KMonster

What type of job outside of BASE?

My father thinks everyone that BASE jumps is a drop out who likes to "make funny faces and cool hand signs." I tried explaining to him that BASE equipment doesn't advance by having a bunch of retards cut and sew fabric together. It takes innovative thinkers and engineering. Some BASE jumpers actually do have degrees and are employed, contrary to what he might believe. (He shows the common - and inaccurate, view of the BASE society). It made me curious as to what type of jobs BASE jumpers have when they are not off BASE jumping. Hence, the poll...any input would be much appreciated, I'm just trying to get a sample of people out there, thank you.

Please add construction workers and unemployed welfare slacker. We have plenty of the latter around here. They won't be responding to your poll because they have no computer and no job.

Does THIS POST look familiar?;)

Edit: Note that the last two Bridge Day's had an average age of 36 with over 1100 skydives and 60+ BASE jumps each. Females accounted for 12.2% of all jumpers. Cya.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I still find the prevalence of computer/engineer types intriguing.

My personal take is that we tend to be gear-heads (and sometimes social misfits... heh) and BASE sort of caters to that.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

And actually, just to follow-up & sort of echo 554, polls of this sort are probably slightly skewed toward computer/engineer types because we are computer geeks as well.

So an internet-based poll will probably be omitting a sizable cross section of non-computer-oriented types.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

You haven't lived until you've been a Union Sheet Metal Worker :|
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Because this sport requires money to go places and have fun, I work as a Paralegal...hey, really, I do all the work and the attorneys get all the money, what can I say.

I also have my rigger's ticket for the pocket cash. And, I built my own base rig before I got my ticket...hehehe! Jumped it for almost the 2nd time at BD 2003...got my ticket on October 13...love that number! Should have had the ticket 3 years ago, waited in spite of my mentor...guess I spited myself in reality. Hopefully I'll be doing the Master's ticket next year.

Special Kaye...alias Easterpig1

I'm a Software Engineer, the other BASE jumpers in my area are:

a Union Iron Worker
a Machinist
a Postal Worker in a mail sorting plant
a Foreman for a concrete contractor

Because this sport requires money to go places and have fun, I work as a Paralegal...hey, really, I do all the work and the attorneys get all the money, what can I say.

Does it really? All it requires for me is a local A, gas for my truck, and a rig. I'm a full-time student, and BASE is def cheaper than skydiving.

I also have my rigger's ticket for the pocket cash. And, I built my own base rig before I got my ticket...hehehe! Jumped it for almost the 2nd time at BD 2003...got my ticket on October 13...love that number! Should have had the ticket 3 years ago, waited in spite of my mentor...guess I spited myself in reality. Hopefully I'll be doing the Master's ticket next year.

You know that you have to have at least 3 years experience as a senior rigger before getting your masters correct?

I own my own medium sized HVAC business. We do repairs, replacements, and new installations of heatung and cooling systems. I am also a very techy kind of person, I like knowing how stuff works, and typically try to gain all the knowledge I can about something before I do it. I remember as a kid, every time I got a new toy, I'd go into my room, lock the door and quiety disassemble it to find out what made it work. I could usually even get it back together!

Others in my area have every sort of job imaginable, very diversified. I guess in my area, the base jumpers are fairly "normal" people. You would never suspect any of us round here to be the outlaw type... lol

Ganja

You would never suspect any of us round here to be the outlaw type... lol

no, never...

You know that you have to have at least 3 years experience as a senior rigger before getting your masters correct?

(Actually, it says you have to have 3 years of experience as a rigger. There are people who have gotten their 3 years experience and performed the required 200 packjobs all while under supervision of another certificated rigger. They still have to pass the written exam, but then they are eligible to bypass the Senior Rigger level and go straight to their Master Rigger Oral and Practical.)

See you in May!

Mark

Brain fart :S. You're right I forgot. C ya in May!

I remember as a kid, every time I got a new toy, I'd go into my room, lock the door and quiety disassemble it to find out what made it work. I could usually even get it back together!

Nice description, I was the same way. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The base jumpers in our area are all well establised and have good jobs. I personally chose a carear in firefighting, while one friend is a retired steel worker who just turned 60.

:)
Interesting topic.

I am a relief manager / supervisor for a multi billion dollar industrial company. Relief because it allows me to both take lots of time off to pursue my other business and personal interests, and I can still pursue a career.

Ambition - I want to be a travelling bum.

Reality - father, husband, career position as above, investor, run several small private businesses, charity / volunteer worker p/t, several university degrees, traveler, etc etc.

My jumping colleagues are:
- yes IT is VERY popular
- radiologist
- MD - doctor
- butcher
- rigger (movies / industrial)
- skydive bum / instructor
- research scientist
- construction worker
- government analyst
- electronic R&D engineer
- building construction manager
- motivational speaker
- musis recording studio
- etc

We come from ALL parts of society. But there seems to be many involved in contracting, business, and shift type work where we can take time off to pursue our true love ;).

I know at least 2 jumpers who work some serious government jobs.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I build towers:o;):D:ph34r: during the day so I can jump with cool people like Katie and Chad at night.B|

I am Flight Instructor, and I Bartend four days a week. I live in San Francisco, A flight job alone does not pay the bills. yet.

Airline pilot.

So I can travel around the world with my rig, meet some cool basejumping people, and a lot of nice objects like I don't have at home...

BTW, I may be back in TX in june, guys...;)

Fabien
BASE#944

...A friend of mine is proffesional snowboarder and won't get any office job ever because of the dread-locks of waist level lengh.:)
Others are:
-- sales managers
-- manufactures of BASE/skydive gear
-- financial brokers
-- goverments employes
-- architectors
-- IT employes
-- small/middle sized/huge businnes owners
-- skydive club owners:)-- DZ owners:)-- industrial climbers
-- videoeditiors
-- professional basejumpers
-- professional skydivers
-- bank employes
-- PADI or TDI diving instructors
-- drug dealersB|
-- even the spagetti/pasta-making factory owners:S
etc
:P:P:P

And a much more things could be said about temporary or additional jobs of all these people. Or about their education... Or about traditional or X-sports experience and other hobbies...

:PI've got even the short-time experience in strip-dancing while I've been studying in a high-school.
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

I work for one of those large financial institutions in Geneva Switzerland... you know the kind that keep all the money of all the rich, evil bad people around the world. :P

Hey... I stick to the stereotype! I am banker, my house looks like the one "Heidi" lived in and all I eat is scrumptious swiss chocolate... :ph34r:

I'm a Sales Engineer for a software company. My sales reps handle the business and negotiations of the sales cycle and I handle the technical aspects. It comes with most of the benefits of being in sales, minus the huge commission checks. The running joke among me and my colleagues is "We don't make millions...we make millionaires." It's uncanny how much some of my reps make.
-C.

I still find the prevalence of computer/engineer types intriguing.

Remember that in this is 2005. Computer-type jobs are the new burger flippers. Every kid out of high school gets a job doing something with computers.

I'm just glad I got in when it was new so I'm not making the burger flipping wages.