JENNR8R

Zoom Zoom...

I've had a Prodigy demo for several weeks and have 14 jumps on it now. Each jump is more fun than the last. My friends on the ground are enjoying watching me zoom past. I may be starting a trend at my DZ. I have to return the demo now, and I think I will be going through withdrawal until my own arrives.

Saturday was the coldest day of jumping. It was in the 30s with fairly high winds. I tried two kinds of gloves, but my fingers were absolutely hurting when I landed. I had to go into a heated room for a while before I could pack. What have you tried that keeps your fingers from getting so cold?

On my last jump I ran into some substantial turbulence during freefall. I don't remember reading about what to do about it. I tried to just relax through it, but at one point almost flipped over. What is the correct reaction when faced with squirrely winds?

Several of my jumps I was over the ideal opening spot at 5,000 feet, waved off, and was in the saddle by about 3,600 feet. I was surprised to be so far away when my canopy opened. I barely made it back. Again the winds were fairly high so I didn't make much progress facing into the wind getting back. Is it normal to continue to travel a long distance during deployment? Was it because of the winds?
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Glad to hear you're having fun Jennifer. I can't help you with the cold problems (never had to deal with that :P) but I can address two of your other concerns.

On my last jump I ran into some substantial turbulence during freefall. I don't remember reading about what to do about it. I tried to just relax through it, but at one point almost flipped over. What is the correct reaction when faced with squirrely winds?

In my opinion it would take a lot of turbulence to feel the effect while in a wingsuit. Our airspeed is so fast that I just don't think it affects us a whole lot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'd guess it's more likely that the shakiness you felt was maybe due to getting tired, especially if it was your last jump of the day. The best way to deal with this is relax and arch and fly a bit less efficiently, or retract your legs a little bit maybe. Your endurance will build over time.

Several of my jumps I was over the ideal opening spot at 5,000 feet, waved off, and was in the saddle by about 3,600 feet. I was surprised to be so far away when my canopy opened. I barely made it back. Again the winds were fairly high so I didn't make much progress facing into the wind getting back. Is it normal to continue to travel a long distance during deployment? Was it because of the winds?

I think your horizontal distance (ground track) covered during deployment while in a wingsuit is negligible. If it seemed that you were in considerably different locations before and after deployment, I would guess one of two things:
1) While flying the wingsuit, you are inaccurately guessing where your groundspot is, perhaps due to looking forward where you are going (not a bad thing!) rather than straight down. When under canopy you look straight down at where you really are and get surprised.
2) You are allowing your canopy to drift unattended while doing post-opening procedures (I realize these are supposed to be minimal in a Prodigy, but on my only jump in the suit I found it took quite a deal of time to undo the wing attachments, I will admit I'm not as familiar with those as I am with my normal zippers). In high winds your canopy could certainly drift a lot in the short amount of time it takes to do post opening procedures, whatever they may be. It is feasible that someone could neglect to navigate their canopy while doing post opening procedures, and then be surprised at where their canopy is when they finish, due to high winds.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Cold hands: I hate to sacrifice the touch and feel by wearing warmer (bulkier) gloves. Most gloves that jumpers wear are porous and so you loose the heat from your hands at 70 mph. I've found the same thing while hunting. Here is a suggestion you can try - wear surgical gloves inside our jump gloves. They will provide a moisture barrier reducing the evaporative cooling effect, they don't provide any insulation. That can be tested by riding a motorcylce or driving with your hand out the window to make sure that you still have dexterity after 2 minutes of exposure.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

If you go to one of the outdoor stores in the mall or to REI you can find some gloves that work pretty good and aren't bulky. They come in different styles but you want to look for ones that say "wind stopper" or "wind blocker" on them. It also helps to choose a pair with a leather palm or a tackified palm.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

In my opinion it would take a lot of turbulence to feel the effect while in a wingsuit. Our airspeed is so fast that I just don't think it affects us a whole lot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'd guess it's more likely that the shakiness you felt was maybe due to getting tired, especially if it was your last jump of the day. The best way to deal with this is relax and arch and fly a bit less efficiently, or retract your legs a little bit maybe. Your endurance will build over time.

Oh, I'm very familiar with the 'chipping' that results when every muscle in my body is contracted, I'm holding my breath, and I'm trying to fly the Prodigy.

I flew into this turbulence, and flew out of it about ten seconds later. The bucking and pitching that resulted reminded me of being in the turbulence I have experienced under canopy at times. It was very different.

If it really were turbulence, and not just fatigue, how should I handle it? Would closing all the wings make me more stable and get out of it faster?

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

In my opinion it would take a lot of turbulence to feel the effect while in a wingsuit.

Agreed. I never felt a significant turbulence in a wingsuit on a skydive, however it does exist somewhere. On some cliff jumps i flew through turbulence that was not only strong enough to be felt, but enough to significantly degrade the glide by ruining the balance.

bsbd!

Yuri.

I would have to say your wrong --- maybe you just never experienced turbulence on one of your jumps like Jenn had on hers.
Think about this-- on every ride to altitude is it calm and smooth........most, but not all........if an airplane which weighs far more than a wingsuit flyer and is going about the same speed forward can feel the effects of turbulence why not a wingsuit pilot?

I know that if flying around or maybe even into clouds by accidentB| there are strong updrafts and downdrafts on either side which can be felt by even the numbest of bodies.

Take into account that you are kind of new at the wingsuit game and still finding your wings----you are probably more focused on feeling the flight than some of us that are chasing a flock, chasing numbers, or going for speed.

Just because flyers on DZ.com haven't flown in turbulence doesn't mean that its not there or that you didn't fly through it-----I would bet that you don't do it very often unless your breaking some FARs

Voodew

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

1) While flying the wingsuit, you are inaccurately guessing where your groundspot is, perhaps due to looking forward where you are going (not a bad thing!) rather than straight down. When under canopy you look straight down at where you really are and get surprised.

It happens even if you are looking down(like you were standing up and looking straight forward) but are at any angle other than perfectly horizontal. AT 4000' a 10 degree angle off vertical can make you think you are 700' off.

Kris.

that shit is funny right there :P

For gloves I like motorcycle gloves as they are made of rabbit (nice and thin hide so you still get a responsive and tactile "feel") plus they are available in gauntlet style so they cover some forearm too!

:D

Just because flyers on DZ.com haven't flown in turbulence doesn't mean that its not there or that you didn't fly through it-----I would bet that you don't do it very often unless your breaking some FARs

Voodew

Jason is absolutely right here. I have positively encountered wind shear that rocked me hard side to side.

I've noticed I tend to look a little behind me when trying to look straight down. (I'll turn at *this* farm. Turn. Why am I *behind* this farm now, farther away from the dropzone than I intended to be? *Fly*)
While you might travel during deployment, not looking straight down (or underestimating your head-low angle) sounds plausible.
Johan.
I am. I think.