sillie1111

Birdman Rodeo Question

I was wondering How many jumps should the rider have to do a birdman rodeo? 100 maybe? I was invited on one last weekend but I only have 32 jumps (which My friend was not aware of when he asked me) so it was decided that I should not do one yet and I was promised I could go when I hit 100 jumps. I cant want to try it. it looks like so much fun.I will hopefully have 100 jumps by the end of the summer so I can try it out!:ph34r: So what would you guys say for a jump # minimum, and what is the least amount of jumps you have had for your passengers?

Thanks;)
~Shelly

I'd want at least 100 on someone before they rodeo'd me. I'd want someone on my back who is heads-up enough to know what not to grab when things get exciting.:)
Look at it this way, it'll give you something to look forward to and that'll be one sweet 100th!B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

the only passenger I had has a bit more than 3000 jumps... Wouldn't just take anybody... But preferrably people with more experience than me. Unitl I am confident enough. I also still have to learn a lot.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The rider can have quite a bit of control, actually (especially with BirdMan Pantz ;)). As to jump numbers, it's hard to say. I would just ask the people who've been jumping with him or her to determine if they're heads up enough to stay relaxed and stable through the whole process. And if they aren't a dolt through the dirt dive, then they're probably good to go.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I've taken up a couple people on rodeos. The first attempt was talked over a bunch as we had no idea how it was going to go. I trusted the guy and honestly jump numbers didn't mean a huge thing to me, and probably still don't as long as I know the person and have personally jumped with and know they've got their heads on straight. I can't say really a jump # that I would limit myself at, just know that there are some people that I wouldn't be willing to take up regardless of their jump numbers
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I don't have any hard and fast number of jumps to take people along either. But it surely helps if they can ride a horse (a real one!), dragon2 (yes, that's her riding me in the avatar) tells me, and being cute, female and not too heavy helps as well. B|
Johan.
I am. I think.

I don't have any hard and fast number of jumps to take people along either. But it surely helps if they can ride a horse (a real one!), dragon2 (yes, that's her riding me in the avatar) tells me, and being cute, female and not too heavy helps as well. B|

Nice picture! I cant wait until that is me! I used to jump horses foe a few years when I was younger :D Believe me I can ride well;) (bareback is my fav.) As far as being female and not to heavy that is why he invited me cause he thought it would work great:(. I guess I will just have to wait until my #'s get up there!!! (unless anyone here wants to take me) Just kidding, I trust my friend and if he says he would feel more comfortable with someone with 100 jumps or more then i respect him for being extra cautious. I guess I better get jumping so I can fly with the birds :D

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Shelly;):D
~Shelly

Its not just jump number related but more a factor of how comfortable is the rider ( and the ridee ) in going into unusal attitudes. Some low time jumpers haven't funnelled since AFF or hate doing it regardless. Its better if they are comfortable and maybe do a little free fly.

As far as what not to touch, its hard to get around the wings to accidentally grab a handle so in that respect its a safer rodeo. You can still grab a hacky and need to be aware of that.

Once in stable flight the rider can instigate a turn by putting a knee down on the trailing edge of the wing and the pilot won't be able to counter correct for it. In rodeos the rider does not need to have their legs draped down and locked around the pilot, this acts as a tremendous belly brake and slows down forward flight. Simply hold on to the harness at the shoulders. The rest of your body should just be laying on top of the wingsuit and legs along the pilots waist or behind the wing if possible.

The low time rider is usually a better rider in that once the flight is stable they sit quietly on the back most often below the burble and let the pilot do the flying. I prefer those jumpers as compared to the high time free fly goddess that likes to spank the monkey. This is fine for that crazy free fly hybrid gone bad but creates wild occilations were the wingsuit is along for the ride instead of the other way around.
Then again if its preplanned a little spanking can be fun for all.

Michelle, what about a rodeo flocking dive for your 100 with video and maybe stills?! ;)

Here my thinking : what I bird should be really looking for in ANY rider is ability to keep low adrenaline during a plane ride, exit, flight and breakoff (low jumps+lots of variables=high stress), full altitude awareness, ability to follow the plan without major brainlocks, being comfortable with having to roll off bird's back and recover from totally unstable breakoff, being able to have a firm, yet relaxed hold on bird's rig (no monkey reflexes, just let go if you need), being ready to adjust COG if necessary according to what had been agreed at dirtdive and to be able to pull at an appropriate altitude - higher if the bird has spotted you long.
And the most important to be relaxed and have fun!

It will help if you have done rear-float exits when you have to anticipate the count and put yourself low realtively to the center floater.
The rodeo exit is easy when the rider leaves right on time and puts himself low on the bird's back.
We found that it works the best when the rider holds the bird's rig with his hands somewhere in the middle and squeezes the lower part of it with his elbows to stay as close as possible.

Michelle, what about a rodeo flocking dive for your 100 with video and maybe stills?! ;)

That sounds like fun:D.Is that a promise;) yeah that is the best idea i have herd of yet:ph34r:.

Anyway, see you at jumptown I will be there the whole weekend of the 100-way hopefully will have my gear set up so I can jump my butt off and not spend all of my cash on rentals:(.

Unfortunately I wont be there this weekend:( I have a wedding.

Thanks Nick, see you soon.

Shelly:ph34r::D

~Shelly

Simply hold on to the harness at the shoulders. The rest of your body should just be laying on top of the wingsuit and legs along the pilots waist or behind the wing if possible.

This is where the horseriding comes in. Riders know how to hold on with their knees, and might not need to hold on to the rig.

Then again if its preplanned a little spanking can be fun for all.

No comment :o;)
Johan.
I am. I think.

I've done 2 rodeo dives with the same person on my back. She doesn't have a lot of jumps - 170 or so - but she is a good little skydiver.

The first couldn't have gone smoother...exit was great, she never interfered with my flying and when she exited my back she left cleanly. The second dive the exit was fine but we were spinning for a bit due to some sort of drag or interference with a wing or something. When she left my back I did a 90 and I observed what could be a potential problem with a rider if you are having other people following you....the potential for a high velocity mid-air exists! Luckily, we had one very experienced and excellent person following and videoing so it wasn't a problem but I can see the potential for disaster.

When the rider drops off, they aren't tracking at 60-70 mph and everybody else is flying towards them at high speed. If the rodeo pair does a sudden 90 degree turn like we did you suddenly cross paths with people following you.

My thoughts are that the rodeo pair should wave off before exiting...either by the rider or the wingsuit closing his legs...whatever works...so that following jumpers can break off before the rider exits and minimize the chances of a midair.

Makes me think that it is important to have heads up people following. I'm interested in what other peoplethink.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

What about this....
How many Birdman jumps (or better yet, what abilities should one have on a wingsuit) before they start taking passengers?

I want to be able to perform flips and rolls and try to induce instability/recovery before I attempt to take any passengers.

what abilities should one have on a wingsuit) before they start taking passengers?

It is imperative that you are confident in your ability to recover from any instability issues and in any orientation from simple tumbles to spins rotating on any/all axis. Most instability issues with a passenger can usually be worked out if the pilot is heads up and can adjust to what is going on.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm with you on this one; I've been the bird and I've been the rider. It can go alright and it can go to hell very easily.

At 32 jumps I'd be more inclined to focus on developing my basic skydiving skills and awareness. I honestly recommend giving them a little more time to grow, so you know you can handle situations that may arise (like a reserve in your face).

But that's me and at the end of the day, its your call!:P

(Edited to correct poor spelling.)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."