SCARYPERRY

KING AIR WARNING

As some of you have seen,I have a bit different exit when shooting vid on jumps, I climb out to camera step,otters,caravans,porters,MI8,hold the floater bar,lock my elbo against airframe and inflate my suit.This allows me to fly vertical and level with aircraft to film exits.I just let go and start to fly.DO NOT try this with low wing aircraft!!!!!!the air coming off the low wing as well as propblast create lift and put you very close the tail....
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

lets say that i will be buying a cypress very soon,no video as didnt have camera on,but think you might find some hair back there!!!!! mabe I should think about a helmet as well :S

i've only ever exited out of an otter or a casa. 2 weeks ago i was surprised with a king air at the dz...i actually put some thought into whether or not i wanted to take my wingsuit out of it for this very reason (low tail). Did my regular hop out the door with the wings collapsed type exit but i'll tell you what..i waited a good 3-5 seconds before opening the wings...

on my second jump of the day the pilot forgot i was on board and decided to dive the plane after the last tandem got out, i thought i was going to be exiting out the front window on that one;)

Kingairs are fine for wingsuit if you keep things tucked for a few after exit.With low wings,the air off the wing creates lift toward tail,have several hunded sky surf jumps out of kingairs and you just need present to realative wind abit less aggressive.
the exit in post,I was holding a floater bar with one hand and flying suit next to plane,not for faint of heart as learning curve left some bruises from early attempts,not to mention a bit of paint:D!!With otter and caravans you just let go and you are right there!!makes great vid!!!!some aircraft have floater bars back further and can be interesting as you kinda have to hop and grab to get there,for if your wing inflates.... you exit early!!!

yeah dude tell me about it... look out for those PAC 750-XL's as well...

glad you're alright man

1. Listen to Bobby
2. Check out the pics of his destroyed S-3 leg wing - as well as the aircraft.
3. Listen to Bobby
4. Try and imagine what would have happened if he'd been even a little bit less aggressive on exit - very bad things would have happened to him and the aircraft.
5. Listen to bobby.
6. Same applies for any low tail. Be aware and exit accordingly.
8. If you haven't already, listen to and learn from bobby.

fergs

As some of you have seen,I have a bit different exit when shooting vid on jumps, I climb out to camera step,otters,caravans,porters,MI8,hold the floater bar,lock my elbo against airframe and inflate my suit.This allows me to fly vertical and level with aircraft to film exits.I just let go and start to fly.DO NOT try this with low wing aircraft!!!!!!the air coming off the low wing as well as propblast create lift and put you very close the tail....

Damn that is a cool exit, i'll have to try that.. any pictures?

Dude! As Fergs said, speak, and more importantly, listen to Bobby.
Had bobby been any unluckier, his suit older, or had the impact been higher on him (ie he was lower), you would not have the chance to talk to him about wingsuits and low tail planes.

On the topic in general:

Ensuring wingsuiters safely clear the aircraft, is fast becoming something people need to get drilled for not thinking about properly and then doing properly. Otherwise I fear we’re soon going to be seeing a thread on here about someone losing limbs or their head…

Proper pilot breifings are another one. If you jump at a dz where they power off for exit, ensure they're giving you enough time to clear the tail before they power up again. Jari nearly had his head collected this way.[:/]

edited to add:
The topic of tail strikes also gives yet another good reason to wear a helmet when wingsuiting....;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I've done a dozen or so S-3 jumps out of a king air. I have found that doing a back flip out (while keeping everything tucked) works great. By the time you get on your belly, the plane is long gone.

I've used this strategy on quite a few king air jumps. For a while, I was at a DZ where the pilot tended to be moving fairly quickly on jump run, so I took to rolling out the door. Call me paranoid, but at least I never hit the tail. I'd imagine if you've got a flock to keep track of, it wouldn't work too well, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If I remember correctly(I seem to have short-term recollection problems????) a very accomplished WS pilot accidentally hit the tale of the otter at Eloy a few months ago. I think they changed their briefing for new WS pilots to include a nice long closed-delay watching the plane fly away before inflation.
Maybe someone in the know can post more...... I hate to be inaccurate.
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

I've used this strategy on quite a few king air jumps. For a while, I was at a DZ where the pilot tended to be moving fairly quickly on jump run, so I took to rolling out the door. Call me paranoid, but at least I never hit the tail. I'd imagine if you've got a flock to keep track of, it wouldn't work too well, though.

I like to dive out forward and barrell roll out onto my back... makes for a nice visuals
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I like to dive out forward and barrell roll out onto my back... makes for a nice visuals

Is that a controlled manuver or uncontrolled? :ph34r:

In the big (130MB) video file I posted to skydivingmovies.com of the Z-flock, you can see most of Perry's climbouts/exits.

Okay now that skydiving movies is back up, I downloaded the file and see the video from Scary's POV, but is there anyone filming scary doing this exit? That was the view I was interested in...

Didn't see that in the video