voodew1

Wingsuit Demos

I am in the process of assembling a supply of various birdman classic and classic 2 wingsuits for the use as demo suits.
The question is if you are not a BMI and do take up first flight students, you are not able to get demo suits, would you pay frieght both ways and collect suit rental (where possible) to be able to use my suits?
I am buying them and cannot wear most of them and would like to recover some of the money lost to buy them. I would do same as Birdman $10 rental per jump.
I would even rent them out to jumpers without suits who can verify training per weekend discounted rate.

I am sure the BMI's will flame me for this but I am all about getting more wings in the air!

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Is there some reason your not a BMI and just have the access demo to the demos Birdman has?

Or do you have some type of problem with Birdman's Instructor rating and want to do you own thing?

Not a flame, just curious.....

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I don't have a BMI rating because I don't think that I should have to pay for a rating to help a manufactor move their product - plus have to pay to bring them or to fly to them to get the rating.

I just want more people to fly with -

You say

I don't think that I should have to pay for a rating to help a manufactor move their product

But you want more wings in the sky. How are you going to get more wings in the sky without moving product? You want to move your product, don't you?
Wouldn't the responsible thing be to learn how best to train people to use that product?

There's nothing new about this. Tandem manufacturers were rating people on the equipment they built many years before the USPA got involved.

Birdman have taken a very responsible view to distributing their product and setting up a worldwide network of BMI's to allow their customers the best possible chance at a safe and enjoyable 1st flight.
The cost of the BMI course (Around $300, I think..) is nothing in the overall scheme of things, when you look at the cost of suits, gear, dives, traveling, time, etc. I think there are benefits as well. BMI's recieve a discount on their personal and demo suits which will easily offset the cost of the BMI course. Having your student sign the BM waiver offers you further protection in case of an incident.

Not a flame. Just some stuff to think about.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Having your student sign the BM waiver offers you further protection in case of an incident.

My BMI never had me sign a waiver. I never even knew there was one.

That's it, I'm suing. :D

They have a fantastic Waiver-From-Hell on their web-site. Wonder where it came from?

hahahaha;)

You sound like Kevin and Steve used to.....seriously.

The tandem analogy was perfect. If you wanted a tandem rating, you had to pay the manufacturer. Want another tandem rating even though you have 500 tandems already? Guess what, you are gonna pay for that rating too. It's all about liability and making sure that people get the best training they can.

$300 is a drop in the bucket. The money you pay on the course can be immediately recouped on the savings you get on new suits. It's also really great to be able to get suits anytime you want from BM for your events.

You want to be a renegade? Just make goddamn sure you don't attempt to train anyone with less than 500 jumps (as they don't neccessarily require a BMI anyway). You should really talk to Kevin and Steve. Your anti-establishment posture on this doesn't really compute.

Chuck

The obvious caveat is also the liability you would be assuming,especially in todays sue happy society.Your opening yourself up to a Pandoras box of things. Not to mention not knowing all the people who you would be sending your suits to. What's to stop someone from running off with your gear or when they destroy it? And let me tell you,demo gear does get destroyed.

I would be willing to bet the money invested in building your own demo fleet is pretty close, if not more, to the $300 needed to take the instructor course. Birdman has more demos available to you as a BMI than most people would want to even consider investing in. The biggy is the information that is taught and learned during the BMI course. It is readily apparent that just becasue you fly a suit doesn't mean you're anywhere near qualified to teach someone else how to fly a suit properly. In the same vein, just because a person skydives does not mean they are qualified to teach someone AFF.

Like SM1 suggested, talk to Steve and kevin.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I am sure the BMI's will flame me for this but I am all about getting more wings in the air!

I know where you are coming from. More people to play with.

Rental fee + shipping is very reasonable as you will see tremendous wear and tear on your personal fleet of demos. Not really by all the borrowers just by one or two users that will be hard on gear. Events by these individuals will put on 95% of your wear. If you got access to willing repair resource, then it may work out fine.

BMI rated or not good things will come from helping people that appreciate getting into the air in a wingsuit. You just want to limit your legal and fiscal exposure. Some people will travel far and pay what it costs for the joy of flying in a wingsuit ( and respect the equiptment ). Some will take you and your gear for granted and expect a free hook-up. This is where the bMI has the advantage, its corporate and not personal gear.

Since the sim and DZ's WS standards are evolving around the Bird-man recommened flight number requirements, you may open yourself to huge legal liability if you loan suits or train anybody under 500 ( as recommened by BM ) jumps. Even though there are other brands out there that have no recommendations, If there is an injury or fatality. Not a problem if you live in a van, big problem if you own a home or business.

I see a big distiction between tandem ratings and wingsuit instructor ratings. Flying tandems the TM is responsible for the life of a passenger and, for the most part, has complete control over the gear and how it is used. Teaching an already licensed skydiver to fly in gear that once in the air you have no control over is much different. The various TM ratings are expensive to get and there are days of evaluation and many jumps involved. Everyone with a tandem rating positivly has been through the course and most likely paid up the cash for it themselves. This very same thing cannot be said about everybody on the BMI list. Although I'm positive that they are all "qualified" I'm also positive that not all have been evaluated and have payed for the course. The upside is that flying tandems can be very lucrative. If I wanted to haul in the cash in skydiving that is the rating I would get. It can be such a money maker that some bMI's can't afford to turn away a weekend of "hauling meat" to teach some FF wingsuit courses.

This is just my opinion and not those of my sponsors.
Glen

This should not be all aboutmaken money.What about those of us that have our rating,own our own demo fleet,and have taken the time to learn to fly, After 1600 wingsuit jumps,still have students that surprise me in flight.NOW does the person renting your suit have the training to fly it right? I wont sell a classic because I think if you are that unskilled,or scared of this way to fly, MABE you DONT need to fly the suit till you are sure you are up to it.I hope you have someone to fix your suits because they will take a beating GOOD LUCK
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

The purpose of me buying a fleet of demos is to provide skilled flyers or jumpers I know that have had instruction in the past with a suit or suits to allow more jumpers to taste flight.
The BMIs are not compensated enough to make a trip to teach 1 or 2 potential fliers.
There are numerous DZs that have jumpers who want to try a wingsuit but have no way to do so with out a BMI--they cannot afford to bring a BMI to teach them and can not justify flying to a BMI. They do have skilled wingsuit pilots on the DZ that can train up a first flight student but they can't get a demo suit---I will provide it.

This works as I recently taught 4 new jumpers to fly with suits that I begged and borrowed and even bought just to do this because no BMIs would attend our boogie(until 12 days before it was to happen which was too late for me to for go my planning)

Lastly until BMI is a USPA rating it is not required and all of the SIM recommendations are just that recommendations.

I don't mean to upset BMIs that is not my goal. My goal is to have a strong flock in the state of Texas where the BMIs don't come.
One year ago I organized a BMI (Tamer Baker) to come to Texas, I set up a tour of central texas DZs, I gave him a place to stay which was my house. He taught numerous first timers, sold some demo suits and flew back home breaking even on his plane ticket because he loved what he did. He got a free vacation!
He sold 4 suits on that trip---due to the AOT boogie I helped sell 4 more!
BMIs don't want to come to Texas for some reason

Hopefully by me stirring the pot things will change