Kris

Kickin' it at Dallas!

Phree and I managed to get in a WS dive yesterday at SDD. It looks like I've still got a lot to work on, but it was a fun dive nonetheless.

Keeping my legs out and keeping both wings properly tensioned seem to be the biggies right now. I was able to hit high 60's, low 70's during my last jump 5 months ago and it looks like I got seriously rusty in the interim as this was all in the low 90's.[:/]

Big thanks to Phreezone for bringing along his 10D and taking some really good shots.

I'm open to any critiquing anyone might have. The full album is at http://www.phreezone.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3&page=2 on pages 2 & 3.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Flying the 10D is a whole new experience in the S3. Not bad for the second jump on the camera :ph34r:

Nice job kickin it again, last flight together was at WFFC so you have cleaned up a lot since then.

Any one have comments on his body position? I gave some but I'm thinking the community at large has more input then I could give.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Any one have comments on his body position? I gave some but I'm thinking the community at large has more input then I could give.

I'm thinking 'listen to Ed' ;). Arm position in 'geekin.jpg' needs some work. Try to rotate your elbows forward so that you're getting pressure on the whole leading edge of your wing. Also, look at your cables in that pic. That's a good example of why you shouldn't trim your cables too short. Leg position is not optimal, but I'm guessing that's due to trying to slow down and fly with someone lighter. Decpticons rule.
Flight6.jpg is better, but the legs could, of course, be straighter. Stow your lqrs cable.
In flight8, you've got your hands below your body. Try to keep them straight out from your sides. The same arm position "elbow roll" thing is still there. Fix that, and you'll be much more comfortable straightening out your legs. Also, your head is pretty far up, probably to geek the camera, but that wrecks the airflow over your back and can hurt performance. Try tucking your chin a little and see if that helps.

Anyway, as En Vouge, said, "fix your arms and the rest will follow".

I think that's what they said, anyway.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Nice pics. :)
Kris, you can read something about arm proper arm extention I wrote here.

Did your trail of rust look like you had a smoke canister on? :P:)

Thanks for the info, Ed. I'll definitely try that out on my next flights.

And, I wouldn't call it smoke canister quality...it was more like the vapor trail from a C-130.;)

I'm thinking 'listen to Ed' ;). Arm position in 'geekin.jpg' needs some work. Try to rotate your elbows forward so that you're getting pressure on the whole leading edge of your wing. Also, look at your cables in that pic. That's a good example of why you shouldn't trim your cables too short. Leg position is not optimal, but I'm guessing that's due to trying to slow down and fly with someone lighter. Decpticons rule.
Flight6.jpg is better, but the legs could, of course, be straighter. Stow your lqrs cable.
In flight8, you've got your hands below your body. Try to keep them straight out from your sides. The same arm position "elbow roll" thing is still there. Fix that, and you'll be much more comfortable straightening out your legs. Also, your head is pretty far up, probably to geek the camera, but that wrecks the airflow over your back and can hurt performance. Try tucking your chin a little and see if that helps.

Thanks for the arm tips. I'll work on those as well.

As for the cables, I'm attaching an annotated version of the geekin' pic. The cables are properly stowed, run through the housings, and nothing has been cut.

Thanks for the tips!

Exit 2 you might like to open your wings a fraction later, as you are still in the aircraft wake and rolling off to your left, thats fine, but really symmetrical arm opening and exits make for much nicer exits;0

Otherwise you might find yourself rolling all the way over to theleft and getting seperation vcery rapidly on wing inflation. Other than that roll the arms as the guys have said, you should not be in pain to do this but you will feel the burn if you have not flown for a while. Have fun, nice pics.

Cheers

F
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I dont think he is opening to soon... it is probally the camera angle...
I bet he is a good 10-15 below the plane... Also note that he is pointed away 45 degress...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

About time you got your ass back in the air bro;) Besides the arm/leg corrections concentrate on your de arch. Your hips are looking rather low if not neutral position wise. Lift your hips and point your toes more and you'll see a noticable change. Welcome back to the flock :ph34r: ;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As for the cables, I'm attaching an annotated version of the geekin' pic. The cables are properly stowed, run through the housings, and nothing has been cut.

Thanks for the tips!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your cables were cut, but we had a discussion a while ago about trimming cables, and that pic is a great example of what can happen in the air, and why the excess is there.

As Saskia said, check the other end of the LQRS, down by your foot. Pic with notes attached. :D

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

As Saskia said, check the other end of the LQRS, down by your foot. :D

the end of the LQRS....can't always manage to fluff it inside the thingy, so I just put it on top of my shoe..(under my bootie) and in flight it can easely slip out (and probably does sometimes, I think)

aside from poking someones eye out if they're not wearing goggles, I can't see any real problems with it..

aside from the obvious 0.0000000000000000001 degree of drag the cable creates, which forces you to stretch you left pinky by 0,2 degrees to counter this horrendous turn :P

edited to add: As long as it's inside your bootie walking towards the plane and during climbing/exit (so it can't scrape/damage the cable) I think it's harmless.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

For the last 100+ flights I have'nt tucked that in on my flights and I'm still here so I guess its not that dangerous :P

Kris was flying right out the door and actually caught me a bit by surprise since I did'nt open my wings yet in Pic3 waiting on him to fall to my level, lesson learned. :$
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

What will happen, Erk, if you do not stow the end of the cable is that it will get all scraped up and potentially snag and fail to release if and when you ever DO need it. Do you follow me? If you can't get it in the keeper, just do like Jarno said (and exactly what I do) and just stick it beside your shoe in the bootie.

Chuck

Yeah, mine got scraped a tad when I first got it but I lube my cables at the same time I do my monthly maintence so I keep a close eye on it. I hit it with tad bit of 300 grit sandpaper and it was as good as new. Usually it does'nt have a chance to touch the ground since I don't suit up till I'm in the plane and I tuck the legs in the inlet hole under canopy. In the plane if I have access to it I'll try and toss it on top of my shoe, but some times that just does'nt happen thanks to no room sitting in the co-pilot seat (God I hate sitting there in my Wingsuit >:()
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

sitting in the co-pilot seat (God I hate sitting there in my Wingsuit >:()

What plane? I love co-pilot in an Otter. I can zip up while sitting down (do it in sections), and then I don't have to be all hunched over, half-stood up in a full plane from 9k, hurting my back and zipping up.

The best would just be if all Otters had benches though.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Otter, like I did Sat. I've got long enough legs (being 6'2" with long legs sucks in Cessna's!) that I have issues sitting in the seat as it with out having my legs into the control yoke. With a rig on I can't bend over and reach my feet with out turning sideways and then I'm too afraid I'll hit the yoke as I move around (done it once last year).

Benches are the solution to all the problems. ;) I say to put the TM's as co-pilot :D:P
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

If zipping up in the plane is difficult, why not just do it on the ground before getting on the plane?

Aside from zipping up my arms, I'm usualy done when I board...?
Is there a reason for doing it during the airplane ride?

(a real honest question, not ment as an attack or anything..just don't see the advantage of doing it during climb)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I am usually able to finish zipping both legs in the time it takes everyone else to board the plane, and right about the time the co-pilot gives me a look like, "stop leaning forward and getting so close to my controls, I need to take off!" I sit back in my seat and smile. :) I'm about 2" shorter than you FWIW...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The issue was that I was planning on being on the bench so It was'nt going to be an issue then I got tossed into the Co-pilot seat when the plane was filling up. My suit seems to have shrank in the year and half since I got it.:D I'm sure its not that I've grown at all...(expecially in the waist) :) and as such I probally need to order a new slightly larger suit in all directions but I just don't have the cash to get a new one. Its just really uncomfy to be smushed into a suit for the whole ride up for me so I save the suiting up process till 8-9k. I'm cheap... what can you say? :D

My normal plane is a CASA so it's super easy to suit up in.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com