skydiveguy

Deployment

I am looking into taking my first flight on a Bird-Man this coming weekend and have become a little confused about the deployment method.

From the Bird-Man website their manual states:

Your legs should remain straight and closed the entire time to decrease the burble

But when I have talked to a BMI about deployment he mentioned that they have revised the method to more of a "sitting" deployment.

What are experienced flyers thoughts on either process?

I will be flying a Javelin Odyssey (unmodified for wing suit flight) with a Nitron 135 with an approximate loading of 1.4 (I have about 600 jumps, 300 of which are on the Nitron 135)

just my advice, I would consider another canopy (more square, and less loaded) and also at least a bigger PC and longer bridle...
but small loaded canopies with "standard" PC and bridle also work...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

But when I have talked to a BMI about deployment he mentioned that they have revised the method to more of a "sitting" deployment.

What some jumpers do to kill forward speed and increase their downward trajectory is bring the legs up like in a squat. This is more of a fluid movement and not a position. In some cases this helps decrease the "trap door effect" of having your feet whipped out in front of you like a tandem ride. As the deployments starts to pull you upright it looks very much like you are sitting.

IMPORTANT: at no time should you legs and feet be brought up and BEHIND your body like in a hard arch. You want to avoid the D-bag from striking your heels and spinning up as it comes off your back.

just my advice, I would consider another canopy (more square, and less loaded) and also at least a bigger PC and longer bridle...
but small loaded canopies with "standard" PC and bridle also work...

This is something I have thought deeply about... the Nitron has always handled very well in line twists as far as flying straight and flat (although there is always a first time for everything), but I also look at it from this perspective:

1) new form of skydiving
2) borrowed gear
3) different handle if I use another rig (I use a javelin freefly pud handle on a throw out BOC)
4) not only will I have a suit to get used to.... I will also have to remember I am flying a different canopy.

Anyone that understands how accidents tend to happen will tell you that they happen due to a bunch of small things going wrong to add up to one big problem.

I would rather use the gear I trust and know like the back of my hand.

(Rememebr that most fatalities in this sport happen when using unfamillair or borrowed gear)

But I can agree with you on this which is making me feel torn between what to jump.

Ditto Vectoboy and Manbird. This does amount to a sit, but only in the understanding of the projectory. The relative sit on deployment the rw flyers understand is only a slight dementional degree to the true deployment sequence of wingsuit flight, dependent on a number of factors. To the newby, probably a OK senerio.

Vectorboy, you are the luckiest soul to have found your ripcord after the time and space elapsed. Cool!

Jump the canopy you are used to jumping all the time and have sucessfull on heading and no line twist openings on.
I personal jump a Nitron 98 and a Velocity 96 loaded about 2.0 out the door and have never had line twists and mostly on heading openings.
Jump the canopy you know BEST!
Reduce your forard speed by "relaxing" your legs for a few seconds before you pull. This will reduce your forward speed and you should be able to "watch" your pilot chute leave your hand at a slight angle as you deploy, rather than seeing it go straight up.
I do not use an extended bridal but I do make sure I have a strong throw out every time I deploy as to not get it back in my burble.
Try and get some BMI Instruction in person and do not reley on this forum for your first jump instruction on a wingsuit.
Hope this helps some.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Ditto what Ed says. I get puckered when some low timish jumper comes up and wants a wingsuit DEMO and they happen to regularly jump a high performance canopy but swear they get great deployments on it. I get worried enough to ask if they have access to a more docile rig and main. MORE times than not these individuals get nice deployments when they take their combo to wingsuit flight.

I get bummed when I give a person with many thousands of jumps who have many thousands of jumps on a very conservative main a wingsuit a ground class and blessing and have them report back that they had the worst line twists ever.

My new posture will be to stress a relaxed symmetrical deployment with an intimate knowledge of their current main and container before they take their current rig into wingsuit flight. Its their judgment that will keep them safe after all.

Just because you said that you can watch your pc leave in an angle: I strongly advice especially newbies not to watch their pc. A friend of mine new to ws-flying managed to do what I thought is impossible (because you just don't do what he did)...
After throwing the pc he felt a hesitation. So he looked for his pc... Because he was still moving forward, by doing so he managed to do a roll and flip into the opening. Got both hands trapped in the risers, wings still attached and therefore a lot of pull forces on the hands. Couldn't get them out while he was spinning down like a mf :o
Finally got his hands out, chopped and had a somewhat shortish reserve-ride...

Now, I personally jump a very hp-canopy even with my suit, but I surely never watch the pc, not even the opening. Why should you? Throw hard, concentrate on a good position and watch the horizon once the opening starts.

Just because you said that you can watch your pc leave in an angle: I strongly advice especially newbies not to watch their pc. A friend of mine new to ws-flying managed to do what I thought is impossible (because you just don't do what he did)...
After throwing the pc he felt a hesitation. So he looked for his pc... Because he was still moving forward, by doing so he managed to do a roll and flip into the opening. Got both hands trapped in the risers, wings still attached and therefore a lot of pull forces on the hands. Couldn't get them out while he was spinning down like a mf :o
Finally got his hands out, chopped and had a somewhat shortish reserve-ride...

Now, I personally jump a very hp-canopy even with my suit, but I surely never watch the pc, not even the opening. Why should you? Throw hard, concentrate on a good position and watch the horizon once the opening starts.

Sorry, but I strongly have to disagreee here.
It's VERY simple to turn your head to the side and watch the pilot chute as it leaves your hand without flipping onto your side.
Throwing blindly and waiting for the feel of the canopy to stand you up and open will surely lead to thinking you have a pilot chute in tow.
The time you "think you had a good hard throw", and didn't watch it leave your hand, is probably when it's dancing around in your burble, just like your friend experienced.
This is when they "freak out" and over do the "head turn", then roll onto their side trying to see the pilot chute or clear it from their burble.
I teach all my AFF studednts the same thing when they are throwing out the PC too.
A simple turn of the head, then watch the PC leave your hand and go out of your periferal vision is all it takes.
NOT rolling onto your back to making sure its pulling out your main canopy because you didnt make the effort the first time to "SEE" it was a good throw.
Do what you feel is good for you, but I will always teach that seeing the pilot chute leave your hand the first time is better than having to look for it a second time a thousand feet lower. ;)

-

Sorry, but I strongly have to disagreee here.
It's VERY simple to turn your head to the side and watch the pilot chute as it leaves your hand without flipping onto your side.

It is simple to do but not everyone can do it without dipping a shoulder. Dipping the shoulder during deployment increases your chance of some line twists.

do not reley on this forum for your first jump instruction on a wingsuit.

I completely agree here, I have been working with a couple local experienced wing suit jumpers and getting feedback where ever possible.

I have also been in contact with Vladi about my first flight (on recommendation from a BM-I at Sunpath... Thanks Lyle!)

There will definately be a lot of dirt diving and planning before I take the first flight.

Thanks for all the feedback people!

I completely agree here, I have been working with a couple local experienced wing suit jumpers and getting feedback where ever possible.

I have also been in contact with Vladi about my first flight (on recommendation from a BM-I at Sunpath... Thanks Lyle!)

There will definately be a lot of dirt diving and planning before I take the first flight.

Thanks for all the feedback people!

Great!
Good luck and tell Vladi I said Hi for me would you.

-

It is simple to do but not everyone can do it without dipping a shoulder.

Then IMO they are NOT ready to jump the wingsuit![:/]

-

I kind of have to go with Ed on this one. You look at your wristmount altimeter without turning. If you have issues with your body turning when you glance to the left or right, then you really aren't ready for something that's so demanding of a symmetrical body position. Besides, reading Ed's post, it doesn't sound like he's looking for a drastic movement -- just catch the PC in your peripheral vision. It's one of a few reasons why I have a hot pink PC.

All that aside, the basic idea is to have a clean deployment. Stay symmetrical and make sure your PC clears your burble. There are different ways to accomplish this and different ways to check that everything went right. Once you're experienced with a wingsuit, you may find that you prefer a different method that works just as well. Until then, listen to your instructor! S/he has the experience to know what works.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

.....so wrong !!!! (IMHO)
It is always good to know what is going behind. The best way to know that is to see ( by your eyes, of course)!!

...to ketch the moment were the PC leaving off from your behind, you just need to bend your neck for fragment of a second. This is not hard and this can't really disturb the flight at all.
My sugestion is :
Try to see as much as you can. Eyes are one of the most accurate sensors we have :)
Regards
robi
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

.....so wrong !!!! (IMHO)
It is always good to know what is going behind. The best way to know that is to see ( by your eyes, of course)!!

...to ketch the moment were the PC leaving off from your behind, you just need to bend your neck for fragment of a second. This is not hard and this can't really disturb the flight at all.
My sugestion is :
Try to see as much as you can. Eyes are one of the most accurate sensors we have :)
Regards
robi

Hi Robert
I am hoping you replied to the wrong person.
I have stated I BELIEVE in seeing the pilot chute leave your hand and get into CLEAN air.
I do agree the eyes work best!

-