RkyMtnHigh

Rodeo on a Wingsuit

Becca wants me to Rodeo her in her wingsuit...although we've read Scott Campos' book and ideas on this jump..I'm just curious on anyone who have done this jump and what worked well and what you might have done different...before I do it of course;):ph34r:

I've done it three times, twice successfully. Once out of a skyvan, which is nearly trivial IMO if you're comfortable flying your suit.

Twice out of an otter, which was a bit more challenging. What ended up working was for the rider to take grips on the shoulder straps and crouch right on top of the bird, facing the prop naturally. The rider gave the count and launched the thing, immediately placing ankles around the bird's hips and leaning forward till reaching controlled terminal flight.

The successful launches almost felt like nothing to me (the bird), just extra fast for some reason.

Once you're in controlled flight the rider can sit up and pilot the bird by leaning on the shoulders and upper arm. From my perspective it felt easy to bank too much & turtle, so gentle inputs should be used, at least at first, and preferably with some sort of communication--maybe tap a few times to indicate that the rider wants to pilot for a while--so that the bird doesn't instinctively counteract the arm inputs with the legs.

On all 3 attempts I felt in control the whole time, after all I had most direct control of the control surfaces. If I want the rider off I can take in a wing and 1/2 second later she'll be hanging on for dear life :)
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I've done several WS rodeo jumps out of a CASA. Nothing too difficult, the rider has to control the CG, and the birdie can still fly pretty much the same as normal (just faster.) It's a great way to lead tracking dives, and the speed seems to be right about on par with normal trackers... just be sure to plan a safe breakoff.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

I've done one as a rider. When you hook your legs/ankles at the hips, make sure you stay way clear of the wings so you don't pinch them. It doesn't take much to keep that grip with your legs. I sat with knees high just hooking my my ankles and heels at the hip. Try it on a creeper so you can see best body position. Once we were stable, I tried to cup as much air as possible. We got really slow. The Bird then had fun trying to buck me off. He couldn't do it until I finally let go at breakoff. It was a blast.:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Rocky, almost anything goes. Keep the riders knees out and off the trailing edge of the upper wings and there won't be any rider induced turns.

Rider grabs the wingers rig in the "tuck tab" region, pulls themselves up tight and depending on skill can get a nice ride or stand up nice surf.

I've been surfed by Rad dudes as well as hot chicks in my wings. Riders of diminutive size means more fun.

Video can be provided by trackers as the glide ratio is reduced when "toting" a passenger.

will show you how next meeting

:o Woooooo! :$ You make me blush! :$ Well, almost. B|

You're such a tease :D;)

I dunno.... Rky, can you handle a reverse rodeo? I think we might be a bit too crowded with cameraflyers to truly enjoy ourselves. :ph34r::SB|

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

Any suggestions on a Cessna 182 exit for a successful wingsuit rodeo? Skysprite and I tried it a few months ago. It was fun but I wouldn't call it successful. :P

Here is what worked well for me: poised exit on the step, side by side with passenger taking grips on the flyer's rig. Open the arm wings before the leg wing on the launch, to minimize the headdown time.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Any suggestions on a Cessna 182 exit for a successful wingsuit rodeo?

It can be done but it takes some muscling and manuevering. Have the Birdman climb out first onto the step far enough to allow the rider to climb out behind. The BirdMan is going to have to hold the strut as close to his chest as possible while keeping all wings closed. The rider if light enough, can mount the Birdman in one of two ways. The rider can climb out to the Birdman holding the strut and then transfer hands over to the Birdmans yoke one at a time. This means the Birdman is going to have to hold both jumpers weight as the rider gets into position behind the Birdman. The variation of this is for the Birdman to squat down as much as possible and allow the rider to straddle the Birdman with one hand on the yoke and one on the strut. Give the usual count and launch.

The second way has the rider on the step ,facing the tail of the A/C, holding the strut with the right hand and holding the Birdman's yoke with the left hand. The riders left foot needs to be in between the Birdmans feet or right next to the Birdmans left foot. This exit requires a rider with some freefly skills as they are going to have to roll over on top of the Birdman after the launch. The key is to launch together and the Birdman to wait on opening the wings until the rider swings around. Once the rider swings around the Birdman opens up the wings

One other variation you can try but it is a craps shoot. Have the Birdman position himself on/in the door facing the tail and the rider holding the yoke inside the A/C(this doesn't work well with large people). Both roll out of the A/C at the same time towards the tail and do a forward sumersault. The Birdman has to be able to do a sumersault and open up to allow the rider to be positioned on the Birdmans back.

All of these exits have more than a 50% chance of not working on the launch but can be made to work if both parties are comfortable with a little bit of free flailing first.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here's a video of the first one I did from a 182. The rider, Annette, took grips on my yoke and hopped aboard as we left.

I have done 3 from 182s and all were successful launches. On the second the rider had a leg or knee messing up one of my wings and we were turning constantly for the first half of the dive. Be sure they are aware of where to put their legs when climbing aboard.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey