spoons

Can I fly a wingsuit?

After some thought, and great tracking dives, I really would like to get into wingsuit flying. Wouldn't be able to do this until next easter or so (so would have another 50 or so jumps), but I was wondering if there is anywhere that I could jump a wingsuit.

Being a UK jumper the only way for me to jump a wingsuit in the UK would be under the grandfathering method as outlined in the BPA recommendations:

"Grandfathering – Any jumper that does not meet the requirements to jump a wing suit but can demonstrate (I.e. Video/logbook entries) they have done so safely after instruction from an wing suit instructor abroad, may continue to do so."

So my question is, where 'abroad' would I be able to jump a wingsuit (if anywhere)? [:/]

Also, it was stated in the UK skydiving mag that the S-fly Access has a 200 jump limit on it...is the Phoenix Prodigy similar? Does it have the same limit? Anyone know? :)
Cheers.

USA, USA!

I know more than one person from UK who learned to fly here in Florida with just over 200 jumps, then went back home and kept flying. You could try a beginner suit from any company (BirdMan Classic/GTi, Phoenix Fly Prodigy, etc) here in USA with 200 jumps.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Prodigies do have a 200 jump requirement as well, but I don't know if that may be different where you are. I believe the USPA SIM recomends 200 jumps in 18 months to try any beginner wingsuit with an instructor, or 500 jumps minimum.
I know there are wingsuit instructors in Texas, as well as on the east and west coasts if you're looking to come to the USA. Added bonus in the southern regions we jump year round!
Check out where the other Phoenix Fly Instructors are located on the PF website.

-Jenn PFI#21

I am more than happy go to the states for a week or two to clock up some wingsuit jumps - I was just wondering if anyone over there would actually coach me?!

It'll end up i'll have done 250-ish jumps in about 3-ish years wish isn't too bad by UK standards...but not exactly current by US standards - you guys do that in a weekend! ;)

Come to Zhills, we have many BMI's and PFI's there, many demo suits available, and it's one of the best flocking DZ's around. New Years always has some good flocking going on, and in March we have the Flock n Dock event.

Remind me when it is closer to the time you want to come, and we'll see if there are any good boogies coming up. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Where did you read that?

"Grandfathering – Any jumper that does not meet the requirements to jump a wing suit but can demonstrate (I.e. Video/logbook entries) they have done so safely after instruction from an wing suit instructor abroad, may continue to do so."

I just found out, it's official:

Due to the brandwar, we will be holding TWO separate Flock N Dock events. One in March for all BirdMen, and one in April for all Phoenix Flyers.

(I'M KIDDING!) :D

I don't know when it is, maybe Scott Bland will chime in.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Alan,

Come to Oz over the Christmas / New Year period. There's a nice boogie then and we'll have you dancing around the clouds with us in no time. Also some wingsuit events in November if you can make it earlier.

It'll be our summer - nice warm days mean nice warm temps at altitude.

Blue Skies,

fergs
BMCI

and have done a few excersises and have preferably done some freeflying as well,

Just wondering why you would like freefly training??
I personally am not a freeflyer and would rather have a student with RW experience.......my reasonings they are more natural in the belly to earth configuration and probably have tracking experience leaving formations.

If you don't mind I would like to hear why you perfer freeflying skills

Sorry for being off the topic but I found this comment interesting as I have always perfered the opposite and would like to hear other views (reasoning)

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Hi Alan,

IMHO currency is way more important than simple jump numbers. If you were current, did a couple of dedicated tracking jumps with a wingsuit instructor, demonstrated good ground/air awareness and ability to fly a pattern then I think alot of instructors would be happy to put you in a Classic or Prodigy. In the UK I mean.

Gus (PFI)
OutpatientsOnline.com

IMHO currency is way more important than simple jump numbers. If you were current, did a couple of dedicated tracking jumps with a wingsuit instructor, demonstrated good ground/air awareness and ability to fly a pattern then I think alot of instructors would be happy to put you in a Classic or Prodigy. In the UK I mean.

Thats good to hear, I'm also looking to get into a wingsuit as soon as possible. It has seemed to me though that getting a wingsuit instructor willing to take someone like me would be easier than getting a CCI to agree to let someone with less than the 'guideline' amount of jumps/currency fly a suit.

Am I right in thinking that or are some CCI's leaving it up to the wingsuit instructors to decide?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

and have done a few excersises and have preferably done some freeflying as well,

Just wondering why you would like freefly training??
I personally am not a freeflyer and would rather have a student with RW experience.......my reasonings they are more natural in the belly to earth configuration and probably have tracking experience leaving formations.

If you don't mind I would like to hear why you perfer freeflying skills

Sorry for being off the topic but I found this comment interesting as I have always perfered the opposite and would like to hear other views (reasoning)

We're looking for a few freefly jumps because then you have some experience with corking etc. Most of the belly flyers we get here have never really been unstable, and some of them kinda freaked (maybe too strong a word but still) when something happened with their wingsuit. And trying real hard to get into a stable box position doesn't help either. With the freeflyers, they've been unstable before when trying to learn to sit, so they're more relaxed about it, and I haven't seen any fighting their suit to get into a box either.

This mostly goes for people with low jump numbers, though we think some freefly exp definately helps for everyone.

Also, tracking is not a belly fly skill only, most freeflyers here are doing belly/back tracking jumps and atmonauti.

I also found the beginners with a lot of CRW exp to be the best at keeping their heading and pattern, so maybe we'll start asking for that too LOL ;) And 4way to be able to take docks without flailing, and ... and ...

:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Am I right in thinking that or are some CCI's leaving it up to the wingsuit instructors to decide?

I think most CCIs are sensible enough to defer judgement to those with more expertise. CCIs cautious attitudes towards wingsuits stems from a lack of experience and that's totally understandable and right. I think if a wingsuit instructor wanted to teach someone and they could justify to the CCI how it was safe then most CCIs will be reasonable about it.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com