Peej

Hornet owners...

Hey guys,

I've just started jumping my own gear, a Mirage G3 with a Hornet 170 in it. I've done about ten jumps in total on my canopy (it has a couple hundred on it - i bought it second hand). I've been taught to pro-pack and nine out of ten jumps have been my pack jobs.

My question is how long do your hornets take to open on a standard pro-pack? I swear mine is taking like 700 to 800 feet.

i'm slowly starting to get used to it but it freaked me out a little the first time - guess i was just used to student gear that tends to slam open.

Any tips on making a hornet open a little faster -without slamming?

many thanks
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Hi, I've done 20 jumps on my Hornet 150. Varied opening, but generally hard and fast. I posted on here about slowing it down and got some good ideas. I roll the whole nose and stuff it in towards the back. The manual says to do this but not roll it at all. What are you doing? I spoke to another Hornet flyer on the weekend and his was opening fast, so he had a hole put in the slider. Its now a sniveller. I can make mine open a lot faster by simply hanging the nose without folding or rolling, and squaring the slider or having the slider sticking out the front quite a bit.

Failing that, I'll swap ya. ***Die with yer boots on

When I first got mine it was opening hard and fast. I now psycho-pack it, really roll the nose, quarter the slider carefully, and now get nice openings. If yours is taking too long to open, I'd say maybe don't roll the nose much. I think a slow opening Hornet is kind of unusual though.....Steve1

From the time you throw out your PC to being in the saddle is 700-800'? Or is it from the time you check altitude? If the latter, it's probably 500-600' openings. 700-800 is not unreasonable, many canopies take that long. I have about 150-200 jumps on various Hornets from a 190 to a 120 - all opened in 500-700', softly. If you want to speed it up, pull the nose out in front of the slider.

Mike

Howsit!!

T, i look forward to your advice on Saturday:)
Darren,

Forgive me if this is confusing but i don't quite have all my canopy/packing terminology down yet :$

I've been pushing the nose right in without rolling it and facing my slider and grommets out to catch wind.

after i get it on the ground i put my knees on the spot where the lines go in, squash the air out of the canopy and while keeping my knees on it i pick the whole canopy up (so it's against my chest) and roll it down towards the ground. then i put the "s" fold in it and stick it in the bag. I don't know if this makes much difference to opening speed but it's the way i've been taught to pack.

I find that it opens lank slowly, i often have to give my back risers a good few tugs to open the end cells properly.

On more than one occasion i've broken off at 4500, tracked till i've heard my 3000 dytter go, waved and pulled and been under a fully inflated canopy during my 2000ft alarm.

A girlfriend of mine packed it after my last jump on Monday and she hung the nose - warning me that it might slam.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I have about 1`30 jumps on my Hornet 150 and I I don't pack it just right it will CRACK open, I roll the nose slighly, and pull the slider all the way to the fron and open it up, the I bring the tail around and put about 6-7 rolls in the tail.
Nowe it opens nicely:)
It has on one occassion opened so fast it scared the shit outa me:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've got 150 jump on my Hornet 170. It opens in about 500-800 feet.
If I fold the nose towards the center and pulling the quartered slider out in front a bit, and roll the tail a bit tight it opens in 800. If I leave the front hanging, push the quartered slider back a bit and just roll the tail lightly, it opens in 300-400 and can give me a little slammer.
Sound like you got sweet opening. :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

>>I spoke to another Hornet flyer on the weekend and his was opening fast, so he had a hole put in the slider. Its now a sniveller. <<

Note to newbies - DO NOT cut a hole in your slider to slow down your openings. Trust me on this.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

My man, bigphil, jumps a 150. He rolls the entire nose together pretty tight (not to where the As cross but are close) and then rolls the tail to secure the canopy. Basically, he packs his canopy the same way I pack (well - he really packs) my Sabre. From what I understand, the Hornet and Sabre are very much alike. So far, our pack jobs have been fantastic except for once when his Hornet opened so fast that the risers cut the shiznit out of his neck. If it wasn't for his helmet, he probably would have lost his left ear. :S
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

>>I spoke to another Hornet flyer on the weekend and his was opening fast, so he had a hole put in the slider. Its now a sniveller. <<

Note to newbies - DO NOT cut a hole in your slider to slow down your openings. Trust me on this.

hahahaha lmao!:D

My Hornet opened anythig BUT slowly. I always felt it was a bit on the brisk side.

With regards to putting a hole in the slider. I fail to see how that will slow the opening. If anything the slider will come down quicker and thus allow the canopy to inflate faster.. ergo faster/harder opening???
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"