The111

Puerto Rico Freefall Fest 2008 photos online

Also, for those of you who did not see it, this is a poster that the DZ hung around town, in bars, etc. B|

I just looked at the poster and it almost brought a tear to my eye to see the level of comfort that is in our sport to see three guys holding hands like that in a beautiful location.. We are truly an enlightened and politically Correct bunch! :S

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I just looked at the poster and it almost brought a tear to my eye to see the level of comfort that is in our sport to see three guys holding hands like that in a beautiful location.. We are truly an enlightened and politically Correct bunch! :S

No wonder why your a "target".......you gay basher :D:D:P
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Thanks for posting them Matt, nice work as always! Now I am really looking forward to Z-flock.. Maybe one of the missing 9-way shots can get filled, I volunteer to fill it!! :P

Scott C.

Not so fast...

That was my slot...

I actually got a bit depressed seeing the missing slot photo, knowing I eventually filled it and that 9 way diamond was completed cleanly before breakoff.:P

My experience for the boogie was "better late than never getting in, but once in, stay in"...

It was a crap load of fun and I am glad I got the experience. I learned a lot.

Previously, most of my jumps were 4 ways and such from Otters, low stuff from balloons (and I have to go to bed because we have a balloon in the morning), and 8 ways from Skyvans... So, I never got to practice being one of the last out, or even being the rear float, on big ways with separation on exit... In fact, I had never gone so fast with a wingsuit before in a dive, the typical flock at home is very slow at the far maxed out end of the range from exit to deployment.

I watched Scott Campos pass me on a jump - I looked at his body position, emulated his body position, and quickly learned a bunch of new skills just by watching...

Anyway - my point is - I learned a lot and I am thankful that everyone allowed me to jump with them. It seems the West Coast (Eloy/Moab boogies and my home DZ) specialize in more playful smaller flocks, so precision slot flying, especially with large separation on exits, are new skills for us (or at least me) to master.

Scott (notsane) was a great load organizer and made me feel part of the group.

I now have a few skills to practice at home.

Not so fast...

That was my slot...

I actually got a bit depressed seeing the missing slot photo, knowing I eventually filled it and that 9 way diamond was completed cleanly before breakoff.:P

Well I have to give a shout out to Matt, where is the Pic??? I do agree though that if your not doing it or have not had any experience with going late it is tough to get it in your head. Glad you learned a lot and with a few weeks to think about it just think of what you can do at Z-flock...

Loose fun flocks can be a kick but I would much prefer a tight slot specific flocks, maybe that comes from a few thousand RW jumps. You can apply lots of RW principles to WS formations...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

You can apply lots of RW principles to WS formations...

Yep, I was thinking that same thing while being in a formation cross referencing.... I could even hear the voices of my AZ Airspeed coaches whispering in my ear, "levels man, watch those levels."

Someone asked me, "Is it like those multi-plane bigways you have been on." My answer was, "no, there you dock and hold on and arch... Here you are flying."

Also, it seems that a few of my freefly friends felt it was too much like RW and said they were not interested in large formations... But never fear, we have some others that are interested.

No flock-n-dock this year for me..... Got other plans that involve other south of the states warm vacations in Spanish speaking lands.

It seems the West Coast (Eloy/Moab boogies and my home DZ) specialize in more playful smaller flocks, so precision slot flying, especially with large separation on exits, are new skills for us (or at least me) to master.

Not to be too nitpicky, but have you looked at a map of the US? When has Arizona, Utah, and Colorado ever been considered "West COAST"? Last time i checked, you've got to be on the ocean to be considered "coast".

"playful smaller flocks" have their place, but only if the dive plan calls for it (or in absence of a dive plan). Otherwise, I'm still baffled at how many people have never made a serious effort to develop slot flying skills (I'm referring to people with >50 wingsuit flights). It's not rocket science (though Yuri may disagree here), just a slight bit of training and effort. My hope for this "world record space race" is that people fill finally stop goofing off and actually take the discipline serious (at least some of the time).

That's not aimed at you Travis, but just a general frustration. There are plenty of exceptions to this, of course, but overall, the lack of skilled flying ability in the "flocking" community is depressing.
Brian Drake

It seems the West Coast (Eloy/Moab boogies and my home DZ) specialize in more playful smaller flocks, so precision slot flying, especially with large separation on exits, are new skills for us (or at least me) to master.

To us here in Europe it seems like Americans are so busy debating who invented what and who did what first and which DZ or group has better skills, that they completely miss the rest of the world who are doing the same or maybe even more advanced stuff (look at French wingsuit boogies).

Not everything organised has a big online presence..but there is more happening then the East Coast/West Coast bitching around which your world seems to revolve;):P

just a general frustration. There are plenty of exceptions to this, of course, but overall, the lack of skilled flying ability in the "flocking" community is depressing.

Dont think its the overal skill level..but more on an individual basis..people would rather do 20 messy 'big' jumps and learn nothing, instead of focussing more on tight 2 way/3 way 'playfull' jumps, learning the essential skills..

But then again...looking at freefly, who have a 5 to 10 year headstart on us in terms of dicipline/size/skills. Headup jumps..bigger and bigger...people just messing about..then after a few years..back to smaller and smaller jumps...more focus on skills....4 way VRW etc. and now the REAL bigway records are finaly coming (with people who already kicked ass in the tight small stuff)

Bigway flocking is the last stop on the ride...not the place to start..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Not everything organised has a big online presence..

I realize this. Obviously there are a lot of "unsung heroes" and even of the stuff that is broadcasted, there is a lot of talent and skill out there.

I should have qualified my gripes by referring to only the "flocking community" that I've met so far. I've flown with probably 40-50 people so far, and I'm still apalled at the number of those (with more than 50 flights) that are essentially MIA after exit. And I'm referring to anything from 4-ways to 15-ways.

but there is more happening then the East Coast/West Coast bitching around which your world seems to revolve

I could care less about East vs West. I was simply amused by three land-locked states being referred to as "West Coast" and had to make a jab. That was the playful part of my post, the rest was just venting.

people would rather do 20 messy 'big' jumps and learn nothing, instead of focussing more on tight 2 way/3 way 'playfull' jumps, learning the essential skills..

I agree, and it's part of my gripe. It's not that hard to develop the "essential skills" for flocking, yet many people can't even be bothered by that small taks.

Bigway flocking is the last stop on the ride...not the place to start..

Amen.

I don't mean to be a crank. I just had some steam to let off. As I said, I am optimistic about the record attempts (with their schedule of skills camps) forcing a lot of unserious people with wingsuits to re-assess their goals and actually work on developing the skills necessary to fly with each other. I'm hoping the general quality of flyers a year from now will be a quantum leap from where we are now.
Brian Drake

Not to be too nitpicky, but have you looked at a map of the US? When has Arizona, Utah, and Colorado ever been considered "West COAST"? Last time i checked, you've got to be on the ocean to be considered "coast".

Dude, the boogies on each side of the country seem to attract people from neighboring states... So, if you wanna knock me for calling our crowd "west cost", it simply was because I observed that the people in PR were mostly from the east side of our pile of rock, and I saw a lot of new faces.

Whatever.:P

I can identify a clear personality difference between drop zones on each side of our pile of rock (USA). I flew in ZHills and remember some different attitudes than what you will see, say, in AZ.

Perhaps we are a bit more laid back???

Or maybe it is just overly emphasised in the wingsuit crowd? I don't know...

So despite being a "west coaster", I still had fun.:P That was the point of my post!:P;)

Otherwise, I'm still baffled at how many people have never made a serious effort to develop slot flying skills (I'm referring to people with >50 wingsuit flights). It's not rocket science (though Yuri may disagree here), just a slight bit of training and effort. My hope for this "world record space race" is that people fill finally stop .

Brian to put things in perspective, wingsuits are still not a big profile facet of skydiving, despite what I would have bet 7 years ago. Even with people that have owned suits for many years. To a large extent there are some jumpers who crank out 700 + jumps a year but only put a wingsuit on 10 maybe 20 of those. Kinda using it as a break from the grind of what they do primarily in the sport . You may know them already but are not aware they fly wingsuits very, very competently. They can hold a slot inverted if they had to. As a matter of chance when they do put on a WS they may prefer to be playful. The sad part is even with the big way opportunities this year it might not be enough to draw them out to join some of the camps.

As an example you and I essentially jump at some of the same DZs yet have never met in person. I personally know of quite a few WS flyers I've never flocked with due to them doing primarily freefly or swooping on the occasions I'm at the DZ.

I should have qualified my gripes by referring to only the "flocking community" that I've met so far. I've flown with probably 40-50 people so far,

As I said, I am optimistic about the record attempts (with their schedule of skills camps) forcing a lot of unserious people with wingsuits to re-assess their goals and actually work on developing the skills necessary to fly with each other. I'm hoping the general quality of flyers a year from now will be a quantum leap from where we are now.

Brian you can not make the assumption that these bigways are appealing to everyone who owns a suit. We know many excellent RW and CReW guys that come out and rockit every weekend on challenging sequential dives ( 20 ways or smaller) who you will never find trying out for a big way for various reasons.

As an example I would guess there are some wingsuit guys that are salivating over the kind of stuff Jarnos got going on in Belgium as opposed to how some of us feel about the upcoming bigways, which they could care less about.

Personally I'm not going to predict the quantum expansion of WS but enjoy what ever developes and the people I will get to fly with in the upcoming camps.

The ability of folks to hold slot in something like a 9-way diamond always amazes me. It realistically requires you to hold yourself at a 3D point that may be moving while paying attention in at least 2 directions. That's why I structure the really big formations with a minimum amount of symmetry (like the chevrons), where a flyer has only one direction to focus their attention in.

The basic tenant of flocking is to fly relative to other people. If you have 4 or 5 similarly sized folks exiting together, flying the flock maxed out is easy. On the other hand, if you have 20 people strung out of an Otter, of all different sizes and suits, then someone either isn't going to be maxed out or they will not be in the formation. It's all about flying relative to each other.

The base has to make a guess on exit whether to be a little slower forward/faster down (for vertical formations) or more maxed out (for flat formations). I say "a guess" because, as base, you can't see anyone behind you to know if they are catching up to the formation, struggling to stay with it or flying in a ball. It's all about setting a rate that's within everyone's comfort zone, if possible.

If your suit can't fly dirty and/or flaps like a trash bag when you close it down a little, it might be time for a different suit. I've watched videos of our big ways where most folks were in a reasonable position; some strecthed out while others were legs-up ... and several suits stood out as flappers, even though the speed was reasonable. Again, it's all about flying relative .... us heavy guys should be wearing the big suits, and you skinny folks should consider a smaller suit for flocks. This isn't exactly news, the RW guys were doing this 30 years ago.

We were trying things just a little differently in PR last week ...

1) Get out as quickly as possible
2) Be stable out the door
3) Visually acquire and dive to the formation; do not move across it EVER
4) Approach your slot from behind or from the side, and on level (for flat positions); from the front left or right (for stacked positions) to avoid the burble
5) RELAX and BREATHE! Start the chant .... Ohm ... Ohm ... Ohm ... don't hold those grippers with your fists, RELAX ... Ohm ... Ohm ....

Scott

1) Get out as quickly as possible
2) Be stable out the door
3) Visually acquire and dive to the formation; do not move across it EVER
4) Approach your slot from behind or from the side, and on level (for flat positions); from the front left or right (for stacked positions) to avoid the burble
5) RELAX and BREATHE! Start the chant .... Ohm ... Ohm ... Ohm ... don't hold those grippers with your fists, RELAX ... Ohm ... Ohm ....

6) Elbow Scott in the thigh?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

We were trying things just a little differently in PR last week ...

Agree with all these statements...but how is that any different from how it has always been? (granted, not how everyone has been doing it for ages)

But its just good old basic RW bigway setup and build, or am I missing something here?

Exit stable, dive, find your sector, line up, level, fly into your slot, fly your slot?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?