bigbearfng

Diff between Spectre and Sabre???

I've been renting demo gear, and I'm starting to seriously consider what to buy soon....Trying diffent containers for comfort; and have only jumped a Spectre 230 so far.(Other than student gear) So a Spectre is the only thing for me to compare with for now.
I've seen Sabre/Sabre2 also recommended for newbies, so would like to know the diff between these two canopies, and is Sabre 2 just a later model of the Sabre?
The only thing I havn't cared for on the Spectre is the slow openings....and yes, I've taken a packing class, don't roll the nose....Is a Sabre also a "slow opener"?
I plan on being in this sport for a good long time, so I'd like to stay on the conservative side.....Thanks!

I've seen Sabre/Sabre2 also recommended for newbies, so would like to know the diff between these two canopies, and is Sabre 2 just a later model of the Sabre?

I believe that both the spectre and the sabre2 are semi-eliptical... (correct me if I'm wrong).
I think the sabre is rectangular. I've never jumped a sabre2 before, but I've heard the openings are much better than the sabre1.

The only thing I havn't cared for on the Spectre is the slow openings....and yes, I've taken a packing class, don't roll the nose....Is a Sabre also a "slow opener"?

hahaha. nobody has told you about the typical sabre opening eh? usually, sabre 1s are known for very hard openings... but once you learn how to pack them, they can be fine.

I plan on being in this sport for a good long time, so I'd like to stay on the conservative side.....Thanks!

I bet skybytch will kiss you for this. :P

MB 3528, RB 1182

The Sabre2 is a very different canopy from a Sabre. It is also much zoomier than a Spectre. Personally, as a spectre jumper, I'd strongly recommend one for you over a Sabre2. I don't know your weight or skills though, so I couldn't say what size to go for. While there are quite a few happy Sabre2 owners, there are also a large number who aren't very happy with the openings. There is no point in getting into it this thread, so look here

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

does anyone know what canopy the Golden Knights use?

Which team? There are different teams. Some jump stilletos and the demo/accuracy guys jump different gear so it depends on what you want to know.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The sabre and sabre2 are totally unrelated. Forget the original sabre (yeah, i know, some people love em). I put 17 jumps on a demo spectre135, a few on a sabre2 150, and a couple on a sabre2 135 (and a sabre2 135 demo will be arriving for this weekend). After 1 jump on the sabre2 135, I knew thats what I wanted over the spectre. The major difference to me was the landing. The spectre landed a lot like my PD150, just faster. Now I know with only 17 jumps on it I was no expert, but I found the sabre2 MUCH easier to land. The spectre seems to require a bit of timing to get the flare right. With experience, i'm sure I could land it nice and soft every time. But the sabre2 can be flown right down to the ground. I just had to flare it as much as it needed to slow me down. Nice, soft landings on all the jumps so far. Just to note, I've only tried the spectre in low wind and the sabre2 in high wind. I might hate the sabre2 on a no wind day... i just dont know and thats why i want to put more jumps on it before deciding.

In flight, I loved both canopies. Both opened nice and softly... nothing like i've ever experienced with my PD150. Openings weren't excessively long for either one. Slightly shorter most of the time (for me) on the sabre2, and nicely on heading.

I think both are great canopies but I just loved the landings on the sabre2.

Dave

The major difference to me was the landing. The spectre landed a lot like my PD150, just faster. Now I know with only 17 jumps on it I was no expert, but I found the sabre2 MUCH easier to land.

Part of that may be because you're a pilot. Seems to me that people with experience flying airplanes prefer the way a nine cell lands over a seven cell.

You're smart to demo a number of different canopies and sizes before buying. I love my Spectre but I know it's not the right canopy for everybody - only way to figure out what's right for you is to jump every canopy you're interested in.

Maybe, but I have zero interest in swooping right now. I assumed i'd much prefer the spectre and almost bought one without demoing a sabre2 in the same size. I expected nice, slow landings. I found that i just didn't seem to have "enough" flare to stop my downward motion before touching down. Landings weren't HARD, stood up all but 2 (and one was a downwinder... 2nd jump on the canopy i think), but not as soft as I would have liked. I don't think its the canopy's fault though. I think it was my flare technique. But I had no problems with the sabre2 right off the bat so I got a much better impression of it.

When I want to swoop, I think I'll stick with being surrounded by aluminum with nice little tires underneath me. :)
Dave

i just jumped a sabre 150 this past weekend that was used by someone on the golden knights. Nice black/yellow color combo. :P

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I have jumped the Spectre 170 (4 jumps), Sabre 190 (student status), Sabre 150 (4 jumps), and Sabre II 150 (~16 jumps). I like the Sabre II the best of these canopies. I feel that I would have the same opinion even if i'd demoed the Spectre 150. The Spectre seems the most docile canopy and if that is what you're looking for, you'd probably appreciate that one the most. The original Sabre does not have a plane out like the Sabre II, it seems to be an almost fluent flare technique needed, as compare to landing the Sabre II which is a flare to plane out (sweet spot), hold down, finish once you slow down/finish 'swoop'. As a personal preference, I would choose the Sabre II anyday over the others. It is, for lack of a better word, a little 'scarier' than the other two which are very docile and don't seem to zoom at the ground as much. I'm not a fan of docile. fwiw, i'm very interested in swooping one day.

jmo, note that these are the only canopies i've jumped, and i'm new to the sport as well. Best thing is to try them all out in the same size, and see what you feel comfortable with.

Angela.