comes if you are out there jumping regularly (and yes, not limiting yourself to one object). I believe currency is important. By your reasoning someone who jumps rarely but jumps hard-core objects is experienced. Personaly the guys I look up to and turn to for advice are the ones who jump whatever they can get. They do the easier jumps regularly, but they don't shy away from more challenging jumps.

I watched the guys who had loads of 4 to 5 second slider up experience (from UK's most jumped object) in Switzerland. They were kicking ass there because they had done so many of the 'easy' jumps in the UK. I think the more 'easy' jumps I do now the more confidence I have when I do the more challenging jumps.

I agree that jump numbers are not everything, but they are important. And I do also agree with you that the types of jump made is also important.

Maybe if you weren't so allergic to sliders and static lines you might feel different about a lot of objects.:P:D

Will

2 : a person of long experience in some occupation or skill (as politics or the arts)

I agree. :)

By your reasoning someone who jumps rarely but jumps hard-core objects is experienced.

This is where the fine balance comes into it, some regular jumping is required to keep up skills and knowledge and experience, but I think the jumping of various technical objects is going to progress skills faster than banging off a few more jumps from 1 easy object........ I agree that jumping rarely is not going to increase experience in any shape or form..........

Personaly the guys I look up to and turn to for advice are the ones who jump whatever they can get. They do the easier jumps regularly, but they don't shy away from more challenging jumps.

without a doubt, a more rounded and more open approach to jumps is surely the way forward........ but sadly many people get stuck into doing things they are comfortable with....... this means no disrespect to people doing such things - but in the reference of gaining experience I think can make people stale.

I watched the guys who had loads of 4 to 5 second slider up experience (from UK's most jumped object) in Switzerland. They were kicking ass there because they had done so many of the 'easy' jumps in the UK. I think the more 'easy' jumps I do now the more confidence I have when I do the more challenging jumps.

again it goes back to having a range rather than numbers............

I agree that jump numbers are not everything, but they are important. And I do also agree with you that the types of jump made is also important.

I think we can agree, that bascially numbers of a limited range of jumps does not mean as much toward experience and knowlege as a more rounded and larger range of jumps and objects...........

again, BASE experience is hard to guage,

Maybe if you weren't so allergic to sliders and static lines you might feel different about a lot of objects.

well when I return next year to jumping, 1) I will be going ahead to experience more slider up jumps, 2) I maybe SL'ing (with the help of friends) some of the jumps I used to freefall...........

amazing how your focus changes sometimes hey!!! :P

be cool dude............

Oh and to annoy others "be safe!" - :D

PS) this is getting way off topic.......... feel free to split TA! :P

PS) this is getting way off topic.......... feel free to split TA!

Ax or chain-saw? B|

becours im a dane i take it backwards:P
from Mac´s post

I agree that jumping rarely is not going to increase experience in any shape or form..........

i do agree that a jumper jumping the same object all the time aint genneral experienced,BUT he truly will be experienced in that object and the ways it can be jumped...

Now back to Screamer

Personaly the guys I look up to and turn to for advice are the ones who jump whatever they can get. They do the easier jumps regularly, but they don't shy away from more challenging jumps.

Who also will be the most experienced jumpers you can find...

Maybe if you weren't so allergic to sliders and static lines you might feel different about a lot of objects.

it depends,becourse you can(as i somehow has)deside to do most of 1 disipline and nearly not knowing anything about the other,but you cant tell that thouse people whether they only do slider ups or down cant be experienced..I do agree that WE(us that do that)cant be looked at as genneral experienced,but some people out there do knows alot about one of thouse things and they are experienced in that way...

Also as we talk experience,i can only apel that people(like me)who dont have allaround knowledge,eiter becourse they dont bother or if they just dont know were to learn from shouldnt Mentoring any(what i say is that you should be genneral experienced to be a mentor..)

sliders???:S i thourght this were BASE and not skydiving:P(ok flame away:ph34r::D)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Nicknitro 71, I would love to see you be the one to make every jumper pop thier packjob at the exit point and point out EXACTLY what kind of canopy they are jumping, and then repack it to your satisfaction. If you have ever been to a bridge day,(or any other gathering/boogie) you know how frustrating B.A.S.E. jumpers can be when questioned about what thier doin and what they got goin on inside the container. Bridge Day is 6 hours. GoFast Games are 3 full days. Please don't confuse the two. NOT trying to sound elitist at all, just saying that B.A.S.E. events are still young and we are all learning. Massive LOVE to the NEW.R.G. Please put on the best show possible, we all benefit from good judgement.

Hanky!!!!
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

...I went with a 42" ZP PC that I had on hand. This created a 4 second opening because of the larger PC...and took more time to open instead of less.

Why would a larger pilot chute make for a slower opening?

...I got the left toggle popped cleanly but missed the right - grabbing it like an old t-handle toggle on an accuracy canopy.

I've never seen an accuracy canopy up close. What is a t-handle? Can you describe it or maybe a picture?

...and flew the rest of the dive with the right brake still set.

Flew with the right brake set!?! I presume he countered the turn the canopy should have had by using left brake to keep it flying straight. But what about landing? Did he try a right riser, left toggle flare?

Not trying to criticize, just curious.

Russell,

I really just acted as the messenger in the case of this thread; Robin wanted me to take a statement from him and post it to the board and I did that. I'm not going to get involved in a debate over whether or not his choices, actions or memories are sound, proper or accurate. I do believe there is enough information presented here by persons with the requisite experience to glean the correct answers to your questions.

That said, I do hope Robin heals quickly. He's got a long, hard row to hoe.

Gardner

P.S. congrats on pBASE #1. Awesome! Next year we'll let you get on the hanging bar first, then we'll push you out another 10 feet further before you begin your exit sequence.

Sorry to hear about Robin's injury.
I may not have agreed with all his political stands, but I respected his courage.
Never saw his cruel side.

Now Robin, be a good puppy and HEAL!

Is Robin still in the hospital? Or is he with his mom or out in Calif. with his wife?

What are the doctor's saying about his foot/ankle?

Thanks for the updates.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

EDIT: I guess speaking my mind will offend some of you, so I've removed some of this post. I've experienced some things that have shaped my comments about organized base events, especially when working with certain groups in the past. There is a great deal of knowledge, planning, and execution that is necessary to pull off such an event. Hopefully, we can all learn from the mistakes of the past.

I wish Robin a fast recovery and nothing but the best.

PS. How many jumps were made last year, and this year, at the GF Games?

PPS. Gear checks happen LONG before arriving at the event. It is critical that each jumper submit details of their canopy and harness, and that the organizer contact any jumper with equipment that is inadequate before the event begins.

Bridge Day is 6 hours. GoFast Games are 3 full days. Please don't confuse the two.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

post deleted.

No offense... really. I just think maybe we're all jumping the gun.

Let's step back and take a deep breath.

Personally, I don't think there's any competition between the two events. Let's sleep on it and maybe take it to pm/email for now.

Gardner

p.s. not sure on those numbers. I'll research and try to find out. But if it's your intent to use it in a comparative manner... once again - apples/oranges

Jason I'm sorry but I MUST take issue with your "serious lack of gear-checking at the exit point" statement.

I agree.

Again, these are totally different events with different classes (difficulty-wise) of objects and different classes (experience-wise) of jumpers.

The GoFast event was ONLY open to experienced BASE jumpers. With that experience came a certain assumption of knowledge and personal responsibility.

Bridge Day is a mix of both experienced jumpers and first-timers. So more rigorous gear-checking in that environment makes more sense.

This really is apples & oranges.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Nope, I'm working to get Bridge Day extended to at least 2-3 days and could use the information on jump numbers to show the Bridge Day Commission. Any info would be appreciated.

p.s. not sure on those numbers. I'll research and try to find out. But if it's your intent to use it in a comparative manner... once again - apples/oranges

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only