Nightingale

Which Container??

I don't mark up the reflex or racer....I agree they are alittle more of a pain to close they aren't that big a deal......but I charge $10 more for a wings and they are made aware of this prior to me packing it....I call it a pain in the ass tax. I'm not forcing anyone to bring their rig to me, it's all their choice and they are free to go to any other rigger they want to.

I don't mark up the reflex or racer....I agree they are alittle more of a pain to close they aren't that big a deal......but I charge $10 more for a wings and they are made aware of this prior to me packing it....I call it a pain in the ass tax. I'm not forcing anyone to bring their rig to me, it's all their choice and they are free to go to any other rigger they want to.

A rigger that does not charge extra for a Racer but charges extra for a Wings - That is so cool!!! B|
=========Shaun ==========

I put my vote in for Mirage. I think that all the rigs you listed have good pin and riser protection. Thoses were two things that were important to me. I bought my G4 for a few reasons. My dropzone has a great relationship with the company, they have the 'S' series, which means the rig is the short version, they have a quick delivery time, cut in laterals, I have a friend who has been sponsored by them for awhile and I asked him how he felt about the rig (not that that alone was a deciding factor, but he has been jumping Mirage for years and figured he would have some feedback) and I also got a discount because it was a team rig.
I'm not sure what other manufaturers are making short versions of their containers, but that is what I especially love about my Mirage. I'm not that tall, 5'4'', and I love the fact that my rig doesn't hang below my ass. It makes it a very comfortable rig. Cross Countrys are actually fun because I'm just hanging ount in the sky as comfortable as can be!
Like it has already been said, if you ask 10 different people their opinion on equipment, you're going to get 10 different answers...opinions are like assholes...everyones got one.

Blue Ones
Chrissy

~La La Gang Member #2~

I put my vote in for Mirage. I think that all the rigs you listed have good pin and riser protection. Thoses were two things that were important to me. I bought my G4 for a few reasons. My dropzone has a great relationship with the company, they have the 'S' series, which means the rig is the short version, they have a quick delivery time, cut in laterals, I have a friend who has been sponsored by them for awhile and I asked him how he felt about the rig (not that that alone was a deciding factor, but he has been jumping Mirage for years and figured he would have some feedback) and I also got a discount because it was a team rig.
I'm not sure what other manufaturers are making short versions of their containers, but that is what I especially love about my Mirage. I'm not that tall, 5'4'', and I love the fact that my rig doesn't hang below my ass. It makes it a very comfortable rig. Cross Countrys are actually fun because I'm just hanging ount in the sky as comfortable as can be!
Like it has already been said, if you ask 10 different people their opinion on equipment, you're going to get 10 different answers...opinions are like assholes...everyones got one.

Blue Ones
Chrissy

I really like the mirage container, but my pesonal preferences would have me go with some other brand. For yourself however, sounds like you made a great decision.

they have the 'S' series, which means the rig is the short version, they have a quick delivery time, cut in laterals,

I have looked into Mirages for this same "S" series reason as I am very petite - 5 ft. tall. What do you mean by "cut in laterals"? Please explain the difference between that and a Javeling Oddyssey or another rig's laterals.

I have a huge problem with lateral straps not even coiming close to fitting me on anything that I have tried on. I was shown the Jav Odyssey tiniest A-14 by Greg Gasson in Eloy, which came the closest to fitting me. My tiny friend's tiniest Mirage was also almost small enough. I have yet to meet someone as small as me (I have no hips, too), so I can't wait to get a custom-made rig.

on a rig without cut in laterals the lateral webing (bit going horizontally from top of leg straps to bottom of container) go straight to the outside edge of the container.

With cut in latterals they dont go straight to the edge but attach at a point a few inches in from the side. This way you essentially have a webbing belt on which has the rig attached to it. Supposed to be more comfortable and certainly allows far less movement of your rig on your back.

edit: see this PIC

I have looked into Mirages for this same "S" series reason as I am very petite - 5 ft. tall. What do you mean by "cut in laterals"? Please explain the difference between that and a Javeling Oddyssey or another rig's laterals

It is basically the same idea as the Odyssey. I demoed a Javelin and I felt that the laterals made the rig tight and restricting. What I like about the Mirage is they have spandex that hugs your body instead of webbing. Their main lift web is still sewn to the outside of the rig, but they have spandex which cuts in and hugs your body. Kind of hard to explain, maybe someone can find a pic, I couldn't real quick, if I get time I will look some more.

~La La Gang Member #2~

on a rig without cut in laterals the lateral webing (bit going horizontally from top of leg straps to bottom of container) go straight to the outside edge of the container.

With cut in latterals they dont go straight to the edge but attach at a point a few inches in from the side. This way you essentially have a webbing belt on which has the rig attached to it. Supposed to be more comfortable and certainly allows far less movement of your rig on your back.

edit: see this PIC

That's what I thought. Thank you for answering my question. The tiny Javelin that I saw (Blueshrew's) had cut-in laterals, too. :)

I have looked into Mirages for this same "S" series reason as I am very petite - 5 ft. tall. What do you mean by "cut in laterals"? Please explain the difference between that and a Javeling Oddyssey or another rig's laterals

It is basically the same idea as the Odyssey. I demoed a Javelin and I felt that the laterals made the rig tight and restricting. What I like about the Mirage is they have spandex that hugs your body instead of webbing. Their main lift web is still sewn to the outside of the rig, but they have spandex which cuts in and hugs your body. Kind of hard to explain, maybe someone can find a pic, I couldn't real quick, if I get time I will look some more.

That's very interesting info. about the spandex versus the webbing. I'd love to see a pic. Thank you so much.

I recently looked at a small Mirage and their was zero tension on the elastic. It served no purpose on that particular rig. I wonder if it was mis-made with much too long of elastic?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

ok, well I went home and tried my rig on because I got to thinking, I haven't put my rig on in awhile, how do my laterals fit? The 'elastic lumbar support' is actually quite loose. According to the Mirage website 'Elastic lumbar support has been added at the hip to comfortably snug the rig to your lower back without cutting into you.'
I guess I am not sure how this function should actually fit? Maybe due to the fact that the attachment point for the laterals is higher (than other rigs) on the backpad it keeps things snug?
My rig does fit my snug though.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Most sponsored jumpers choose their gear based on what they like, not on who will give them free stuff.

This might be true for the absolute best of the best, such as Airspeed, but I don't think it's true for everyone.

With rigs in particular, most are pretty damn good, so given the opportunity, most skydivers would happily endorse whichever manufacturer happened to offer to scratch their back.

-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

This might be true for the absolute best of the best, such as Airspeed, but I don't think it's true for everyone.

With rigs in particular, most are pretty damn good, so given the opportunity, most skydivers would happily endorse whichever manufacturer happened to offer to scratch their back.

Hmmm, I'd like to ask LouDiamond about that...:P

Lemme put it another way. Every sponsored jumper that I know chose their gear based on what they like.

If you aren't on like Airspeed, then generally you have to approach the manufacturer asking for sponsorship. Manufacturers aren't gonna give sponsored gear to just anyone; you have to let them know exactly how you wearing their gear will sell more gear for them - ie this is what I can do for you if you do this for me.

I went through the same decision making process as anybody else when I was looking to get my current container. It was down to two that were, in my eyes, equal - I stayed at the low end of the price scale because I didn't know what "level" of sponsorship I could get (not every sponsored jumper gets 100% free gear either, most of the time they pay for it at about 50% retail list). One manufacturer was on the west coast (where I was); the other was on the east coast... and that's how I decided who to approach first. The first letter I sent did the trick so I didn't approach the manufacturer of the other container I was interested in.

I do agree that most rigs are pretty damn good, and I know I'd have been happy with anything on the market. But I chose an Infinity before I asked about sponsorship, and I would have bought an Infinity if I hadn't gotten sponsorship.

Supposed to be more comfortable and certainly allows far less movement of your rig on your back.

Unless your rig is already smaller than your back, in which case they're pointless, and can be quite uncomfortable under canopy.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I recently looked at a small Mirage and their was zero tension on the elastic. It served no purpose on that particular rig. I wonder if it was mis-made with much too long of elastic?

Just had a look at the G4 Owners manual. (It's downloadable off their website) On page 18 there are directions for adjusting the elastic lumbar support. The buckle is behind the backpad channel.

I feel like such a geek. I'm reading the manual before my rig gets here...:D

t
It's the year of the Pig.

To tell you the truth, my favorite rig is not up there, but then again you are on the West Coast and the times I have been out there I haven't seen many of them. I jump a Racer, always have and always problably will! But, to tell you the truth, it is about what you feel comfortable in. Try some different harnasses, how they feel in freefall, in the plane and under canopy are all important. The jumpshack has always treated me very well and made me some beautiful rigs. Have fun, don't let anyone put the hard sell on you (some people are more rabid than NASCAR fans when it comes to rig selection) and be cofortable with your decision, then most of all enjoy!
blue skies,

art