Basjkall

Phi

We had one cutaway due to spinning linetwists on a sabre2 this weekend. This was the guy's third BM jump, 2nd on a Phi. Personally I think the armwings are pretty big for a beginner, the guy admitted he probably didn't close his wings during opening and had to wait for the pilotchute to come out of the burble. Chopchop [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have very little wingsuit experience (11 jumps) the 11th was no a phi.. i found the arm wings huge and after about 65 sec. i was dead tired... so i have to concurr that it is much harder than a classic or a prodigy which were the other 2 suits i have flown. Now that thats out of the way, the suit had much more lift from my perception which is something i really liked. The forward spped was also awesome.
just my $.02

Dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

yea...curiouus too..

I had to pass up on all kinds of cool toys past weekend because I was flocking. Would loved to have given Phi, Firebird and Phantom a spin...

I was quite amazed at the production-quality of Phi.
Felt more like a cross between an outdoor-coat and motor-cycle-clothing in terms of quality..

Really a whole different look and feel from anything we've seen so far.
I hope this is the direction wingsuiting wil go in terms of materials and strenth (this suit looks way more durable then anything I've seen before, no filmsy Balloon zp anymore)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I hope this is the direction wingsuiting wil go in terms of materials and strenth (this suit looks way more durable then anything I've seen before, no filmsy Balloon zp anymore)

Interesting, what makes you say Balloon ZP is "flimsy"? What is the performance advantage (other than resistance to damage from bad landings) of a heavier material?

(In the other Phi thread there was one guy who had had some durability problems.)
BASEstore.it

Interesting, what makes you say Balloon ZP is "flimsy"? What is the performance advantage (other than resistance to damage from bad landings) of a heavier material?

I am going to have to say feel --- look at the GTI compared to the V1 (((stop this is not a shot at different manufactures))) or even the original Classics (there a positive for BM) --- they just felt like you were in a suit of armor instead of draped in ZP material ---
Its not about performance its about feel -- if it feels better built even if it isn't it give you that warm and fuzzy feeling --- why not have a little heavier material(for that warm and fuzzy feeling which i would hope would be built better) while maintaining the performance.

I own a GTI, a V-1 and an original Classic the GTI just feels flimsy compared to the others

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Filmsy, as in 'quite easy to damage' (not that I have so far).
I don't know if the heavier material performs better or worse...but when I buy a suit, I also want it to last...

That's why this change in materials made me curious, and I would love to see how a suit design for fast/far flying instead of earobatics wil perform when made this way..

The booty-problem (seems popping) seems more like a size problem then a material problem. As I hear more people complaining about wrong suit-sizes (too short/too long)..but I wasnt there...so not sure on that one..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The booty-problem (seems popping) seems more like a size problem then a material problem. As I hear more people complaining about wrong suit-sizes (too short/too long)..but I wasnt there...so not sure on that one..

Kind of curious about the booty problem too and wouldn't doubt it was size related. The stock sizing on the PHI will make it an interesting fit for some people and probably impossible for others.

I loved the construction on my PHI. It felt solid, and despite being too small(sent it back for a larger size) it was very comfortable and just had a nice weighty feel to it.

No, I'm afraid I can't explain "Dynamic Wing Technology" even after flying the suit.

I could give you a description of that slightly vacuum packed feeling just above and behind my balls I get after a massively good shag though, as it's very similar to the way I feel after a good flight...:)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Anybody else?

If your interest is not flame baiting, as you say, rather simply trying to understand an ad you read for the suit, perhaps you'd be better off going straight to the man who made the ad (and the suit), rather than repeatedly asking an unanswered question here. ;)

Let me give you a good example.

I flew the Prodigy a few weeks ago at Zhills. When I was on jump run and reached back to feel my hackey, I felt something that terrified me. The loop which hangs off the back of the jacket was extremely close to my hackey, and depending on how I grabbed the hackey, it was entirely possible to grab it THROUGH the loop, creating a jacket-horseshoe malfunction. :o I tucked the loop away inside the jacket as far as I could, as I know it is intended to be, but I honestly was still not comfortable with the idea of having that loop back there with "tucking it in" as the only means of keeping it away from my PC. I thought there should be a more secure solution, or the loop should be in a different location (like the front) entirely.

So, in the interest of not flame-baiting ;), rather than repeatedly making posts here asking if anyone else shared my concerns, I simply went straight to the source. I emailed Robi about it and he replied promptly with his thoughts.

Make sense? :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

perhaps you'd be better off going straight to the man who made the ad (and the suit)

I know the guy who made the ad but I'm sure he didn't make the suit. Infact I asked who designed the Phi a few times on this forum and never got a response to that question either? :S

But your right I'll email one of the 2 Js.
BASEstore.it

Infact I asked who designed the Phi a few times on this forum and never got a response to that question either? :S

Do you realize the irony of this statement in reply to the post I just made? I just finished saying, if asking something on a public forum about a manufacturer, repeatedly without answer, perhaps you'd be better taking it straight to the source. :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

just curious, now that you have flown your Phi can you explain what the "Dynamic wing technology" is?

I don't think you have to fly the suit to understand that the word 'dynamic' refers to the fact that the wing is designed to change shape based on the orientation in which you fly.
Inflating in a correct wing-profile when flying either on your belly or back...

On a side note, one thing that is funny about Phi is that a lot of people seem to think that backflying skills are included with the suit.
Even though it's supposedly easer (and flies with much better fallrates on your back) you still have to learn to fly on your back 'the hard way'...maybe costing you a few thousand feet here and there as you tumble towards the earth hehehe :P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

even though the phi is more an acrobatic suit, it has much bigger wings than the gti, and i was wondering what kind of fall rates people out there were getting. i have 15 jumps on a gti managed a 51mph on the phi i have 20 jumps gotten to 58mph (must admit i still haven't found the sweet spot + im still a total newbie!

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

When I tried the prototype that was going around finland, I definitely felt the suit had less glide than my GTI+winggrips. I had a quite steep angle of attack and quite big speed, which is definitely good to do accrobatics.
I could try it only on one jump, the suit probably requires more than that to unleash it's power.

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

(In the other Phi thread there was one guy who had had some durability problems.)

Well, I tested the PHI's durability over the weekend. I got dragged across the tarmac in it and it held up like a champ. I got road rash on my knee through the suit and all the suit got was a very small 1-2mm hole on the knee.

The fabric is pretty tough and some stitching that got dragged across the asphalt also held up very well.