unclecharlie95

Phoenix-Fly Website Updated

The web site looks great but I think there has been a great mistake in the pictures section. I remember at the Flock n Dock that the GREAT German Test Pilot was there doing demos on the Prodigy and I cant find him anywhere on the site!!! Thats crap! :D The new site looks great! Good work!

- I would not attempt to instruct someone without the rating, nor would I have accepted instruction on MY first jump from someone without a rating. But I am curious what the USPA's stance on this is...

what would you have done prior to a BMI rating being established? I started before a BMI was established. I did though learn from a very experianced skymonkey1
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

- I would not attempt to instruct someone without the rating, nor would I have accepted instruction on MY first jump from someone without a rating. But I am curious what the USPA's stance on this is...

what would you have done prior to a BMI rating being established? I started before a BMI was established. I did though learn from a very experianced skymonkey1

I would have found the best I could, which would have been someone without a rating. Now, the best I can find is someone with a rating.

What would you have jumped before ram-air canopies existed?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The web site looks great but I think there has been a great mistake in the pictures section. I remember at the Flock n Dock that the GREAT German Test Pilot was there doing demos on the Prodigy and I cant find him anywhere on the site!!!

Helmut-

Good news! I have located photos of the German
Test(icle) Pilot in my personal photo collection. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a problem... it seems that every photo is a bit blurry due to his excessive forward speed.;)

Better luck next time.:P

there will not be demo program for the PFI's by the manufacturer

I stand corrected, the ball is already rolling.

Morpheus Technologies, as the North American office for Phoenix-Fly, is already building a demo stock of beginner and (soon to be) intermediate suits that WILL be available to PFIs. Of course if the PFI wishes they will also be able to purchase demo suits at 40-50% discount, depending on the suit.
BASEstore.it

Ok I need to chime in here..I agree with all of Chuck's points.

Skydive Arizona has policy regarding first flights at this drop zone.
It matters not to me if one is a PFI or a BMI.
Wingsuit flyers with under 500 jumps will jump with an instructor on their first wingsuit jump.

As to the issue of flying into jump run, I can tell you this...they won't be jumping a wingsuit here again if they fly into jump run! Why jeopardize it for all wingsuit flyers when an good instructor can prevent this from happening on a first jump?
I would hope in the best interest of wingsuit flyers that all manufacturers come to an agreement regarding first flight instruction.

A wingsuit instructor is a wingsuit instructor...period.

Very true, but there are some differences between the programs.

I would find it very hard to believe that the PFI instructor course has more than ten words changed from the BMI course text,

Erm, go have a look on the PF website, there are few more than 10 words changed.

The PFI program has a major fundamental difference to the BMI system, after successfully completing the briefing the student jumps solo. Why? Because wingsuit is not AFF and the instructor can do little to nothing for the students safety after exit (apart from correct heading and body position). This has the added advantage of reducing the cost of the students first wingsuit flight.

Phoenix Fly also requires applicants to have a Coach or Instructor rating. BM does not.

Communication and interpersonal skills come before "ace" pilot skills, as these are what count for being able to teach.

J

Would you also require that rating of someone who is a professional teacher, with training and experience far exceeding those imparted in a 2 day coach course?

Just curious.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Phoenix Fly also requires applicants to have a Coach or Instructor rating. BM does not.

Point of clarification. That is not true. BirdMan has required potential BMI's to have an instructor rating ever since the course was overhauled almost 2 years ago. However, on a case by case basis, we will consider an individual who has equivalent or similar instructional experience in another field, for attendence of the course.

Does that answer your question kallend?:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Mattermen deliver some of the most glorious "minutes" of your life..... plus video. In your case you will get a kiss too!

Well...even an egg takes 3 minutes:)
As to the question at hand I believe I answered it in the prior post. BMI and PFI were used as examples.;)

Not in reply to anyone in particular:

Hmm, lets stop the fighting, no one wants to teach students in anything but a safe manner, I have no doubt Robi or PF as a whole have any interest in training in anything other than a safe way and introducing newbies to wingsuit flight. Same as BM only wish to promote safe wingsuit flight.

All we do be bickering on line is do ourselves a disservice, we look unprofessional and make what I know to be a pretty well, informed intelligent bunch look like a bunch of muppets.

I also started prior to the whole BMI recognized instructor program and it was a case of read the manual and get out the plane, fortunately one other individual was good enough to step out with me and it helped.

Without sounding like a hippy all I want to do is expand human flight, we are scratching the surface of what can be done and the potential is extraordinary lets not turn anyone off flight or make ourselves look like monkeys (excuse the pun SM1) every time someone comes up with a new program. Yes there will be differences but I refuse to believe anyone is going to promote un safe wingsuit flight training.

Long flights

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Would you also require that rating of someone who is a professional teacher, with training and experience far exceeding those imparted in a 2 day coach course?

Pretty sure not. Just after that bit, the PF web site says:

***Instructor or teaching experience outside of skydiving may also be considered.[/url]
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I already had the BMI rating, LeRoy.

Uh, when did you learn? BMIs were around when I learned and that was back in *thinking* 2002? The "BMI" training was far different than it is now... the training program now is much more organized and structured.

Uh, when did you learn? BMIs were around when I learned and that was back in *thinking* 2002? The "BMI" training was far different than it is now... the training program now is much more organized and structured.

When I learned (2000? Maybe 2001? Perhaps Diablopilot remembers better than I do) it was very hard to find a bona fide BMI. The program was so new that instructors were in short supply.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com