BASE813

The BASE Zone

Just curious,

What are peoples thoughts with this forum?

I have always been of the thought that BASE should not be taken to skydivers, skydivers should seek out BASE. With this in mind why should there be a BASE jump forum on what is really a Skydiving site?

Yes you may argue that it is "related" but I think if you think hard enough there are many other "related" sports but they dont get their own forum - if you want to looking into those sports you go to sites specifically for them.

Yes you may argue that "its easier for newbies to ask questions" - fucks sake, learn to roll with the punches and dont take things personally - no one said BASE would be easy so why wrap people in cotton wool and be worried if you offend people - if you dont have the drive to get past the difficulties in finding out information impersonally from the net then maybe its not the sport for you then! People are being wet-nursed too much.

Just interested in others thoughts.....

Do people talk about skydiving on here too ? ;)

man...there oughta be a law an stuff.

I don't think you can ever severe the links with skydiving, unless you take the underground route.
However, having two sites playing the same song sometimes creates a little confusion and can waste time.

I think until BLiNC's new format is sorted, the camp is still going to be split.

I would like to know what Sangiros thoughts are on this ? HH ?

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I have always been of the thought that BASE should not be taken to skydivers, skydivers should seek out BASE. With this in mind why should there be a BASE jump forum on what is really a Skydiving site?

Yes you may argue that it is "related" but I think if you think hard enough there are many other "related" sports but they dont get their own forum - if you want to looking into those sports you go to sites specifically for them.

Thats a very friendly and helpful attitude!

Kinda relates to my point I was making on localism. I have greatly enjoyed asking q's here, learning a lot over the net from all you BASErs. But I agree with BASE813.

But what other sports are more closely related to skydiving than BASE?! Sorry man, I agree with you on the rest, but thats ridiculous.

On the one side BASErs say Skydiving is a REQUIREMENT for BASE. Then you say that there are other sports more closely related, and skydiving should not be seen as having anything to do with BASE? Would you care naming a few sports?

Skydiving - jumping out of things from very high
BASE - jumping OFF of things much lower

in both activities you get your ass saved by a parachute, small or big.

How can you argue that these are not closely related? I think if you dont want this forum here, then dont talk here!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

The internet makes everything potentially very easy; I'm not sure that having a forum here makes it easier still.

Anyway, as far as taking BASE to skydivers, I think a lot of the skydiving related DVDs do that very well! :P

As for posting here and getting info, a number of newbies/wannabies (like me) have posted and, maybe because of their differing attitude/way of posting, had varying levels of success. So I think it's self regulating to a degree - if someone is perceived to have the wrong attitude, no-one is going to help them willingly. General chit-chat will always be in the public domain anyway.

Well, that's the way I see it anyway...
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

But what other sports are more closely related to skydiving than BASE?! Sorry man, I agree with you on the rest, but thats ridiculous.

In general, I've found that the more experienced a BASE jumper is, the more likely they are to feel that BASE and skydiving are relatively unrelated. There are other things that effect those feelings (notably average exit altitude), but I think that BASE experience is the biggest one.

I'm not trying to say that all experienced/inexperienced BASE jumpers think this or that. Just making an observation about the general trends I've seen in the last 5 years.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sports 'related' to skydiving could mean:
Flying, (as in a jumpship) Paragliding and even drag car racing to an extent.. :)
Mac didn't say they're closely related, just 'related'.. as the forum itself states up there on the left.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I voted to keep it, simply because if it weren't for skydiving, I wouldn't BASE. I can't think of another related sport that can say the same (ie: parachute experience is in general, a necessity). I say that with extreme caution, note I said 'in general.'

I do not understand you motivations for this thread. Yes BASE and skydiving are not the same and never should be confused as being the same. They are very different. But if you don't like this forum, why are you here? For sure this forum wouldn't be worth anything if all the BASE jumpers up and left. But most humans are into communications and conversing here is just another way to express our individual experiences and ideas amongst ourselves.

Forums like this helps newbies like myself understand the mindset of the BASE jumper better so that I act appropriately when I'm in the BASE environment.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yes you may argue that it is "related" but I think if you think hard enough there are many other "related" sports but they dont get their own forum

BASE and Skydiving are more related than Skydiving and anything else. You see BASE on all kinds of skydiving videos, it uses similar equipment, the canopies are deployed the same way, there is generally a freefall--deployment--opening-- parachute ride-- landing.

Oh I agree that it's not the same thing, but it is a derivative. If it weren't for skydiving, BASE wouldn't have become a big part of my life. It's improved my rigging skills, parachute flying skill, body awareness. Never have I been delusioned it was the same or easy or safe.

So regardless of whether it's the same, it's related. Being a skydiver does not mean you can BASE jump. but if you're a BASE jumper chances are you already can skydive and the few people that don't skydive would/could learn pretty quickly.

Mac, I wonder what you're goal is here? I skydive and BASE and see nothing wrong with having this site. Take a look at BLiNC and notice Tom's a moderator over there as well as here. There must be some understading. I want BLiNC to survice just as much as the next guy and certainly use the site still.

I suppose you do have a point that BASE should be seperated but think of this. How often do you see BASE rigs being packed at at a Dropzone? Unless it's taboo, it's fairly often in some areas. How often are BASE canopies taken out of a plane? -ok.. not that often but they should be-- I just watched a buddy of mine fly his several times in a row to cross train his accuracy landings and practice the canopy tricks used in object avoidance.

The biggest difference is often mentality. People think skydivers are crazy, skydivers think BASE jumpers are crazy. While I don't disagree with either group, I do feel it's a matter of understanding and allowing an open mind. It's not natural progression... it's just a different avenue.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Forums like this helps newbies like myself But most humans are into communications and conversing here is just another way to express our individual experiences and ideas amongst ourselves.
understand the mindset of the BASE jumper better so that I act appropriately when I'm in the BASE environment.

BLiNC has the same newbie forum so new questions can be asked and addressed accordingly. And the BLiNC Moderators are some of the most experienced BASE Jumpers in the world. And everyone of them has a personal drive to keep everyone safe, and promote base.

Skydiving might be similiar, and a pre-requisite to BASE, but it is NOT BASE Jumping.
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

I am a skydiver. I have never done a BASE jump. All the same I am very interested in BASE, and like reading posts on the BASE forum. I agree they are not the same thing but since they are related I think this BASE forum on dropzone.com is ideal. Who is most likely to get into BASE? Skydivers. This site seems to be a place that a lot of skydivers go so I think it all fits.

I am a skydiver. I have never done a BASE jump. All the same I am very interested in BASE, and like reading posts on the BASE forum. I agree they are not the same thing but since they are related I think this BASE forum on dropzone.com is ideal. Who is most likely to get into BASE? Skydivers. This site seems to be a place that a lot of skydivers go so I think it all fits.

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=6

Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

ok. Fair points I guess. The reason I would say not though, is that surely as someone who wants to get into BASE and research it then searching 1 place for all your questions is better than having all the answers spread out over two places?

I would have thought a central place / board totally dedicated to BASE would be more ideal for research? so with this in mind why is it a bad thing to ensure skydivers looking into BASE have no misconception of where to look - a BASE dedicated place?

Yes this place touches on BASE and is very handy for skydivers who are here due to the skydiving forum.............. but is it actually that beneficial to spread the sport over two forums for those people to research and review? When ever question is asked you can search BLiNC and everytime come up with many answers to the question.............

Just me throwing out some thoughts for people to dicsuss?! - no big deal..... just fucking windy!

...surely as someone who wants to get into BASE and research it then searching 1 place for all your questions is better than having all the answers spread out over two places?

>>Who's to say that even if you go to BliNC to ask questions you're going to get any kind of help outside of helpful moderators?

I voted yes, but I don't read this forum for the standard reasons. I personally get a kick out of how seriously you guys take yourselves.I've never seen such an intense group of people. I guess I just don't have the energy to spend half of my life running around in the dark, and the other half making sure no-one finds out about it. I'd love to make some base jumps, but the reward just does'nt seem worth the effort.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

got a kick out of your post - how true.

as for your statement, "I'd love to make some base jumps, but the reward just does'nt seem worth the effort."

Unless you enter the tiger's den, you cannot take the cubs. - japanese proverb

gardner

man who fart in church sit in own pew.
Ancient chinese proverb
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

sorry mate you havnt jumped for too loong time...

I think this place is perfect for newbies like me inkluded(aslong im under 200jumps atleast i considder myself as a newbie).I can post here and get answeres right away,look at Blinc and the newbie forum there.. it takes aloong time to get answeres and its often the same person that answeres there(and I would like different oppinions).

Did you suddenly forget when you started BASE??I rember the hard time ou talked about,why give newbies the same hard time as you?
I dont think its fair,and i think its a dangerus game..If a person who wants to BASE can read at different places about how to get started the right way,then most(hopefuly)will choose the right way...

Its kind of sounds like you have alot against skydivers,and i dont understand why..They have a different sport which they like,we like BASE and thats it...

you got it,you probaly dont like it,lets go jump,its more fun:PB|

Hope you ok mate,get your arse out do some stuff:)

mincer...(that aint a attack,he loves to be called that:ph34r::D)

Stay safe smoke it low
im fucking borred here aswell>:(

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

....but the reward just does'nt seem worth the effort.

---never pet a burning dog---

you say that now... just wait till or if you make one... then tell us what you think....
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

you probably don’t like it

Not at all - I like them all............. why do you think I stick my neck out publicly under my own name? I may try and spark some controversial idea - but it does not mean I am saying "I am right"...... but out of all the people that voted against it I am the only person to post why I can see that way of possible thought - & under my own name...........

Perhaps instead of shooting the messenger perhaps question why others think this way…

I wanted to know if people wanted this forum – and they way I have done this is to put my name to the thought – it’s the way I do things that’s all……… look deeper than the text on the screen as its not always as clear cut as the writing on the wall…..

All in all mate and in the scheme of things it’s worthless and meaningless and not worth the server space it’s written on.......... in a few weeks no one will give a fuck anyway…… so who fucking cares………

The only thing that matters is the ground rush - all other things are incidental.

Keep it low and antagonistic………

why do you think I stick my neck out publicly under my own name?

becours you dare,i respect you for that,and thats probaly why i think your a cool guy..

Perhaps instead of shooting the messenger perhaps question why others think this way…

sorry mate i saw it as you didnt like this forum,that were what i were Q about

in a few weeks no one will give a fuck anyway…… so who fucking cares………

Actualy i think there are.... since this forum started it has taken alot of discuss if it were right or wrong,i think it will continiue..

The only thing that matters is the ground rush

yup...:PB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hi,

I'm not a BASE jumper and I don't intend to be one, but I read the posts at "The BASE Zone" on a regular basis.

In my opinion I would like "The BASE Zone" to remain at Dropzone.com forums... the name tells it all: "The BASE Zone"... so I don't see any problem of confusion with "Skydiving"...

After all, you guys (BASE jumpers) use a parachute, don't you? :)

The big difference is that skydivers use aircrafts (planes, helicopters, balloons, etc.) to jump from and those are not fixed (static) objects... they are moving (even balloons are not completely static)... on the other hand, BASE jumpers jump from fixed objects (B.A.S.E.)... but they jump and they use a parachute... at least for now :S.

Keeping this Zone is also a way to educate and to avoid misunderstandings regarding BASE jumping, of course respecting always the common sense rules that you guys have regarding things as simple as not to mention places, showing photographs that would allow to identify a place, or so.

You guys are a community... you have a number to identify your achievement: BASE XXX... anyone with common sense knows that and there's nothing to be done against... actually, that's not the issue here.

By removing this Zone here, the problem you refer to won't get solved by itself... actually I think it could even get worse, as that "gray" zone between skydiving and BASE would persist and the misunderstandings would probably get bigger... after all, regardless this BASE Zone at the dropzone.com forum continues or not, you can always have your restricted groups where you allow only those you wish.

So far, I have found this BASE Zone educational, have learnt a lot more about BASE and BASE jumpers, and I see no reason to remove it from dropzone.com at least until you BASE jump with a parachute.

Even if all the BASE jumpers would agree to remove this BASE Zone here, would you be able to forbidden someone else to talk about BASE? Probably not. I by keeping it here, you áre able to remain in control of the talk and discussion. It's better to be an insider and remain in charge...

For example, if you ask me if it would be adequate to have a BUNGEE jumping forum here, I would say "NO"... they jump, and from fixed objects, but they don't use a parachute... and I'm not calling them BASE jumpers... or skydivers either.

I think the final outcome of having this BASE Zone here is far better than the final outcome without it... this is not BLiNC and everybody reading here (at least those more regular on that) knows it.

For example, CReW is here at dropzone.com forums and the problem never came up... they skydive out from the airplane, but when they come through the door most of them come already with their PC in their hands to through out... it's a different type of skydiving... their skydives have very little freefall (most of the times)... the same as for Accuracy... there are many events regarding Parachuting that don't have too much skydive... on the other hand their purpose is more headed towards the canopy control work rather than the body control while freefalling...

For example paraglider pilots are not skydivers... or parachutists... or BASE jumpers... because they don't jump... they leave from their exit points with their paragliders already inflated and ready to start flying as soon as they "take-off"... the canopies they use are not parachutes in the strictus sensus of the word... a parachute is a canopy to stop your freefall, even when that freefall is one second... even with static line you have a parachute deployment and you achieve a certain rate (speed) of freefall (a small one, but still one...)... while paragliders are not made to stop a fall but rather they are done specifically to glide and remain flying, sometimes for hours, something that is not achievable with parachutes.

I would say that this dropzone.com are "wider" related wuth "Parachuting" rather than just "Skydiving" itself.

By removing this BASE Zone, I think that both the BASE community and dropzone.com will get poor, because it would be lost an opportunity to "educate"... after all, most of us come to these forums to learn... not to through stones to each other... and when this last happens, there is a moderator, who is in charge to keep things of track according to the goals that have led to its creation.

It's just my opinion and sorry for posting here as I'm not a BASE jumper.

Take care out there and...

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

I voted to keep it.

It's not under any Skydive Discipline group. It's in it's own category : related sports

us "whuffos" or curious can get information about a very interesting and fascinating topic.

and we aleady lost the talk back :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

man who fart in church sit in own pew.
Ancient chinese proverb

and for a talk back type of reply......

"Man who tell too many light bulb jokes, burn out soon."

That, or ....
"Man with hole in his pocket, feel cocky all day."

Next post I will address this issue at hand.
BASE jump. Open low. Pack one chute, no reserve. (there, that keeps it kind of topical.)
That, and this is a BASE jumping discussion forum.

Thomas

Yes you may argue that "its easier for newbies to ask questions" - fucks sake, learn to roll with the punches and dont take things personally - no one said BASE would be easy so why wrap people in cotton wool and be worried if you offend people - if you dont have the drive to get past the difficulties in finding out information impersonally from the net then maybe its not the sport for you then! People are being wet-nursed too much.

Yes. Toughen up, or get out. This is not a light sport, and should not be coddled to fit the thin-skinned. It used to be (I can't really say, I'm a newer generation BASE-r.) tougher to get into this sport, and much much more homework was needed. That, or MUCH more risk was taken to get into it. I don't think Carl B. read too many internet sites looking into how to jump XXXX (Site name deleted) when he was making his first BASE videos.

Some of these crazy mo-fos died trying to perform the "ACT". Why belittle them by handing it on a silver platter to anybody?
Yes, the info is out there, and anybody can read it. (including NPS and Police), but why puss it down so much that it is PC?
I do like this forum, but if it dissappeared, I would chalk it up to another "Skydiving website" (NO offense HH), just that BASE is not, and will not ever be mainstream. Least I hope not.

And yes, that is why it is not in the X-games. It will never mainstream, or I hope it doesn't. It is not right to wander off in the middle of the night and go huck you body at the earth, depending on ONE parachute to save you.
And for those that think different.....
TRY A SOLO JUMP
no ground crew, and noone that knows where you are.
Then, tell me how much it is like skydiving. This is REALLY dangerous shit that is occurring. Why downplay it like it isn't?
I know, contradictions....contradictions...
One last thing before I sign off (for you light skinned people)

:)

Thomas